Advice requested: new CPU and mobo

52 minutes ago, dave_k said:

That mobo is a pure garbage.

Nevermind I've read your other comments. Yes this isn't an overclocking mobo and no I wouldn't put even 1.3v on it but a couple of things

1) You wouldn't need to to get to 1600x levels 3.7 all cores (1.275v in my case) which is a nice bump from 3.2

2) You wouldn't want to put more than 1.3 volts on the spire cooler anyway.

So if you want 4.0 all cores then you should be getting a substantially better motherboard and aftermarket cooling, possibly even a 1600x instead of a 1600.

However the mobo is not "pure garbage" it still has it's uses. I wouldn't overclock voltage too much and I wouldn't consider this a board that will last for like 5 years but for the price it gets things done, has 4 dimms (boards on this price level have 2 usually) and extra fan header, etc. A couple of bonuses.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Nevermind I've read your other comments. Yes this isn't an overclocking mobo and no I wouldn't put even 1.3v on it but a couple of things

1) You wouldn't need to to get to 1600x levels 3.7 all cores (1.275v in my case) which is a nice bump from 3.2

2) You wouldn't want to put more than 1.3 volts on the spire cooler anyway.

So if you want 4.0 all cores then you should be getting a substantially better motherboard and aftermarket cooling.

However the mobo is not "pure garbage" it still has it's uses. I wouldn't overclock voltage too much and I wouldn't consider this a board that will last for like 5 years but for the price it gets things done, has 4 dimms (boards on this price level have 2 usually) and extra fan header, etc. A couple of bonuses.

Yeah, as i said, if he wont OC, it will be fine but dont expect to take the mobo and put Zen 2 8 core on it.

It makes me sad to recommend such things tho.

If you recommend one of the MSI B350 mATX, it would be better.

1600 runs at 3.4GHz all cores.

3.2 is baseclock that is used only on idle and with power plan different than Ryzen balanced.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

On 29-9-2017 at 5:07 PM, Misanthrope said:

It might not be absolutely necessary but it would be fairly tricky: You'd need to load the drivers on the machine before the upgrade and make sure you have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse cause Ryzen won't work with Windows 7 USB keyboard and mice until you install those drivers and those drivers are not easy to find (Some motherboard manufacturers do provide them) and in general it's not recommended to upgrade platforms without a clean install.

Sorry to quote you on this one, but your expectation became reality. Received the hardware, installed everything and apart from a POST beep, no BIOS screen and so on. So I've got myself a new version of Windows 7 HP (I know I should be moving on, but I don't like Windows 8.1 and 10 at all, this just feels a lot more intuitive to me) and made a boot disk. Saved all my important data, so I'm ready for a clean install.

Two things:

1. I've read about doing a sysprep *before* doing a clean install. Is this absolutely necessary? I know the custom image file could get me bettwr up to speed after the reinstalling of Windows, but that's not my priority now. Just want to get it on and get the new hardware working.

2. I should set the BIOS to prioritize starting from optical drive over HDD. However, will this work with the current state of new hardware (i.e. POST yes, rest no)?

1 hour ago, Thom27 said:

Sorry to quote you on this one, but your expectation became reality. Received the hardware, installed everything and apart from a POST beep, no BIOS screen and so on. So I've got myself a new version of Windows 7 HP (I know I should be moving on, but I don't like Windows 8.1 and 10 at all, this just feels a lot more intuitive to me) and made a boot disk. Saved all my important data, so I'm ready for a clean install.

Two things:

1. I've read about doing a sysprep *before* doing a clean install. Is this absolutely necessary? I know the custom image file could get me bettwr up to speed after the reinstalling of Windows, but that's not my priority now. Just want to get it on and get the new hardware working.

2. I should set the BIOS to prioritize starting from optical drive over HDD. However, will this work with the current state of new hardware (i.e. POST yes, rest no)?

1. Well if you don't have drivers for USB keyboard and mouse you might be unable to click "Next" and finish the install process so yes having some method before it's needed. If you can at all find a ps/2 keyboard and mouse (Assuming your motherboards have PS/2 port, some no longer have it) this is far easier.

2. You can actually tell your bios which specific order you want so it's optical, usb then internals the only thing is that during the install you'll have at least one reboot. Don't remember if it's a hard reboot in which case you might need to take out the cd or usb drive, I don't remember if that was addressed already in the Windows 7 install

-------

Current Rig

-------