USB drive being weird

So I have a USB Drive, when I plug it into the front usb ports it doesn't work. When I plug it in the back however, it does. I tried plugging in a different usb port in the front ports, and it works just fine. So what the heck is going on here? I hope that explanation makes sense, it kinda sounds like a riddle.

Thanks 

1 minute ago, LinkofLight said:

So I have a USB Drive, when I plug it into the front usb ports it doesn't work. When I plug it in the back however, it does. I tried plugging in a different usb port in the front ports, and it works just fine. So what the heck is going on here? I hope that explanation makes sense, it kinda sounds like a riddle.

Thanks 

Maybe it's to do with the USB drive being a USB 2 and you don't have proper drivers installed to allow it to work with USB 3.0 (Your front ports) and it only works on the back ones.

1 minute ago, Takieght said:

Maybe it's to do with the USB drive being a USB 2 and you don't have proper drivers installed to allow it to work with USB 3.0 (Your front ports) and it only works on the back ones.

I thought that, but both of the drives I plugged into the front were usb 2 and one of them worked so that not it.

EDIT: I just realized the one that isn't working is USB 3, but I'm plugging it into a usb 3 port so whats the deal there.

Just now, LinkofLight said:

I thought that, but both of the drives I plugged into the front were usb 2 and one of them worked so that not it.

Hm. This does sound interesting.

3 minutes ago, Takieght said:

USB 3 and 2 are backwards compatible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah but sometimes using usb 2 drives on usb 3 ports can be a bit spotty

Just now, Enderman said:

Yes, but if the proper drivers weren't installed and it was a 3.0 port on top would it work without drivers? Like the actual port itself?

Just now, LinkofLight said:

Yeah but sometimes using usb 2 drives on usb 3 ports can be a bit spotty

No... because it is literally the exact same thing as plugging it into a USB 2 port... the USB 2 pins are wired identically.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because even using 3.0 USBS with a 3.0 port won't work if you don't have the drivers installed on windows 7.

Just now, Enderman said:

No... because it is literally the exact same thing as plugging it into a USB 2 port... the USB 2 pins are wired identically.

1 minute ago, Takieght said:

Yes, but if the proper drivers weren't installed and it was a 3.0 port on top would it work without drivers? Like the actual port itself?

Yeah, but the drive I plugged in that isn't working is 3.0 and I'm plugging it into a 3.0 port. I also am pretty sure I downloaded the drivers, but I may have to do that again just to check.

Just now, Takieght said:

Because even using 3.0 USBS with a 3.0 port won't work if you don't have the drivers installed on windows 7.

I'm running Windows 10

26 minutes ago, LinkofLight said:

I'm running Windows 10

Then I really am stumped on what the issue is :(

Okay, so I just re downloaded the drivers and it still doesn't work. I am going to try reformatting the drive and then see.

I realize this is probably the first thing checked... but is the USB header seated well on the Mobo? (Since it sounds like your dealing with an issue with a case I/O that isn't a problem on the mobo I/O)

Also, do any other usb drives/devices experience the same port discrepancy? Or does just this drive not work in that particular port?

6 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

I realize this is probably the first thing checked... but is the USB header seated well on the Mobo? (Since it sounds like your dealing with an issue with a case I/O that isn't a problem on the mobo I/O)

Also, do any other usb drives/devices experience the same port discrepancy? Or does just this drive not work in that particular port?

So the usb drive (3.0) doesn't work on my front usb ports (3.0), but anything else I plug in does. I also checked the motherboard and everything is in properly. Also, when I plug in the drive that isn't working into any other port in the computer it works just fine.

Hmmm... I'm stumped at the moment... I think you're plan of reformatting the drive is a good one... If it was me, my gut would only have marginal confidence in that being the fix. :( 

Have you checked Windows Disk Manager (I forget what the current Win 10 version is called) to see if the drive is detected but just not mounting?

3 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

Hmmm... I'm stumped at the moment... I think you're plan of reformatting the drive is a good one... If it was me, my gut would only have marginal confidence in that being the fix. :( 

Have you checked Windows Disk Manager (I forget what the current Win 10 version is called) to see if the drive is detected but just not mounting?

I reformatted it to no success, and it doesn't show up in Disk Manager when I plug it in to the front. 

2 minutes ago, LinkofLight said:

I reformatted it to no success, and it doesn't show up in Disk Manager when I plug it in to the front. 

To sum up:

3.0 USB flash drive FAILS in front 3.0 USB port

Other devices (2.0 & 3.0) WORK in the front 3.0 port

3.0 flash drive WORKS in the rear 3.0 port

Reformatting flash drive doesn't solve it

Flash drive in front USB doesn't appear in Disk Manager

Weird...Let's hope someone else has an idea...

I'm sorry mate... I'm at a loss :( 

Just now, Eclypseon said:

To sum up:

3.0 USB flash drive FAILS in front 3.0 USB port

Other devices (2.0 & 3.0) WORK in the front 3.0 port

3.0 flash drive WORKS in the rear 3.0 port

Reformatting flash drive doesn't solve it

Flash drive in front USB doesn't appear in Disk Manager

Weird...Let's hope someone else has an idea...

I'm sorry mate... I'm at a loss :( 

Yeah thats pretty much it, thanks for your suggestions