650w PSU Enough For My Build?

UselessChimp

Hey All,

just wondering if the EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G2 PSU would be enough to power my planned build.  (also please point out any issues with my planned build in general) :D

Ryzen 5 1600/1600x

EVGA Superclocked GTX 1070

ASUS ROG Strix Mobo

2x 1tb HDD

1x 120GB SSD

1x Optical Drive

6x 140mm Case Fans

(Headroom For Potential Overclocking)

Thanks For Any Advice :D

yeah, i'd say your system draws about half, with some overclocking, you could run your system on 400W, but that's cutting it a bit close.. (max draw is around 350w)
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

a good 650w like the EVGA g2 would be a good choice with headroom to add say a 1080ti..

also, your system needs ram ;)

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

where abouts do you live? in the UK theres around 50 pounds between the 1070 and a 1080 so it may be worth looking into a 1080

7 minutes ago, Changis said:

yeah, i'd say your system draws about half, with some overclocking, you could run your system on 400W, but that's cutting it a bit close.. (max draw is around 350w)

a good 650w like the EVGA g2 would be a good choice with headroom to add say a 1080ti..

oops haha :D

I have 16gb ddr4 :P

6 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

where abouts do you live? in the UK theres around 50 pounds between the 1070 and a 1080 so it may be worth looking into a 1080

UK

Would a 1600x not have issues keeping up with a 1080?

(haven't got enough to get both 1080 and better CPU)

This Is My Current Intended GPU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-08G-P4-5173-KR/dp/B01L6QAPMY/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1506162675&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+1070

This Is the Cheapest 1080 I can find (that isn't reference or some weird foreign brand)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Geforce-Windforce-GeForce-Internal/dp/B01IR6LMLO/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1506162715&sr=1-7&keywords=gtx+1080

3 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

UK

i really only used the 1080ti as an example that your psu is more than good enough for your build..
your typical usage will probably be lower than 300W as rarely does a computer draw max power in games

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 minute ago, Changis said:

i really only used the 1080ti as an example that your psu is more than good enough for your build..
your typical usage will probably be lower than 300W as rarely does a computer draw max power in games

Oh yeah sorry I got that, I was responding to ImNotThere about him saying I should spend extra for a 1080. :P

14 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

UK

This Is My Current Intended GPU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support-08G-P4-5173-KR/dp/B01L6QAPMY/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1506162675&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+1070

This Is the Cheapest 1080 I can find (that isn't reference or some weird foreign brand)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Geforce-Windforce-GeForce-Internal/dp/B01IR6LMLO/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1506162715&sr=1-7&keywords=gtx+1080

1600X would handle the 1080 just fine, as would the 1600.

7 hours ago, Changis said:

Don't use the Outervision calculator. It drastically overestimates power draw and recommends a lot of random crap.

7 hours ago, UselessChimp said:

Hey All,

just wondering if the EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G2 PSU would be enough to power my planned build.  (also please point out any issues with my planned build in general) :D

Ryzen 5 1600/1600x

EVGA Superclocked GTX 1070

ASUS ROG Strix Mobo

2x 1tb HDD

1x 120GB SSD

1x Optical Drive

6x 140mm Case Fans

(Headroom For Potential Overclocking)

Thanks For Any Advice :D

Save yourself some money and get a Corsair TX550M on Newegg for about 42 bucks after a discount and MIR.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Don't use the Outervision calculator. It drastically overestimates power draw and recommends a lot of random crap.

Save yourself some money and get a Corsair TX550M on Newegg for about 42 bucks after a discount and MIR.

I'm In The UK so it works out more expensive :/

The question has to be asked: How long do you plan on keeping this rig?

I would also ask if when you upgrade this thing will you be stripping parts off of the old rig?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

2 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

The question has to be asked: How long do you plan on keeping this rig?

I would also ask if when you upgrade this thing will you be stripping parts off of the old rig?

I tend to upgrade every 1 to 1 1/2 years but plan on keeping this system for preferably 2 years due to higher price than previous upgrades

1 minute ago, UselessChimp said:

I tend to upgrade every 1 to 1 1/2 years but plan on keeping this system for preferably 2 years due to higher price than previous upgrades

Considering the (really) short cycle then spending a lot on psu might not be worth it.

That said you could buy a good 1000w Corsiar psu and be set for 7-10 years of upgrades.

28 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Considering the (really) short cycle then spending a lot on psu might not be worth it.

That said you could buy a good 1000w Corsiar psu and be set for 7-10 years of upgrades.

I'm trying to lower the price as much as possible as I'm already slightly over budget,

what would you say would be a good budget PSU for this build that is still of ok quality.

thanks in advance :D

I've had no issues with any Corsair psu in the last 10 years of building rigs for friends/family so I will suggest a HX750 (Assuming 80+ Platinum efficiency rating) but your original EVGA choice (again assuming 80+ platinum) would likely be my next go to as I can't easily recall any quality issues as of late from them but I would reach for a higher wattage if possible. My experience has shown you can never have too much wattage unless you're being electrocuted.

31 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

I've had no issues with any Corsair psu in the last 10 years of building rigs for friends/family so I will suggest a HX750 (Assuming 80+ Platinum efficiency rating) but your original EVGA choice (again assuming 80+ platinum) would likely be my next go to as I can't easily recall any quality issues as of late from them but I would reach for a higher wattage if possible. My experience has shown you can never have too much wattage unless you're being electrocuted.

Thanks for the advice but sadly HX750 costs at least £30/40 more than the SuperNova In the UK :P

Just now, UselessChimp said:

Thanks for the advice but sadly HX750 costs at least £30/40 more than the SuperNova In the UK :P

Yeah stateside its $10 cheaper. Isn't international commerce just grand!

Just now, Hybris5112 said:

Yeah stateside its $10 cheaper. Isn't international commerce just grand!

thanks for your help anyway :D