Can you lock a GPUs Franerate?

Go to solution Solved by Maxxtraxx,
8 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

I plan on going with a 11GBPS GTX 1080, specifically the AORUS Xtreme Edition, however im going "cheap" on peripherals, so Ill be using this Monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1J0B3Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1GT73PVC41YM4&colid=ZV08283R9PPF&th=1

It is a 2560x1440p Monitor (QHD), however is capped at 60Hz in the Refresh Rate, and the GTX 1080 11GBPS its overkill for 60Hz in QHD, so, can I cap the GPUs output to a maximum of 60Hz? I want the 11GBPS GTX 1080 because it will have a longer lifespan before bvecaoming obsolete, since im aiming at 1440p gaming for 3 years.

EDIT: Does this Monitor have speakers? I plan on going with the 2.1 Ch Logitech Z623

I own a 1080Ti and that very monitor. I love the card and the monitor, my gaming area is space constrained so I sit a bit closer to the monitor so the size is perfect for me. I love the IPS color quality and angles, the image is noticably crisper than the 1080p panel I had in both color quality and smoothness. My display was able to overclock to 85hz easily and with vsync on it works great. 

I'm not personally a big fan of 4k, I've tried it and was not impressed in any noticable way but I would love to have an ultrawide 3440x1440 IPS monitor as my personal preference... But they're silly expensive at the moment.

I am a fan of your choices, I can see no reason to call this monitor bad in any way and it is a good match for your gtx1080, with my old gtx1080 games like Witcher 3 with maxed settings would drop below 60fps at times if I recall correctly so I think it is a good match and more future proof than a 1070.

As far as gtx1080 from gigabyte/aorus goes, if you like it then go for it, I wouldn't feel great telling you to get the cheapest 1080 like say the Asus turbo model but a cheaper card with a quality cooler could save you some money... But YOU need to get what YOU want and like, not what people you don't know say because they think you should spend your money differently than how you want.

This monitor has speakers... Bad ones but they are there.

I plan on going with a 11GBPS GTX 1080, specifically the AORUS Xtreme Edition, however im going "cheap" on peripherals, so Ill be using this Monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1J0B3Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1GT73PVC41YM4&colid=ZV08283R9PPF&th=1

It is a 2560x1440p Monitor (QHD), however is capped at 60Hz in the Refresh Rate, and the GTX 1080 11GBPS its overkill for 60Hz in QHD, so, can I cap the GPUs output to a maximum of 60Hz? I want the 11GBPS GTX 1080 because it will have a longer lifespan before bvecaoming obsolete, since im aiming at 1440p gaming for 3 years.

EDIT: Does this Monitor have speakers? I plan on going with the 2.1 Ch Logitech Z623

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

It is a 2560x1440p Monitor (QHD), however is capped at 60Hz in the Refresh Rate, and the GTX 1080 11GBPS its overkill for 60Hz in QHD, so, can I cap the GPUs output to a maximum of 60Hz? I want the 11GBPS GTX 1080 because it will have a longer lifespan before bvecaoming obsolete, since im aiming at 1440p gaming for 3 years

Yes? That's what V-sync is. But locking it to 60hz won't make it last any longer.

Also, why waste the money on the extreme edition when there is 0 performance difference between it and a much cheaper 1080ti?

Just now, scighera2 said:

Yes? That's what V-sync is. But locking it to 60hz won't make it last any longer.

Also, why waste the money on the extreme edition when there is 0 performance difference between it and a much cheaper 1080ti?

he should just save his money and get the cheapest 1080 he can find and a better monitor lmao

i want to die

Why would you even buy a 1080 and pair it with this

My life

Just now, Lumi said:

he should just save his money and get the cheapest 1080 he can find and a better monitor lmao

he should have gotten a 1070 plus a monitor

My life

4 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

The most you can do is cap it, not lock it.

Use V-Sync or similar.

The Logitech Z623 are fantastic, I've had them for a few months now, absolutely love them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

1070 can handle ultra at 120+fps in new triple A games?

(at 1440p)

i want to die

1070 can't handle 1440p above 60hz. I understand wanting 1440p at 120+ fps. Maybe he's saving for a monitor.

Just now, Lumi said:

I'd guess the answer to that would be no, though I also haven't looked at many 1440p gtx 1070 benchmarks.

Going off of how my GTX 970 gets 40-60FPS on Hitman 2016 maxed out, the 1070 should have no issue at all with at least 60FPS on newer games, but I doubt it'd get up to 120+FPS unless you drop some settings.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, Lumi said:

I mean like if you only have a 60hz monitor dose it matter.

Also what AAA games we talking bout here

1070 can't handle 1440p above 60hz. I understand wanting 1440p at 120+ fps. Maybe he's saving for a monitor.

I would have gotten a 1070 plus a 60hz 1440p ultrawide or a 4k one.

Honestly unless you play CS:GO professionally  just stick with something under 75 hz 

My life

Just now, TheKDub said:

I'd guess the answer to that would be no, though I also haven't looked at many 1440p gtx 1070 benchmarks.

Going off of how my GTX 970 gets 40-60FPS on Hitman 2016 maxed out, the 1070 should have no issue at all with at least 60FPS on newer games, but I doubt it'd get up to 120+FPS unless you drop some settings.

I was gonna say because when I'm actually home and able to use my desktop my 980 struggles with getting 120+fps at 1080p with some of the modern games.

i want to die

I mean like if you only have a 60hz monitor dose it matter.

Also what AAA games we talking bout here

I would have gotten a 1070 plus a 60hz 1440p ultrawide or a 4k one.

Honestly unless you play CS:GO professionally  just stick with something under 75 hz 

I don't think you've experienced playing on a 120hz+ monitor.

It's like going from watching cheese come out of a cheese grater to buttery smooth 

i want to die

Just now, Lumi said:

I don't think you've experienced playing on a 120hz+ monitor.

It's going from watching cheese come out of a cheese grater to buttery smooth 

I own a 120hz monitor.I would prefer a larger display over a higher refresh rate anyday. But then again I don't play FPS's as much as you do probaly

My life

20 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

I mean, Vsync won't exactly cause a longer life span.  You could also try overclocking the monitor once you get it?  Assuming you go with both of these.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

The question is can you cap your GPU's frame output.  Yes, just get a program like Rivatuner statistics server or afterburner.  If your GPU is powerful enough to never go below 60 fps, or if you cap it at 55 it never goes below that, then theoretically the way I understand it you shouldn't see any tearing and it should be a smooth experience 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

6 minutes ago, nicolas2465 said:

The question is can you cap your GPU's frame output.  Yes, just get a program like Rivatuner statistics server or afterburner.  If your GPU is powerful enough to never go below 60 fps, or if you cap it at 55 it never goes below that, then theoretically the way I understand it you shouldn't see any tearing and it should be a smooth experience 

However it still causes increased latency, so doing this won't be any better then just using V-sync (through Nvidia control panel)

4 hours ago, scighera2 said:

However it still causes increased latency, so doing this won't be any better then just using V-sync (through Nvidia control panel)

Hmm I did not know that.  I still don't really get how to get a good setup for no tearing, aside from freesync and gsync

Just now, nicolas2465 said:

Hmm I did not know that.  I still don't really get how to get a good setup for no tearing, aside from freesync and gsync

The only was is by using vsync if you can't use freesync or gsync.

The only was is by using vsync if you can't use freesync or gsync.

I've heard that at high FPS/ high HZ monitors that tearing isn't really noticeable, though I've never had a monitor above 60hz so I can't say from experience

40 minutes ago, nicolas2465 said:

I've heard that at high FPS/ high HZ monitors that tearing isn't really noticeable, though I've never had a monitor above 60hz so I can't say from experience

I have a 1080ti and a 1050ti with 144hz and 60hz monitors and fast sync fixes any tearing above the refresh rates.

8 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

I own a 1080Ti and that very monitor. I love the card and the monitor, my gaming area is space constrained so I sit a bit closer to the monitor so the size is perfect for me. I love the IPS color quality and angles, the image is noticably crisper than the 1080p panel I had in both color quality and smoothness. My display was able to overclock to 85hz easily and with vsync on it works great. 

I'm not personally a big fan of 4k, I've tried it and was not impressed in any noticable way but I would love to have an ultrawide 3440x1440 IPS monitor as my personal preference... But they're silly expensive at the moment.

I am a fan of your choices, I can see no reason to call this monitor bad in any way and it is a good match for your gtx1080, with my old gtx1080 games like Witcher 3 with maxed settings would drop below 60fps at times if I recall correctly so I think it is a good match and more future proof than a 1070.

As far as gtx1080 from gigabyte/aorus goes, if you like it then go for it, I wouldn't feel great telling you to get the cheapest 1080 like say the Asus turbo model but a cheaper card with a quality cooler could save you some money... But YOU need to get what YOU want and like, not what people you don't know say because they think you should spend your money differently than how you want.

This monitor has speakers... Bad ones but they are there.

11 hours ago, scighera2 said:

its not a Ti, its an 11GBPD GTX 1080

Just now, DanielMDA said:

its not a Ti, its an 11GBPD GTX 1080

My bad, I thought you were talking about 11gb of Vram