Personal Wireless Modem and ISP Issues

dasr1985

LTT Community,

I'm not an expert, but I'm also not a first time user of networking equipment either so please bare with me if there is something that I just can't answer right away.

Situation:

Device:  TP-Link Archer CR700 AC1750

ISP: Time Warner/Spectrum

On 9/9/2017 I received my device in the mail and set it up in a very typical default fashion.  Logged into it via 192.168.1.1, no problems there.  After I did an initial configuration (important note* normal operation not bridged mode) and customized my SSD/Password/hide etc; I then called the ISP to register the device so that I could begin receiving service.  At this point during the call the device would no longer allow me to login to it (time out response) and I could only connect one device wirelessly and one device via cable ethernet at any given time.

The rest of that call ended with concluding that perhaps my device was faulty somehow, and ofcourse because it is 3rd party they could not assist any further (understandable).  I've attempted to contact TP-Link customer service... dead end there.  Amazon support overnights another TP-Link Archer CR700 which I received on 9/11/2017.  The exact same issue occurred, and at this point I kept the ISP on the phone because surely they are enacting some kind of restriction, of which they have confidently expressed is not the case.  In my troubleshooting with them on the phone, I disconnected the coax from the TP-link device and attempted to login..still could not.  I then restored the device to default settings via the reset switch on the rear I/O.  Once the device went through it's initial start up process I was able to login to it with no issues, no time out response or anything.  

Great!  I now know it is not the device right?  So with the ISP representative eagerly waiting for my results I connected the coax back to the device and performed a basic reboot.  They confirmed they could see the device connected when it came back up, and guess what!  I'm back to square one... It is acting like it is stuck in bridge mode and I'm locked out from making any changes to MY OWN device.  The ISP reassures me that there is nothing on their end that can cause this... but why would this occur after I reconnect the coax cable which allows the ISP to provide me service as well as monitor my device?

Any ideas, suggestions.. anything.  I'm all ears and thanks in advance!

Today... I will be picking up a NETGEAR AC1750 DualBand Router with DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Multi device from best buy.  I figured i needed to try a completely different brand and I didn't want to wait 2-3 days for a device to be shipped to me.

Last note here:  I have attempted to contact TP-Link technical support numerous times, and on occasion that I was able to actually get through and the call didn't randomly drop, the receive audio from the individual I was speaking with was so broken it was impossible to make out anything they said at all.  Also, I'm at a temporary location (undetermined amount of time) and as far as I can tell TWC/Spectrum is the only service choice I have.

If I remember from another topic I was in last night, when your modem gets provisioned on a network, they need to push a file to the modem with configuration information that tells the modem how much speed is allocated to it through the network as per your plan.

In this instance, it sounds like the file they're pushing is just downright incompatible with your device and it forces your device to operate in safe mode or something.

I'm not sure how the netgear modem will fare in the process either, but at this point, it's 50/50 when it comes to picking your own modem for a network provider.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I have Time Warner and had to experience something similar with them.

When you use their service they send a configuration file to the device to the modem that causes limits if the device isnt in their "approved" listing of devices. I had a modem that when I had cox would get me 500mbs but with TWC I would get under 100 while paying for 300. I called them up and said that they purposely have the right to add that restriction because it isnt their hardware and I had to go and buy a new modem under their "approved" listing. Weirdly enough, that worked out just fine to my huge annoyance.

@lieder1987 @Hiitchy
I'll def find out today what can be done.  I feel like it's pretty ridiculous that they would put in place restrictions when the device is technically an approved device based on the specifications they required on their site under the approved equipment list.  I guess, technically the TP-Link I had was not listed but it did abide by the specifications required...... actually I just checked and the TP-Link Archer CR700 I have is on their approved list. 

According to the representatives from TWC/Spectrum technical support that I've worked with, there are no restrictions in place from them to my home to impact my device.

@Levisallanon please excuse my ignorance, but what specifically would I be looking for with those settings?  I'm about to look that up, but just in case I can't find an answer I'm asking.  Thanks in advance!

I really appreciate the feedback so far guys!  It is an incredibly frustrating situation.  

I actually own the same TP-Link device at my home in Corpus Christ, Texas and the ISP there for me is Grande Communications.  I had absolutely no issues with getting the service setup, and no signal mitigation at all from it either.

They are a coaxial cable based internet solution as well.

5 hours ago, dasr1985 said:

[...]

@Levisallanon please excuse my ignorance, but what specifically would I be looking for with those settings?  I'm about to look that up, but just in case I can't find an answer I'm asking.  Thanks in advance!

I really appreciate the feedback so far guys!  It is an incredibly frustrating situation.  

[...]

Here is the manual for your router.

http://static.tp-link.com/Archer_CR700(US)_V1_UG_1481771047849n.pdf
Check paragraph 5.3.1 you need to set your router to one of these settings, and you probably have to ask your ISP (or look at their site) which settings you need.

Some ISP's are shit at support customer modems. I think you might be on one of those ISP's, while they support the modem to an extend because the FCC requires them to, they refuse to lift a finger if you need help. See Comcast has a list a modems that they have tested to work, they also push out new firmware to these modems on a regular basis. While some ISP's wont even do that. So some times you stuck on old ass firmware because modems can only be updated by ISPs. If it were me and they are not providing the help I would file an FCC complaint.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

That is most likely what I'm going to have to do.  After countless hours of troubleshooting with ISP tech support, even with different modem/router combo devices all brand new out of the box... The ISP still referred me to my manufacturer no matter how logically conclusive the issues pointed towards some configuration on the ISP's side.

With the latest device, I went through netgear techsupport for the heck of it just so I could tell the ISP I did it and the problem still exists.  Netgear was happy to help me, and reassured me they could absolutely solve my problem for a small fee of $79.99 LOL.  So I humored it, told him sure, I'll pay the $79.99 if they can actually fix it otherwise I want my money back.  Here I sit with a refund if that tells you anything.  

This issue is most definitely the ISP, and they refuse to take responsibility for the issue at all.  The last technician I spoke with frustratingly said.. "why can't you just use our modem?"

My configuration is now by utilization of their modem and a regular router that I own.  I've submitted quite a few feedback issues with the way this is being handled and the fact that they advertise that I can use my own modem, but they won't do anything to help me do that in this situation.

6 hours ago, dasr1985 said:

That is most likely what I'm going to have to do.  After countless hours of troubleshooting with ISP tech support, even with different modem/router combo devices all brand new out of the box... The ISP still referred me to my manufacturer no matter how logically conclusive the issues pointed towards some configuration on the ISP's side.

With the latest device, I went through netgear techsupport for the heck of it just so I could tell the ISP I did it and the problem still exists.  Netgear was happy to help me, and reassured me they could absolutely solve my problem for a small fee of $79.99 LOL.  So I humored it, told him sure, I'll pay the $79.99 if they can actually fix it otherwise I want my money back.  Here I sit with a refund if that tells you anything.  

This issue is most definitely the ISP, and they refuse to take responsibility for the issue at all.  The last technician I spoke with frustratingly said.. "why can't you just use our modem?"

My configuration is now by utilization of their modem and a regular router that I own.  I've submitted quite a few feedback issues with the way this is being handled and the fact that they advertise that I can use my own modem, but they won't do anything to help me do that in this situation.

You tell them your not using their modem because its a piece of shit and the Federal Government says you dont have to. If they dont like it they can take it up with the FCC. Id file a complaint with the FCC and let them handle it. Charter just got fined for be dumb fucks after this merger. Im sure the FCC is up to round two of breaking the Governments size 13 in Charters ass. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Complaint filed, absolutely chomping at the bit to get these guys to do their job. Completely asinine the way they are carelessly handling this situation given that I'm a paying customer with no choice but to use their service in my area.

• 1 year later...

Ancient topic, but i recently had the same issue.  I found that if i used 192.168.100.1 as some of the CR700 paperwork told me to, it would give me no settings options saying im in bridge mode.  If I used 192.168.1.1 it worked just fine.  This thread kept coming up in my searches so that why i updated such an old one.