Phasing from laptop to desktop for gaming

Hi all,

First post here, so bear with me.

I use my computer or laptop solely for gaming. I have a laptop with a I5-7300 HQ, 12GB of DDR4 Ram 2133Mhz, and a GTX-1050 ti. When I bought it it made sense to have a laptop, however these days it just sits on my desk all the time, so I'm thinking to get a desktop instead.

However, in early 2018 I will be travelling for 2 months and that is the only occasion where the laptop will come in handy.

- Why not keep the laptop until then, and then exchange for the desktop?

Stop judging me! :)

- So what do I want?

I want to build a desktop made of good value for money parts (or even used), which is good enough for now (better than the laptop) and that I can upgrade easily next year, without having to change motherboard to say the very least. So I am here to ask you all what parts do you recommend me getting.

• Case - 
  • CPU - 
  • RAM - 
  • Power Supply - 
  • Graphics Card - 
  • Other - 

I don't need peripherals like mouse keyboard or monitor, as I already have them.

1. Budget & Location

400 GBP (roughly 500 USD ish). United Kingdom.

2. Aim

Gaming at 1080p at 60+ FPS.

3. Monitors

2 monitors

4. Peripherals

No. I use Windows 10 and I would probably need a license.

5. Why are you upgrading?

See above.

15 minutes ago, Pulpamos said:

Hi all,

First post here, so bear with me.

I use my computer or laptop solely for gaming. I have a laptop with a I5-7300 HQ, 12GB of DDR4 Ram 2133Mhz, and a GTX-1050 ti. When I bought it it made sense to have a laptop, however these days it just sits on my desk all the time, so I'm thinking to get a desktop instead.

However, in early 2018 I will be travelling for 2 months and that is the only occasion where the laptop will come in handy.

- Why not keep the laptop until then, and then exchange for the desktop?

Stop judging me! :)

- So what do I want?

I want to build a desktop made of good value for money parts (or even used), which is good enough for now (better than the laptop) and that I can upgrade easily next year, without having to change motherboard to say the very least. So I am here to ask you all what parts do you recommend me getting.

• Case - 
  • CPU - 
  • RAM - 
  • Power Supply - 
  • Graphics Card - 
  • Other - 

I don't need peripherals like mouse keyboard or monitor, as I already have them.

1. Budget & Location

400 GBP (roughly 500 USD ish). United Kingdom.

2. Aim

Gaming at 1080p at 60+ FPS.

3. Monitors

2 monitors

4. Peripherals

No. I use Windows 10 and I would probably need a license.

5. Why are you upgrading?

See above.

You probably want a gtx1060, and either ryzen 3 1200 or ryzen 5 1600.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

A 1060 3GB or 6GB will eat up roughly half the budget alone so you're pretty much going to have to go all used. Even a 970 used is going for around 150 GBP on Ebay, which is crazy for a used card. Dropping down to a 960 just doesn't make sense since it will roughly equal the 1050 Ti in terms of performance.

A new Ryzen system with a used 970 is going to run you around 500GBP and a comparable Intel system is going to be about the same. (None of this factors in the cost of Windows either)

Beating the laptop at only 400GBP isn't going to be easy to say the least.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Save up a bit. You will probably get worse performance than your laptop at this price.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.