Advice requested: new CPU and mobo

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new CPU and motherboard. Started out with an Acer Aspire X3995 pre-built unit and wanted to change my GPU. Even with a new PSU (Corsair Bronze Plus 450W) my unit wouldn't accept another GPU except from the Nvidia GT 620. 

I've got:

i5-3470 quad-core @3.4GHz

DIB75L-Lena motherboard

8 GB RAM DDR3 (2×4, Kingston)

1 TB HDD

Gigabyte GeForce GTx 1050ti

Corsair Bronze Plus 450W

Windows 7 Home Premium (which I still like a lot more thab Windows 8 and 10)

The current mobo is insufficient and has to go. I'm looking for something compatible with the GTx 1050ti and with approximately (or a bit more) the same performance as the current CPU. Budgetwise, I'd say around $400. 

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, Thom27 said:

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a new CPU and motherboard. Started out with an Acer Aspire X3995 pre-built unit and wanted to change my GPU. Even with a new PSU (Corsair Bronze Plus 450W) my unit wouldn't accept another GPU except from the Nvidia GT 620. 

I've got:

DIB75L-Lena motherboard

1 TB HDD

Corsair Bronze Plus 450W

The current mobo is insufficient and has to go. I'm looking for something compatible with the GTx 1050ti and with approximately (or a bit more) the same performance as the current CPU. Budgetwise, I'd say around $400. 

Any ideas?

You could sell the current cpu, motherboard and ram as combo, and then easily get yourself a ryzen 1600x 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

You could sell the current cpu, motherboard and ram as combo, and then easily get yourself a ryzen 1600x 

7700k is on sale,I would get that

My life

A 1050 Ti will work with just about anything that has a PCIe x16 slot. Your Acer very likely had a 25W limitation on the PCIe slot. Lots of cheap prebuilts do this.

Consider the Ryzen 5 1600 and a B350 board, paired with 8 or 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM (depending on cost). You'll see leaps and bounds over what you've got currently.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, Himommies said:

7700k is on sale,I would get that

In store only :(

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

In store only :(

i'm just going to assume he lives near one by probality

If you don't live near one just get a R5 1600

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

There need to be more Micro Centers in the world. Just sayin'.

The thing to consider is that you also would need ram: All current platforms need DDR4 so you can't use your current memory either. If you want something now I'd recommend a B350 motherboard + Ryzen 1600 + 16gb ddr4 2666mhz memory:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($196.74 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($144.83 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $413.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-23 12:08 EDT-0400

EDIT 2: B350 board now

EDIT: With 400 USD you can fit 16gb ram

If you can wait maybe 2 weeks I'd do that since you can probably get an i5 8600k which is likely to be a 6 core chip. Budget might not work but even the locked i5 chips by being clocked substantially higher than the Ryzen chips will probably do well for comparable prices.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-A320M-HD2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($144.83 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $401.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-23 12:00 EDT-0400

that board cant overclock ryzen!  

Thanks all for the fast responses to my question and apologies for a slow reply, I've had some personal things to deal with.

On 23-9-2017 at 5:50 PM, Himommies said:

Unfortunately, I live in the EU, in the Netherlands to be more precise, but as far as I'm concerned, stating a budget in dollars works better than in euros..

On 23-9-2017 at 5:47 PM, 8-Bit Ninja said:

How much would you reckon my current hardware can be sold for? Don't think it would be worth more than $100 if I'd throw the old PSU in it as well..

On 23-9-2017 at 5:48 PM, aisle9 said:

A 1050 Ti will work with just about anything that has a PCIe x16 slot. Your Acer very likely had a 25W limitation on the PCIe slot. Lots of cheap prebuilts do this.

Consider the Ryzen 5 1600 and a B350 board, paired with 8 or 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM (depending on cost). You'll see leaps and bounds over what you've got currently.

On 23-9-2017 at 5:58 PM, Misanthrope said:

The thing to consider is that you also would need ram: All current platforms need DDR4 so you can't use your current memory either. If you want something now I'd recommend a B350 motherboard + Ryzen 1600 + 16gb ddr4 2666mhz memory:

I'm guessing you're both referring to the Ryzen 5 1600 6x3.2 GHz. In that respect, how much difference would the RAM make, 3200 or 2666 (or any other)? Would I notice a lot of difference? And lastly, would my PSU of 450W still be enough for all this? I'm thinking it does, looking at the current power consumption..

11 minutes ago, Thom27 said:

I'm guessing you're both referring to the Ryzen 5 1600 6x3.2 GHz. In that respect, how much difference would the RAM make, 3200 or 2666 (or any other)? Would I notice a lot of difference? And lastly, would my PSU of 450W still be enough for all this? I'm thinking it does, looking at the current power consumption..

2666 to 3200 is 5 FPS or so on only some games: You're mostly ok with just 2666

-------

Current Rig

-------

38 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

2666 to 3200 is 5 FPS or so on only some games: You're mostly ok with just 2666

Techdeals was using a 1060 for his benchmarking hardware unbox showed that once you go over a 1070 performance does start to scale quite up with ram speed. 

In the future lets say you are getting a 1080Ti like card for 300$ then 2666mhz memory can be bottlenecking the user quite a bit more then 3200mhz 

At around 6:55 in you can see BF1 seeing a 25FPS improvement from 2133mhz to 3200mhz and a 12fps improvement using 3200mhz over 2666mhz. 

5:50 in you can see Mafia 3 gain 30fps from 3200 over 2133mhz and 20fps higher from using 3200mhz over 2666mhz on a 1080Ti. 

2 hours ago, jdwii said:

Techdeals was using a 1060 for his benchmarking hardware unbox showed that once you go over a 1070 performance does start to scale quite up with ram speed. 

In the future lets say you are getting a 1080Ti like card for 300$ then 2666mhz memory can be bottlenecking the user quite a bit more then 3200mhz 

At around 6:55 in you can see BF1 seeing a 25FPS improvement from 2133mhz to 3200mhz and a 12fps improvement using 3200mhz over 2666mhz. 

5:50 in you can see Mafia 3 gain 30fps from 3200 over 2133mhz and 20fps higher from using 3200mhz over 2666mhz on a 1080Ti. 

On 9/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, Thom27 said:

Hello all,

I've got:

DIB75L-Lena motherboard

1 TB HDD

Corsair Bronze Plus 450W

Any ideas?

Self explanatory: we don't predict beyond what the OP states which was 1050ti. If in the future he gets money for a GPU he can also get faster ram, in fact chances are it might be better supported by future Ryzen chips so your point is mostly mute: He sits at the bottom of those graphs where it matters little.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Thanks @Misanthrope. I know I could get a whole lot more performance-wise, but currently my hardware is stuck at playing GTA IV and Napoleon TW on the lowest settings, which is actually awful. Besides, this was quite an unplanned build, as I've almost replaced everything soon. I went with the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6x3.2, compatible mobo and ram.

I do have a perhaps dumb question remaining: is (re)installing the OS necessary? My Windows 7 is an Acer OEM-version (came with the prebuilt system), and there's hardly anything Acer left now..

It might not be absolutely necessary but it would be fairly tricky: You'd need to load the drivers on the machine before the upgrade and make sure you have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse cause Ryzen won't work with Windows 7 USB keyboard and mice until you install those drivers and those drivers are not easy to find (Some motherboard manufacturers do provide them) and in general it's not recommended to upgrade platforms without a clean install.

If you're concerned about the key I'm fairly sure you can just enter your windows 7 keys into windows 10 and it will activate fine with it (even though the trial period is technically over). Failing that Windows 10 works fully without a key: if it's not activated it just won't let you change wallpapers, task bar looks and small things like that but everything will work and there's no deactivation period it will just keep working like that while you sort it out or get another Windows 10 key.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Okay, well tomorrow everything should arrive so hopefully I've got things up and running fast. See if I can find so.e drivers for mouse and keyboard. If not, then there's always a hardware store nearby. Thank goodness it's weekend.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice so far!

On 9/23/2017 at 5:58 PM, Misanthrope said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $413.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-23 12:08 EDT-0400

EDIT 2: B350 board now

If you can wait maybe 2 weeks I'd do that since you can probably get an i5 8600k which is likely to be a 6 core chip. Budget might not work but even the locked i5 chips by being clocked substantially higher than the Ryzen chips will probably do well for comparable prices.

That mobo is a pure garbage.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, Thom27 said:

Okay, well tomorrow everything should arrive so hopefully I've got things up and running fast. See if I can find so.e drivers for mouse and keyboard. If not, then there's always a hardware store nearby. Thank goodness it's weekend.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice so far!

Tell me you didnt order the crappy Gigabyte mobo

21 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Tell me you didnt order the crappy Gigabyte mobo

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD B350 Socket AM4 Micro ATX - that's the one now. Why is it crappy? Because it doesn't support certain types of DDR4 memory?

Just now, Thom27 said:

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD B350 Socket AM4 Micro ATX - that's the one now. Why is it crappy? Because it doesn't support certain types of DDR4 memory?

Nah, it has total garbage VRM.

It will be fine unless you overclock over 1.35V/3.9GHz

Just now, dave_k said:

Nah, it has total garbage VRM

So what would be a better one? I see you're using an Asus, but would that still work with the gtx 1050? If not, then what other options?

14 minutes ago, Thom27 said:

So what would be a better one? I see you're using an Asus, but would that still work with the gtx 1050? If not, then what other options?

If you wont overclock too much it will be fine.