AMD Ryzen voltage control settings

LAMSTER69

Hi Guys,

I have overclocked a Ryzen 7 CPU to 3.9Ghz @1.4V.

I have done a lot of OC'ing on intel and there is a adaptive settings where it only uses the overclock voltage when it needs and otherwise dials down the voltage.

Is there a settings for AMD that is similar to this. As of now it is pinned at that voltage regardless of the clock (AMD cool 'n' Quiet is enabled).

Motherboard is MSI B350M Bazooka

All feedback/advice is grealty appreciatred

Fire hazard warning

Ryzen 7 8core at 1.4V with that trashy MSI motherboard? The VRMs are baking themselves and if the total garbage highside overheats and fails, it will fry your CPU.

PS: call the SPD team

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

What you need is AMD ryzen balanced power plan, which is included in their raidxpert software. Install that and then change power plan settings to it, this allows the CPU to lower frequency and voltage when not needed.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

What you need is AMD ryzen balanced power plan, which is included in their raidxpert software. Install that and then change power plan settings to it, this allows the CPU to lower frequency and voltage when not needed.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

The mobo will explode before he manages to do that lol xD

Just now, dave_k said:

The mobo will explode before he manages to do that lol xD

Well, his choice...  I don't know about the VRMs on that board, but you could be right. I'm only running mine at 1.32Vcore at 3.85 on my 1700 with my ASrock Ab350M, made sure I got a board with half decent VRMs, this was only supposed to be a filler board for me until a good itx x370 board came out (bought fairly early on), but am so impressed with the features and abilities of this one that I decided to stick with it.

I don't think 1.4V is too bad, but as you say it depends on the VRMs and cooling thereof... Most VRMs IIRC can handle 125-150C with ease, but if they're not being cooled adequately then it's not going to take much to reach unsafe temps... that's about as much as I know about VRMs (or think I remember about them anyway) xD

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Well, his choice...  I don't know about the VRMs on that board, but you could be right. I'm only running mine at 1.32Vcore at 3.85 on my 1700 with my ASrock Ab350M, made sure I got a board with half decent VRMs, this was only supposed to be a filler board for me until a good itx x370 board came out (bought fairly early on), but am so impressed with the features and abilities of this one that I decided to stick with it.

I don't think 1.4V is too bad, but as you say it depends on the VRMs and cooling thereof... Most VRMs IIRC can handle 125-150C with ease, but if they're not being cooled adequately then it's not going to take much to reach unsafe temps... that's about as much as I know about VRMs (or think I remember about them anyway) xD

The MSI mobos are junk.

Asus will release ITX in october, you could get those becase they will certainly have better VRM than your ASRock.

Also, at the temps on the mobos (as OP has) with that voltage and R7 are so high they will blow up the caps.

The ASRock has huge drawback not having Digital voltage controller (isnt able to set things from BIOS like LLC).

Temperature over 100°C is always concerning and with the latest thermal data i saw from mobo with similiar trash VRM but R5 1600 at 1.4V (!!), these will run at 110 minimaly.

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

The MSI mobos are junk.

Asus will release ITX in october, you could get those becase they will certainly have better VRM than your ASRock.

Also, at the temps on the mobos (as OP has) with that voltage and R7 are so high they will blow up the caps.

The ASRock has huge drawback not having Digital voltage controller (isnt able to set things from BIOS like LLC).

Temperature over 100°C is always concerning and with the latest thermal data i saw from mobo with similiar trash VRM but R5 1600 at 1.4V (!!), these will run at 110 minimaly.

What will be better about the ASUS boards VRM then?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

What will be better about the ASUS boards VRM then?

Every ITX on AM4 has good VRMs except Biostar.

The ASRock B350 and X370, even the Gigabyte mITX.

Asus has usually nice parts, i would wait.

Asus has also good memory support and better BIOS than ASRock

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Every ITX on AM4 has good VRMs except Biostar.

The ASRock B350 and X370, even the Gigabyte mITX.

Asus has usually nice parts, i would wait.

Asus has also good memory support and better BIOS than ASRock

Sorry but that doesn't really answer the question. You said that the Asus board that's coming out would have better VRMs than my Asrock board has, better in what way?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry but that doesn't really answer the question. You said that the Asus board that's coming out would have better VRMs than my Asrock board has, better in what way?

Stronger and much more efficient components.

Your mobo is not optimal for R7 overclocking, i would stay at stock tbh.

The mobo you have is the middle of B350 VRM quality.

Stronger and much more efficient components.

Your mobo is not optimal for R7 overclocking, i would stay at stock tbh.

You dont have to wait and grab one of the ASRocks.

The mobo you have is the middle of B350 VRM quality.

Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about. Have had a very good OC on this board before, the only reason I am only OCed to 3.85 on this board right now is because I don't have a better CPU cooler. To suggest I stay at stock is ridiculous in the extreme. Even a board with crappy VRMs would manage a mid-OC with no problems.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

23 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about. Have had a very good OC on this board before, the only reason I am only OCed to 3.85 on this board right now is because I don't have a better CPU cooler. To suggest I stay at stock is ridiculous in the extreme. Even a board with crappy VRMs would manage a mid-OC with no problems.

VRM temps?

The VRMs are not that bad to influence the overclock quality, but it cuts off their lifespan

With stock cooler it will be fine

TLDR

using stock cooler - fine

having airflow over the vrm - fine

is it optimal - not really

He literally does this quite a bit.  Seems to enjoy showing up in other people's threads and either mocking their build or shitting on their motherboards.  I would take anything said as just good humor.  xD

I'm a big fan of all the sensationalized talk of explosions and self-destruction.  

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

He literally does this quite a bit.  Seems to enjoy showing up in other people's threads and either mocking their build or shitting on their motherboards.  I would take anything said as just good humor.  xD

I'm a big fan of all the sensationalized talk of explosions and self-destruction.  

I mean, who wants to blow up the mobo xD

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I mean, who wants to blow up the mobo?

Agreed and I sure don't.  The unfortunate thing is there'e very little failure data to support this happening in the definite way that you imply.    

The fact that you are actively posting in these threads indicates that you want to help and that's great.  A little less of the "Sky's falling" stuff and I'm sure people will appreciate the advice more.

1 hour ago, LAMSTER69 said:

Hi Guys,

I have overclocked a Ryzen 7 CPU to 3.9Ghz @1.4V.

I have done a lot of OC'ing on intel and there is a adaptive settings where it only uses the overclock voltage when it needs and otherwise dials down the voltage.

Is there a settings for AMD that is similar to this. As of now it is pinned at that voltage regardless of the clock (AMD cool 'n' Quiet is enabled).

Motherboard is MSI B350M Bazooka

All feedback/advice is grealty appreciatred

I don't recommend running a Ryzen 7 higher than 1.35v unless you are just trying to benchmark.

AMD recommends a 1.35v MAX on Ryzen 7 if you want longevity, with a 1.45v being the maximum safe voltage, but not for everyday usage.

I would suggest lowering to 1.35v and testing for stability, and even go lower if possible.

I personally just use Ryzen Master and enable my OC when I am doing CPU heavy tasks where I need the jolt.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Agreed and I sure don't.  The unfortunate thing is there'e very little failure data to support this happening in the definite way that you imply.    

The fact that you are actively posting in these threads indicates that you want to help and that's great.  A little less of the "Sky's falling" stuff and I'm sure people will appreciate the advice more.

It is usually hard to explain people, you sure know the stuff, no need to explain it to you.

Lets take an example.

I see in builds B350 Tomahawk everyday, i tell people "dont get it, it is garbage and not worth your money"

They fire back with a video of usually a guy on youtube, who has lets say 1000 subscribers and shows how brave he is when he puts R7 on the Tomahawk and amazingly overclocks it to 4GHz at 1.4V.

He doesnt mention that the VRMs got over 100°C, he usually doesnt even know that, but that is the problem with that part of the community.

They usually dont know that highside turns off, charges the choke, then turns off, then lowside turns on to mantain the voltage and current flow, then it goes through main capacitor bank and to the CPU.

The problem with some of the B350s is that they put excessive load on the highside array, mobo manafacturers nowadays dont know how to make a heatsink and you have one hell of a hot potato.

Thats why i always freak out, because people try to convince me that their overclock works and is stable. OK, thats good, no problem, but what about the VRM temps?

Would you risk frying your CPU? That chance is very small but exists

OP of this post exposes himself to chance of the VRM failure because the is pulling significantly more than is healthy for the VRM.

2 hours ago, dave_k said:

Fire hazard warning

Ryzen 7 8core at 1.4V with that trashy MSI motherboard? The VRMs are baking themselves and if the total garbage highside overheats and fails, it will fry your CPU.

PS: call the SPD team

I'll ahve you know, on OCCT for 15 minutes no higher than 70C and AIDA 64 for 36 hours no more than 50C.???????

3 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

I'll ahve you know, on OCCT for 15 minutes no higher than 70C and AIDA 64 for 36 hours no more than 50C.???????

Is it the VRM temp sensor?

I highly doubt it even exists on that mobo.

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Is it the VRM temp sensor?

I highly doubt it even exists on that mobo.

Here is a screen shot of HW monitor while the AIDA64 stress test was running. I leave it to you to let me know.

So is there a concerete answer? I am getting suggestions which seems to raise debates.

System Stress tests.png

13 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

Here is a screen shot of HW monitor while the AIDA64 stress test was running. I leave it to you to let me know.

So is there a concerete answer? I am getting suggestions which seems to raise debates.

System Stress tests.png

No VRM sensor.

Do you have IR thermometer?

Also, which cooler do you use and how big airflow

No VRM sensor.

Do you have IR thermometer?

Also, which cooler do you use and how big airflow

CASE fractal design define Mini C

2 120mm case fans on the front

CPU Cooler is noctua NH D15

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, LAMSTER69 said:

CASE fractal design define Mini C

2 120mm case fans on the front

CPU Cooler is noctua NH D15

Untitled.png

There is no VRM temperature sensor on the board.

Touch the heatsink while Aida64 stress after 20 minutes.

It is the worst possible scenario for VRM cooling and lifespan you got there

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

There is no VRM temperature sensor on the board.

Touch the heatsink while Aida64 stress after 20 minutes.

It is the worst possible scenario for VRM cooling and lifespan you got there

??? I am confused, please explain

and what heatsink? the CPU cooler?

The CPU cooler is warm on touch, no uncomfortable feeling at all whatsoever

You are worrying me now, a lot.