Headphone for gaming and normal use

Megazero

So my Gamidas headphone seem like it's gonna kick the bucket soon (dont buy them), and I already have a separate mic so I wont really need a headphone with one, I just want a good decent headphone for gaming and normal use like watching youtube, listen to music, movie etc. Im consider something around 100 CAD, the less the better, so for now... HyperX Cloud Stinger, Core, Audio Technica M50X (2nd hand sometime ppl sell for around 110 CAD or so with ship?) Any idea which one should I go for? Or any other option :P?

Ah crap, I thought I was in the audio subforum? if a mod see this can you move this topic over :P?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

11 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Audio Technica M50X

Gets my vote. Great headphones, can't go wrong. Sound amazing, are comfortable, relatively affordable. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Stinger had this core like sounds signature according to review and my own experience but the mic is kinda worse and also the build quality.

If u want to save some money just buy the stinger. u do know that stinger and cloud core is not a headphone right? but the mic on the core is detachable so.

M50x is a monitoring headphone while the signature is not entirely close to flat most people call it a bad headphone for monitoring and people often avoid it, for gaming i think u have to tinker with the EQ to bring out them sounds so it wont sounds too flat.

I have no experience with M50x though.

Well... Im not really an audiophile or whatever so I have no idea xD I just want something that work well out of the box :P these 3 are what I usually see/heard about the most, so they are all I know. Any other suggestion?

When u talk about not a headphone u mean those 2 have the dual cable instead of only 1 right? I dont mind that too much since this one will probably only stay at my desktop, when I go out I'd bring either a bluetooth one or a normal inear one as they as easier to just tuck away.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Being the audiophile that I am, I'd say AKG or AudioTechnica are good choices. Sony headphones are good if you get the right ones. The best thing to do is to try them to be honest; not everyone's ears are the same so you need to see for yourself which you like.

Just now, Tassadar638 said:

Being the audiophile that I am, I'd say AKG or AudioTechnica are good choices. Sony headphones are good if you get the right ones. The best thing to do is to try them to be honest; not everyone's ears are the same so you need to see for yourself which you like.

Living in a city like Windsor really dont allow me too many chances at finding them for trying on myself :P I'd probably get them from ebay or amazon :P 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Gets my vote. Great headphones, can't go wrong. Sound amazing, are comfortable, relatively affordable. 

You can always go wrong with audio.

3 hours ago, Megazero said:

So my Gamidas headphone seem like it's gonna kick the bucket soon (dont buy them), and I already have a separate mic so I wont really need a headphone with one, I just want a good decent headphone for gaming and normal use like watching youtube, listen to music, movie etc. Im consider something around 100 CAD, the less the better, so for now... HyperX Cloud Stinger, Core, Audio Technica M50X (2nd hand sometime ppl sell for around 110 CAD or so with ship?) Any idea which one should I go for? Or any other option :P?

Ah crap, I thought I was in the audio subforum? if a mod see this can you move this topic over :P?

I would highly recommend to not get M50x, their mid-bass leaks into the mids making them a bit muddy, their highs are sharp and they have zero soundtage which makes them really bad for FPS games. If you can get HD 558 and you don't have a problem with them leaking sound,  then I would highly recommend doing so. 

3 hours ago, L.Lawliet said:

Stinger had this core like sounds signature according to review and my own experience but the mic is kinda worse and also the build quality.

If u want to save some money just buy the stinger. u do know that stinger and cloud core is not a headphone right? but the mic on the core is detachable so.

M50x is a monitoring headphone while the signature is not entirely close to flat most people call it a bad headphone for monitoring and people often avoid it, for gaming i think u have to tinker with the EQ to bring out them sounds so it wont sounds too flat.

I have no experience with M50x though.

M50x are not even close to being flat,  the flat thing is 100% a myth. It is very much a V shaped headphone, meaning they have a bass boost and in this case it isn't small and they have a boost in the highs.

The first graph is the M50x, the second is a pair of ultimate ear reference monitor IEMs, the IEM is there just for you to get an idea of how wrong that m50x flatness myth is. 

Spoiler

AudioTechnica_ATHM50_Graph_FRCompare.jpg.86fe8357ec84bb4ef9a1662d142365b8.jpgfr.thumb.png.79415d0a8c33150461daf64dc07eee80.png

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

You can always go wrong with audio.

I would highly recommend to not get M50x, their mid-bass leaks into the mids making them a bit muddy, their highs are sharp and they have zero soundtage which makes them really bad for FPS games. If you can get HD 558 and you don't have a problem with them leaking sound,  then I would highly recommend doing so. 

M50x are not even close to being flat,  the flat thing is 100% a myth. It is very much a V shaped headphone, meaning they have a bass boost and in this case it isn't small and they have a boost in the highs.

The first graph is the M50x, the second is a pair of ultimate ear reference monitor IEMs, the IEM is there just for you to get an idea of how wrong that m50x flatness myth is. 

Reveal hidden contents

AudioTechnica_ATHM50_Graph_FRCompare.jpg.86fe8357ec84bb4ef9a1662d142365b8.jpgfr.thumb.png.79415d0a8c33150461daf64dc07eee80.png

Yeah, after looking around abit more it seem like the M40x get more recommend compare to the M50x, but either way it seem like they will both suck for gaming with small soundstage, and I dont want to get an open headphone since my fan and aircon is pretty noisy so... Cloud Core it is. 

19 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Yeah, after looking around abit more it seem like the M40x get more recommend compare to the M50x, but either way it seem like they will both suck for gaming with small soundstage, and I dont want to get an open headphone since my fan and aircon is pretty noisy so... Cloud Core it is. 

maybe give the creative aurvana live! a look

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

23 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

would highly recommend to not get M50x, their mid-bass leaks into the mids making them a bit muddy, their highs are sharp and they have zero soundtage which makes them really bad for FPS games. If you can get HD 558 and you don't have a problem with them leaking sound,  then I would highly recommend doing so. 

Obligatory shitting on cheap and accessible headphones for the sake of being an audiophile. 

Real people tend to love those headphones, every mention of them results in an attack of some degree. 

Maybe it’s because I own a pair, but I don’t really see (or I guess hear) the things you are describing at all. 

Its too late anyway, OP went for neither. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Obligatory shitting on cheap and accessible headphones for the sake of being an audiophile. 

Real people tend to love those headphones, every mention of them results in an attack of some degree. 

Maybe it’s because I own a pair, but I don’t really see (or I guess hear) the things you are describing at all. 

shitting on cheap headphones? what are you on about? I just recommended even cheaper headphones, which are better....

I often recommend cheap headphones, like CAL, Porta Pro, HD 558, COPP and many really cheap IEMs, but I guess that you got mad because I talk badly about a headphone you own, but guess what I also own them.

Spoiler

IMG_20170927_080826.thumb.jpg.5bc5f36e020c91bd33dadc1132f09e6d.jpg

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

guess that you got mad because I talk badly about a headphone you own, but guess what I also own them.

To be mad I would have to agree with your assessment on some fundamental level, and I don’t. I own them and really like them so for me even if you claims were factually correct it wouldn’t change the fact that they are extremely well liked by real people, not the snooty people in the audiophile community. 

I regard those people like I regard English majors. You can interpret that how you will though. 

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well, one thing we can agree to disagree on is.....sound, or rather, how one perceives sound, plus one's own personal biasness. I don't claim to be an audiophile though I do own some pretty good gear, and I'd seriously auditioned the M50x that so seemed to be so well liked by some. Perhaps I have heard cleaner and clearer sounding cans, but the M50x sounded so....narrow/compressed (won't comment on other aspects of the sound which I didn't like), definitely not something I'd look for in a pair of cans that I'd use for gaming. Perhaps I'm spoiled as I have a few used cans (Philips Fidelio X1, Fostex T50RP + Alpha Pads (still lower than a brand new M50X) that I'd bought which spank the M50X silly.

Mind you, I do not hate Audio Technica (owner of the ATH-AD700X, ATH-R70X, and ATH-A900X Ltd Ed) and I love these badboys. One reason why I think the M50X is liked is due to the probability that many who own the M50X have not tried others (perhaps less well-known but possibly 'better' cans) that are similarly priced. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

To be mad I would have to agree with your assessment on some fundamental level, and I don’t. I own them and really like them so for me even if you claims were factually correct it wouldn’t change the fact that they are extremely well liked by real people, not the snooty people in the audiophile community. 

I regard those people like I regard English majors. You can interpret that how you will though. 

And all the power to you, the only thing that matters for you is that you like them.

so suddenly I am snooty? I won't recommend headphones that offer somewhat bad/meh audio quality for their normal price, if they suddenly become 90-100$ for their normal new price, then I would have no problem recommending them, since that is the price range I would put their sound quality in. I only want to recommend headphones and general audio gear that offer a good value for their price. 

I don't think a snooty "audiophile" would recommend a lot of budget stuff like I do basically daily.

I also liked the M50's when I got them even though the highs were bugging me a bit, but then I started to train my ears and tested other budget stuff and it became more and more evident that I could get better mids, better highs and better bass for basically the same money.

The Custom one pro plus is a great alternative to the M50x's, they can have a fairly similar sound  signature depending on the bass port level you pick while offering more detail and less sharpness in the highs.

but again all that should matter to you is that you like them :) 

3 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

One reason why I think the M50X is liked is due to the probability that many who own the M50X have not tried others (perhaps less well-known cans) that are similarly priced. 

Yeah, they seem to be the first more "proper"(lack of better word) headphones for a lot of people, which is probably why they have seen such a hype.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

All of a sudden, audiophiles dont know shit about audio and "real people" actually knows about them. Has it ever occur to you that audiophiles tell people not to buy it because there's a better alternative for a cheaper price? Also the fact that we have most likely listen to expensive pairs of headphones and actually know what sounds wrong with the headphones below these levels?

It's like these people driving camry being snotty and yell at enthusiasts who drives expensive cars "you dont know anything about car because I drive the car everyone uses"

Man it must be fun being someone who have to teach you.

20 hours ago, Megazero said:

Living in a city like Windsor really dont allow me too many chances at finding them for trying on myself :P I'd probably get them from ebay or amazon :P 

If you find a Best Buy or The Source they'll usually let you try them on. Not sure how many of those are around in Windsor though. 

15 hours ago, Tassadar638 said:

If you find a Best Buy or The Source they'll usually let you try them on. Not sure how many of those are around in Windsor though. 

Dont think I've seen The Source, as for Best Buy... I know one exist around 2 hours of bus away so...

Either way I ordered the Cloud Core from Amazon already :P hope it will last long

7 hours ago, Megazero said:

Dont think I've seen The Source, as for Best Buy... I know one exist around 2 hours of bus away so...

Either way I ordered the Cloud Core from Amazon already :P hope it will last long

If you don't end up liking them you can always return them. Amazon's return policy is pretty good.

On 9/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, Tassadar638 said:

If you don't end up liking them you can always return them. Amazon's return policy is pretty good.

After using it for a while... I think the sound is good (I have nothing to compare to though), but it kinda feel too tight... I wonder if I should return it or not xD Is there anyway to make a headphone less tight?