nootnoot1277

hey guys

so my Dell E520 Lan rig runs:
A Q6600

6GB DDR2 800
GTX 550ti
1tb WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm
400w 80+ Bronze psu.
so my problem is that the pc will run fine doing anything... mostly, i say mostly because at random times the pc goes on a Hanging fit where it will hang (mouse stops moving audio stutters Video stutters etc) which is really irritating when watching youtube but the thing is it doesn't seem to happen when gaming however that's yet to be confirmed.
now i can already see the comments of "ItS aN 11 YeAR oLd DeSKtop UpGrAde"  however this desktop runs fantastic aside from this hanging which isn't anything to do with its age as i ran an LGA 775 system with a weaker E7400 that worked flawlessly with no hanging so right now im starting to think its either a WIN 7 issue or the awful GTX 550ti and its drivers in it right now (it will be getting a 750ti or an RX460 soon).
anyone had this issue or know what it could be?

3 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

hey guys

so my Dell E520 Lan rig runs:
A Q6600

6GB DDR2 800
GTX 550ti
1tb WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm
400w 80+ Bronze psu.
so my problem is that the pc will run fine doing anything... mostly, i say mostly because at random times the pc goes on a Hanging fit where it will hang (mouse stops moving audio stutters Video stutters etc) which is really irritating when watching youtube but the thing is it doesn't seem to happen when gaming however that's yet to be confirmed.
now i can already see the comments of "ItS aN 11 YeAR oLd DeSKtop UpGrAde"  however this desktop runs fantastic aside from this hanging which isn't anything to do with its age as i ran an LGA 775 system with a weaker E7400 that worked flawlessly with no hanging so right now im starting to think its either a WIN 7 issue or the awful GTX 550ti and its drivers in it right now (it will be getting a 750ti or an RX460 soon).
anyone had this issue or know what it could be?

How's the thermals? I've run windows on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and 3GB of DDR2 533MHz no issues, so that PC should handle windows 7 ok. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

How's the thermals? I've run windows on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and 3GB of DDR2 533MHz no issues, so that PC should handle windows 7 ok. 

Thermals all good i run Intel burn in as soon as i finish installing Win 7 on any of my pc's and it passed all the test and as for the 550ti.... well its a 550ti it has dick all peformance and thus doesnt get hot but on a serious note i do watch speccy and their both waaaay within their average idle temp also the task manager doesn't show either the Ram or the CPU maxing at any point when it begins to stutter/hang.

11 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Thermals all good i run Intel burn in as soon as i finish installing Win 7 on any of my pc's and it passed all the test and as for the 550ti.... well its a 550ti it has dick all peformance and thus doesnt get hot but on a serious note i do watch speccy and their both waaaay within their average idle temp also the task manager doesn't show either the Ram or the CPU maxing at any point when it begins to stutter/hang.

Hmm, well then I'd suggest looking at task manager to see if your RAM is all used up, that would be my suggest, only think I can think of. 

Yours faithfully

Hmm, well then I'd suggest looking at task manager to see if your RAM is all used up, that would be my suggest, only think I can think of. 

like i said before it isnt maxing out my ram at all.

Just now, nootnoot1277 said:

like i said before it isnt maxing out my ram at all.

It won't either, windows memory manager will send some to the page file, on the HDD to keep some RAM free, how many GB are committed? My friend has an 8GB laptop but had over 12GB of page file in use and almost all his RAM, I got him an upgrade to 16GB and he noticed the laptop was a lot faster. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It won't either, windows memory manager will send some to the page file, on the HDD to keep some RAM free, how many GB are committed? My friend has an 8GB laptop but had over 12GB of page file in use and almost all his RAM, I got him an upgrade to 16GB and he noticed the laptop was a lot faster. 

All 6gb are detected and running in win 7. Taskmanager shows a usage of 2.5gb of ram while using Mozilla firefox running youtube and 3 other pages along with steam being open and the twitch launcher. i know the ram isnt the issue here as before i added the awful gpu it ran fine if i remember correctly. im putting this down as a driver issue however im having trouble finding older drivers for the 550ti

All 6gb are detected and running in win 7. Taskmanager shows a usage of 2.5gb of ram while using Mozilla firefox running youtube and 3 other pages along with steam being open and the twitch launcher. i know the ram isnt the issue here as before i added the awful gpu it ran fine if i remember correctly. im putting this down as a driver issue however im having trouble finding older drivers for the 550ti

I said pagefile, although with only 2.5GB used, the only things that would be in it, are things that need to be kept for a while. It's probably just windows or some task is randomly using 100% of CPU for brief periods of time. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I said pagefile, although with only 2.5GB used, the only things that would be in it, are things that need to be kept for a while. It's probably just windows or some task is randomly using 100% of CPU for brief periods of time. 

legit never heard of pagefile tbh and this is coming for a regular pc builder.

legit never heard of pagefile tbh and this is coming for a regular pc builder.

The page file is an area of your drive devoted to RAM duties. This could include: dumping the RAM to disk for low power state operation, ie standby, when the RAM wouldn't be powered, or when there simply isn't enough RAM, it will use the HDD as extra RAM (like how that one Firepro radeon card has like 2TB of video memory but it's SSD flash, so not as fast but there is so much). On windows it's dynamic but on Linux it's a fixed partition that is the same size as the RAM.

Yours faithfully

The page file is an area of your drive devoted to RAM duties. This could include: dumping the RAM to disk for low power state operation, ie standby, when the RAM wouldn't be powered, or when there simply isn't enough RAM, it will use the HDD as extra RAM (like how that one Firepro radeon card has like 2TB of video memory but it's SSD flash, so not as fast but there is so much). On windows it's dynamic but on Linux it's a fixed partition that is the same size as the RAM.

right i see.

Try update your SATA controller driver. 

In device manager it woud be "Standard SATA AHCI controller".

You can find the update in AMD/ INTEL offical site.

CPU:      OctalCore AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 4350 MHz (43.5 x 100)

MOBO:   MSI B450M Mortar Max (MS-7B89)

RAM:     2x Corsair CM4X16GC3200C16K2E 16 GB DDR4-3200 @ 24-20-20-38

GPU:      nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

PSU:      Sliverstone ST60F-PB 600W

Case:     Cooler Master Silencio S400

Monitor: 2x AOC U2790B  [27" LCD]

1 hour ago, Abukuma said:

Try update your SATA controller driver. 

In device manager it woud be "Standard SATA AHCI controller".

You can find the update in AMD/ INTEL offical site.

cheers ill look into it. its just that you would think the hangs would be more seen in gaming since so much is being loaded from the HDD yet in gaming theres none ive been playing L4D2 on it for the past hour and it never happened. its such a random glitch