CPU On the other side of the Motherboard

Ghost_01

Hello everyone I am working on a project for school at the moment and I was wondering if there is such thing as Motherboard that has the CPU socket on the back side of it?

If not is there anyway of getting one made or Modifying a current CPU socket on the other side? If anyone has some answers that would be Great!

1 minute ago, Ghost_01 said:

Hello everyone I am working on a project for school at the moment and I was wondering if there is such thing as Motherboard that has the CPU socket on the back side of it?

If not is there anyway of getting one made or Modifying a current CPU socket on the other side? If anyone has some answers that would be Great!

No, there'd be no way to cool it, you can install the board upside down to have the CPU on the left side of the case, but no way to install a CPU on the back of a board, that's the dumbest idea I've heard for a normal board, what do you need it on the back for?

Yours faithfully

So the whole idea of the cpu on the other side of the board is to Have the case cool it while having fins on the outer side of the case for better heat reduction.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_01 said:

So the whole idea of the cpu on the other side of the board is to Have the case cool it while having fins on the outer side of the case for better heat reduction.

How would you even put on a heat sink?

Just now, Ghost_01 said:

That's been done, in a much way, and would be an absolute pain to make, it would need to be an OEM thing and the bill of materials alone would be horrible, R&D would take another healthy swig, and the machining costs would take again another pretty large hunk of money. Obviously there is no way for you to make such a device, and it's a school project, so ignore the fact I just said it won't work, mock something up in solid works, do some bullshit marketing work on it and slap it in to your teacher who probably won't know enough to call out on it. 

Yours faithfully

Motherboard with cpu on the opposite will be in laptops. Then again it will have it on either sides.

Asus ROG Avalon concept has what your asking about. The cpu is still on the top, but rest of the components is moved to the bottom, so that's still like cpu on the underside.

new-guts2.jpg

new-board.jpg

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/rog-avalon-concept-gives-glimpse-future-cable-free-pcs/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Motherboard with cpu on the opposite will be in laptops. Then again it will have it on either sides.

Asus ROG Avalon concept has what your asking about. The cpu is still on the top, but rest of the components is moved to the bottom, so that's still like cpu on the underside.

new-guts2.jpg

new-board.jpg

I remember that thing, I thought they stopped working on it other than for OEM machines, try getting companies to agree to that as standard lol. 

Yours faithfully

The thing is I have machined stuff before and this is a all school year project so I have plenty of time to make it 

I don't think it would possible to make it yourself. Unless you spend years designing your PCB and then manually sourcing components and hand-soldering BGA chips...

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I remember that thing, I thought they stopped working on it other than for OEM machines, try getting companies to agree to that as standard lol. 

I would call that standard ᴉtx

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I would call that standard ᴉtx

I would call it "HOW MUCH ARE THE CASES?" standard, or HMATC, since making a case for that would be a design "challenge" to put it politely. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I would call it "HOW MUCH ARE THE CASES?" standard, or HMATC, since making a case for that would be a design "challenge" to put it politely. 

IMO manufacturing the case is easy? Much easier than that board and if they have a larger version, the standard for that board will be ∀TX

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, Ghost_01 said:

The thing is I have machined stuff before and this is a all school year project so I have plenty of time to make it 

Do you have any idea how to do PCB work (I make my own PCBs, and I've had some made by companies, there are loads out there) and let me tell you, making a PC motherboard.... Is WELL beyond the scope of any single person, especially for a school project. Now you can get a laptop board and use that, but machining a case... That's expensive, you're gonna need a BIG CNC turret mill, and either aluminium or copper, a large slab of it, since a block of copper that size would be hundreds, go with aluminium. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Do you have any idea how to do PCB work (I make my own PCBs, and I've had some made by companies, there are loads out there) and let me tell you, making a PC motherboard.... Is WELL beyond the scope of any single person, especially for a school project. Now you can get a laptop board and use that, but machining a case... That's expensive, you're gonna need a BIG CNC turret mill, and either aluminium or copper, a large slab of it, since a block of copper that size would be hundreds, go with aluminium. 

yes, not really wanting to make my own board from scratch but just re design were the CPU is

IMO manufacturing the case is easy? Much easier than that board and if they have a larger version, the standard for that board will be ∀TX

No it wouldn't, you'd need to design around the envelope of the motherboard, the PCE card being down there and having the motherboard tray above it, it'd be a nightmare to manufacture and assemble, and in such small amounts doing an automated assembly line would be out of the question, you'd be talking CaseLabs case money for a case for that thing, plus it's a dumb layout to start with, why the fuck would anyone want an origami PC like that, that board was basically the engineering team being board since they haven't made an ARES or MARS card recently I think. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Ghost_01 said:

yes, not really wanting to make my own board from scratch but just re design were the CPU is

That would require making your own board, or turning around an ATX board, but you'd loose all the slots so might as well use a laptop board. That laptop has the GPU and CPU on the other side, like I said, laptop boards are easy to turn around and small enough to make that easy. 

20150602_064810.jpg

Yours faithfully

That would require making your own board, or turning around an ATX board, but you'd loose all the slots so might as well use a laptop board. That laptop has the GPU and CPU on the other side, like I said, laptop boards are easy to turn around and small enough to make that easy. 

20150602_064810.jpg

True so do think this is the best option? Just for a prototype to see how well it will Work?

Just now, Ghost_01 said:

True so do think this is the best option? Just for a prototype to see how well it will Work?

When prototyping something, quick, dirty and wet always, you have to prove it works first before you waste money on it. From there you can spend more money or time on it. This is something I do and it usually works out for what I need, but I do not mass produce anything I build, it's usually one off commissions. 

Yours faithfully

When prototyping something, quick, dirty and wet always, you have to prove it works first before you waste money on it. From there you can spend more money or time on it. This is something I do and it usually works out for what I need, but I do not mass produce anything I build, it's usually one off commissions. 

Ok so If it dose work out pretty well what kind of labtop motherboard should i get with a decent cpu and gpu