Steam library shared between Windows & Linux

vanished

Has anyone tried this before?  My thought process is that while the two OSes obviously need different binaries, there ought to be a lot of game files that are identical on the Windows and Linux versions, so if you had one library shared by both a Linux steam install and a Windows steam install, you could save some space by only needing to "duplicate" a few things.

I'm trying it now but has anyone successfully done this before?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Could you not theoretically make a Steam Drive and point Linux to that? The hard part would be getting the steam client on Linux to see the library as "valid." 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Following as I'm interested. Also, wouldn't the games just download everything and cancel/disregard what isn't usable?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Even though the binaries are the same.... wouldn't the "executables" (windows) be different? I thought the file extensions are different for linux.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Could you not theoretically make a Steam Drive and point Linux to that? The hard part would be getting the steam client on Linux to see the library as "valid." 

What do you mean by a "Steam drive"?  I already have a dedicated SSD for all my games that's NTFS (accessible by Linux and Windows)

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Following as I'm interested. Also, wouldn't the games just download everything and cancel/disregard what isn't usable?

My hope is that, when I "verify local files" under Linux, it will see the Windows copy and download only what differs between the Windows and Linux versions, which I'm hoping and thinking won't be all that much (mainly the executables/binaries since bulk game data like music, textures, etc should be the same)

Just now, NinJake said:

Even though the binaries are the same.... wouldn't the "executables" (windows) be different? I thought the file extensions are different for linux.

See above

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

What do you mean by a "Steam drive"?  I already have a dedicated SSD for all my games that's NTFS

Thats a steam drive. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Thats a steam drive. 

It's a NTFS drive silly :P

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My hope is that, when I "verify local files" under Linux, it will see the Windows copy and download only what differs between the Windows and Linux versions, which I'm hoping and thinking won't be all that much (mainly the executables/binaries since bulk game data like music, textures, etc should be the same)

It should be feasible... a good test nonetheless, what distro are you testing this on?

Thats a steam drive. 

ok :P 

---

I'm trying "Don't Starve" at the moment, and it's not looking good so far.  When I added the library under Linux, it immediately detected everything as installed (which was obviously erroneous in and of itself), but then upon verifying game files, it had to download ~580 MB (ouch!) and upon completing that, it still didn't work, claiming the update was corrupt :/ 

Just now, NinJake said:

It should be feasible... a good test nonetheless, what distro are you testing this on?

Manjaro

Just now, NinJake said:

It's a NTFS drive silly :P

If you point steam to a drive and tell it to install your games there, it becomes a steam drive. 

Not sure if it was intentionally a joke or not but English does not communicate tone well. 

and upon completing that, it still didn't work, claiming the update was corrupt :/ 

It makes sense though, No matter the similarities between Windows and Linux the games are not the same. If it has not been done before it is probably because doing so would not be worth it. 

Updates breaking is just one of the issues you would run into after a while. 

If you point steam to a drive and tell it to install your games there, it becomes a steam drive. 

Not sure if it was intentionally a joke or not but English does not communicate tone well. 

It was mainly sarcasm. I see what you mean by pointing both windows and linux to the same drive to store files though. I've just never heard of "steam drive" before.

Just now, NinJake said:

I've just never heard of "steam drive" before.

I've never really heard people refer to drives as NTFS. No point in saying the drive is formated in the old NTFS standard, everyone assumes it is anyway. 

I usually only say the format method when talking about more obscure ones like exFAT or HFS/+ 

It makes sense though, No matter the similarities between Windows and Linux the games are not the same. If it has not been done before it is probably because doing so would not be worth it. 

Updates breaking is just one of the issues you would run into after a while. 

Yeah, they're different, but surely there would be a lot of content that's shared?

640px-Venn0001.svg.png

Like, each has its own binaries and libraries and that, but things like textures and sounds and so on should be identical and stored in the same location, one would think... o.O

Maybe not.  I guess I will find out lol

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

It was mainly sarcasm. I see what you mean by pointing both windows and linux to the same drive to store files though. I've just never heard of "steam drive" before.

Me neither :P Seems kinda arbitrary

i think it is possible with some games. I wonder if anti-cheat will dislike the extra linux binaries. In linux it would not be hard to generate a list of common files.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

don't they have compleatly different file formats? you can't run an exe on linux

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I've never really heard people refer to drives as NTFS. No point in saying the drive is formated in the old NTFS standard, everyone assumes it is anyway. 

I usually only say the format method when talking about more obscure ones like exFAT or HFS/+ 

To be fair I've never really heard anyone really point out it's NTFS or "Steam drive"... I have however heard NTFS more often than steam drive. Hence the sarcasm! Learn something new everyday.

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

don't they have compleatly different file formats? you can't run an exe on linux

We've kind of went over this, the main hope is that after pointing the game to the source drive, windows/linux will be able to tell the differences apart and simply ignore the actual extension and look for the "goodies" (actual data)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the binaries will not be the same but the artwork will be identical. the artwork will be 90% of the files.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Yes, that's why I would need to download additional files under Linux :P But, hopefully not all of them, hence the point of this :) 

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

To be fair I've never really heard anyone really point out it's NTFS or "Steam drive"... I have however heard NTFS more often than steam drive. Hence the sarcasm! Learn something new everyday.

Well, at least NTFS inherently means something, like saying it's FAT32 or HFS+, etc.  "Steam drive" just means you've but steam games on it.  Does that mean a drive with a lot of music is a "MP3 Drive" or something? :P tbh I find that term kinda silly but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

the binaries will not be the same but the artwork will be identical. the artwork will be 90% of the files.

That's what I'm thinking and hoping

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's what I'm thinking and hoping

i would have two folders on a usb drive.

I would put something small like FTL from each operating system into seperate folders.

print out a list of files.

Make a new list of common files and different files and then you can do something smart like hide certain files from windows or generate some links in linux

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@Ryan_Vickers How exactly are you testing this with windows and manjaro?

Do you dual boot with windows on 1 drive and linux on another or are they separate partitions on the same drive?

Is it 3 drives with A = windows B = linux and C = "shared drive"? (game installs)

Just now, NinJake said:

@Ryan_Vickers How exactly are you testing this with windows and manjaro?

Do you dual boot with windows on 1 drive and linux on another or are they separate partitions on the same drive?

Is it 3 drives with A = windows B = linux and C = "shared drive"? (game installs)

I have both OSes on one drive and the games on a separate drive

I have a feeling this isn't going to work :( 

I've tried Don't Starve and Factorio now, and both resulted in the same large download ending in a "corrupt update".  I don't know what Steam is doing, but I don't think it's just adding the files it needs to, because if it was, it would actually work lol

Well, it was worth a try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm open to any more ideas if someone has some but for now I think I'll move on

I'm open to any more ideas if someone has some but for now I think I'll move on

Can they both access NTFS? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Can they both access NTFS? 

yes :P 

I was already quite sure it was working but just to be 100% sure I just confirmed creating a file, writing to it (saving), and deleting

Edited by Ryan_Vickers