Steam library shared between Windows & Linux

vanished
Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes :P 

Just wondering. I wondered if this was the same with my Steam server... but then I realized that it uses a VM... #facepalm

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Just wondering. I wondered if this was the same with my Steam server... but then I realized that it uses a VM... #facepalm

Now I have an additional problem actually, Steam won't let me just disconnect my main library, claiming it has to be empty to remove it o.O

Guess I'll have to modify some config file...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

you would have to get 2 separate installs for each game on the drive wouldnt you?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

you would have to get 2 separate installs for each game on the drive wouldnt you?

Yes, well, partially separate.  My hope was that they would be able to share certain files, like all the textures, sounds, etc. - platform agnostic stuff

but sadly it appears it does not work

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

the binaries will not be the same but the artwork will be identical. the artwork will be 90% of the files.

yeah but then the main binary files doesn't point at the same assests when they were installed making the whole thing impossible unless you make some sort of custom recompiler to make them share the assests which would be really hard when it's not your own game

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

10 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah but then the main binary files doesn't point at the same assests when they were installed making the whole thing impossible unless you make some sort of custom recompiler to make them share the assests which would be really hard when it's not your own game

I don't see how asset folder structure would change. absolute vs relative address should not be an issue.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Yeah assuming the game uses relative addresses, which it should, and assuming all the assets are stored in the same place on Windows vs Linux versions, which they should be, it should work.

50 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I don't see how asset folder structure would change. absolute vs relative address should not be an issue.

48 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah assuming the game uses relative addresses, which it should, and assuming all the assets are stored in the same place on Windows vs Linux versions, which they should be, it should work.

it's worth a shot (maybe just slamming together the 2 install fiolders) but most of the time some odd problem gets in and it doesn't accept the change because of some version signing or other file integrity checks. though that's unlikely to be a problem with a game like FTL

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it's worth a shot (maybe just slamming together the 2 install fiolders) but most of the time some odd problem gets in and it doesn't accept the change because of some version signing or other file integrity checks. though that's unlikely to be a problem with a game like FTL

Yes, it was worth a shot, hence why I tried it, but it doesn't work :P 

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, it was worth a shot, hence why I tried it, but it doesn't work :P 

Looks like Steam needs two libraries on a single drive for this to work, right? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Looks like Steam needs two libraries on a single drive for this to work, right? 

Well, it needs two separate libraries.  Where they reside isn't relevant but yeah seems like different OSes can't share :(

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, it needs two separate libraries.  Where they reside isn't relevant but yeah seems like different OSes can't share :(

What about two different versions of Linux? Would they be able to share? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

What about two different versions of Linux? Would they be able to share? 

I would think so, just as two installs of Windows could share

52 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.cjmweb.net/vbindiff/

I'd run a binary diff tool on files that are supposedly the same on both versions and see what comes out of it. I have a feeling there's some subtle differences in formatting.

There must be something deeper going on because even if every single file was different, it still would have just downloaded what it needed in addition to what was already there and then run, but it didn't; it got errors.