Is this a good Thinkpad?

Okjoek

So people tell me good things about the Thinkpads and I want a laptop with good durability. I also appreciate the mouse nub on the keyboard and healthy IO selection.

Is this a good option?:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9SK6DW2723&cm_re=thinkpad-_-9SIA9SK6DW2723-_-Product

I already have an SSD so all I'd have to do is get an extra 4-8GB of RAM and then I'm cooking with fire right?

Honestly you should look for a used one, that one doesn't have an IPS screen and for 600$ the specs are a bit underwhelming. I can recommend the x2-- series and the T series.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

e series are essentially rebranded lenovo consumer machines under the ThinkPad banner, for an actual thinkpad look towards the t430 used or maybe w530 if you will consider a bigger machine.

idk

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Honestly you should look for a used one, that one doesn't have an IPS screen and for 600$ the specs are a bit underwhelming. I can recommend the x2-- series and the T series.

I'm not very experienced at shopping for laptops by display type, I mean resolution sure, but that's about it. What does IPS do? Isn't it just another kind of LCD screen? For laptops what even are the pros or cons of LCD and LED screens? And what are these "TN" things I hear people talk about?

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

e series are essentially rebranded lenovo consumer machines under the ThinkPad banner, for an actual thinkpad look towards the t430 used or maybe w530 if you will consider a bigger machine.

Those all seem to have 3rd generation Ivy Bridge processors. Am I searching wrong or is there anything newer?

I'd try to get something like a used T540P. I've used them a lot, and they're wonderful laptops. IPS and TN are different types of display technologies. TN is a lot cheaper, but looks cheaper too. It has (usually) hideous viewing angles. IPS doesn't have that, and IPS has much more accurate colors. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

currently thinkpads dont offer any good hardware for the price, not worth considering. Their lines say a lot of things but i cant find any hardware config mentioned nor any good pricing.  There are many other laptops that are durable.

The only advantage thinkpads have is being spillproof on the keyboard/surface but not below. Now only some thinkpads are spillproof, same with durability. Thinkpads arent what they used to be, now just overpriced low end machines, many dont even have thunderbolt 3 or expresscard.

The only good thing about thinkpads is that most of them still have gigabit ethernet port. Since both lenovo and dell ignore my pleas i discourage them and will be discouraging them in the future for any software i make.

Hows about something like this? It's modern hardware with the IPS display and seems affordable. For being so cheap I'm not sure where corners might have been cut...

It says aluminum Chassis, but IDK if that signals good build quality necessarily.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Convertible-Touchscreen-Bluetooth/dp/B01N9UY4MX/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1506092938&sr=1-4&keywords=laptop+IPS&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011

It can be made of Titanium but that doesn't mean it's not garbage. It's a low-end 500$ 2-in-1. It's going to be crap in terms of quality whatever you buy.
 Look for Business class machines as you had originally. Lenovo ThinkPad L, T, X series, Dell Latitude series, HP EliteBook series.  If you want durability - these product lines are what you want to be looking at.

47 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

I'm not very experienced at shopping for laptops by display type, I mean resolution sure, but that's about it. What does IPS do? Isn't it just another kind of LCD screen? For laptops what even are the pros or cons of LCD and LED screens? And what are these "TN" things I hear people talk about?

IPS gives you better colors and vieweing angles. It matters on small screens especially.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, NewReborn said:

It can be made of Titanium but that doesn't mean it's not garbage. It's a low-end 500$ 2-in-1. It's going to be crap in terms of quality whatever you buy.
 Look for Business class machines as you had originally. Lenovo ThinkPad L, T, X series, Dell Latitude series, HP EliteBook series.  If you want durability - these product lines are what you want to be looking at.

How about this? I'll settle for Haswell at that price.

duh. Forgot link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L540-20AV-CT01WW-i5-2-5GHz-250GB-4GB-15-6-Windows-10-Laptop-/322765195867?hash=item4b264e0a5b:g:b4EAAOSwgiRZwvAC

huh no power cord/adapter either... Maybe not IDK.

I think that that ThinkPad is not really a good one for the price to performance ratio. I have a ThinkPad T420 and it works great with its Core i5 2550U CPU, 4GB of Ram, and 320GB hard drive. I am soon going to upgrade to 8GB, although for your case and what you are going to be doing with the computer (not known) I recommend that you get one that gives a better price to performance ratio. I would suggest getting an Lenovo Idea pad laptop instead and adding a protective case to it. The ThinkPad lineup costs more and is not best for price to performance. Although if you must get a ThinkPad I suggest getting a slightly older version, I assure you that it will still perform well and save you money. Even if you get a ThinkPad with lower specs I think that is ok and in the future you will able to upgrade it when you need more power or there is a new piece of hardware that is launched. I wish you the best of luck on your journey to finding a new laptop computer.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch