ASUS P6T mother board compatibility, please help!

dazy2000

Hi all, so i have an ASUS P6T motherboard and my processor is a i7 920, recently i have been struggling to run the latest games (such as pubg) and want to know what is the best processor to upgrade to that is compatible with my mother board.

(my gpu is the nvidia geforce 1060 6gb and i have 6gb of ram i you're curious) my price range is from £250 and below, 

thanks.

Sell motherboard, ram and CPU in 1 go as an upgrade kit and get something else.

With the extra budget you get from selling the parts you might be able to get an r5 1600, B350 board and 8GB ram.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Sell motherboard, ram and CPU in 1 go as an upgrade kit and get something else.

With the extra budget you get from selling the parts you might be able to get an r5 1600, B350 board and 8GB ram.

so my motherboard is that bad? 

3 minutes ago, dazy2000 said:

The i7 920 is a 9 year old cpu if my memory serves me correctly. Probably maxing out at like 3ghz you'd also be limited to 24gb of memory at like 1066mhz or was it 1333 I cant recall exactly. On top of this you'll be lacking in PCI lanes. The board isn't terrible. But it is definitely dated. An ugpgrade to current gen i5 would be momentus. Where are you from? I'll put you together some parts for around 250 if you want?

1 minute ago, dazy2000 said:

It's not bad, it's just really really old. Upgrading the CPU would be a waste of money and barely help.

Platforms these days just don't live that long anymore. AMD said AM4 would get new cpu's until 2020 which would be a big improvement compared to everything from almost the last decade. If what they say is true of course.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

It's not bad, it's just really really old. Upgrading the CPU would be a waste of money and barely help.

Platforms these days just don't live that long anymore. AMD said AM4 would get new cpu's until 2020 which would be a big improvement compared to everything from almost the last decade. If what they say is true of course.

Intel = Leeches. But they're high performance leeches xD

1 minute ago, MstaR35 said:

The i7 920 is a 9 year old cpu if my memory serves me correctly. Probably maxing out at like 3ghz you'd also be limited to 24gb of memory at like 1066mhz or was it 1333 I cant recall exactly. On top of this you'll be lacking in PCI lanes. The board isn't terrible. But it is definitely dated.

thanks for the reply and yea it's really old for sure

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

How much do you think i should ask for when selling those parts you recommended to sell? i'm not sure what's really a reasonable range to be honest.

6 minutes ago, dazy2000 said:

How much do you think i should ask for when selling those parts you recommended to sell? i'm not sure what's really a reasonable range to be honest.

To be fair with you I don't really think they'd sell all that well. A few weeks ago I had a customer bring me an i5 760 which he had jury rigged and I had to find him a new board, and as the socket is expired he was looking at 50 quid for a refurbished board. So there is a market there but I think its for refurbished parts more than anything. So sell them as individual pieces if you can. These are what I'd sell them for but if you don't want to obviously that is your call:                                            CPU: 19.99 without box 29.99 with (I actually picked one up for £12)

Motherboard: 120 (Current going price. Like I said refurbished parts are hard to find, you might want to undercut here)

Ram: What speed have you got? and how many dims?

3 minutes ago, MstaR35 said:

To be fair with you I don't really think they'd sell all that well. A few weeks ago I had a customer bring me an i5 760 which he had jury rigged and I had to find him a new board, and as the socket is expired he was looking at 50 quid for a refurbished board. So there is a market there but I think its for refurbished parts more than anything. So sell them as individual pieces if you can. These are what I'd sell them for but if you don't want to obviously that is your call:                                                                                                              CPU: 19.99 without box 29.99 with (I actually picked one up for £12)

Motherboard: 120 (Current going price. Like I said refurbished parts are hard to find, you might want to undercut here)

Ram: What speed have you got? and how many dims?

i'm sorry but i am not sure on the dims but the speed is 1066MHZ. if that helps. 

Just now, dazy2000 said:

i'm sorry but i am not sure on the dims but the speed is 1066MHZ. if that helps. 

It's fine don't worry about it. I'd assume they are 3 sticks of 2gb. To be frank I think 20 quid per stick. And that's probably pushing it but your mileage may vary.

Just now, MstaR35 said:

It's fine don't worry about it. I'd assume they are 3 sticks of 2gb. To be frank I think 20 quid per stick. And that's probably pushing it but your mileage may vary.

I see, thanks for all the peoples help i would have made some really huge mistakes if i hadn't given it a shot and looked for help on here, thanks a lot.

2 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

go upgrade to a xeon It will give you 6 cores 

this guy did a video on it with your exact same CPU

Won't give him better gaming performance though.

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

it'll help general performance alot for a small price

I agree but OP'S problem is gaming performance. Also he has a gtx 1060 so he is better off getting a new chipset In his scenario. Defo gonna put an old pc together though just to see what kind of performance I can get after watching that.

14 hours ago, dazy2000 said:

I see, thanks for all the peoples help i would have made some really huge mistakes if i hadn't given it a shot and looked for help on here, thanks a lot.

OP if your problem is solved please mark it as so. Thanks ?

Have you overclock that I7 920?

If yes, then as they other say, find a 6 core Xeon cheap on ebay like Xeon X5650/5660 and be sure the motherboard has the latest bios version before swapping it out.

I dit the same just not with a xeon but from I7 920 to a I7 980X. Its great and a good overclock does not make it worse for sure :D

Old system

3dmark_firestrike_rekord.jpg

After an upgrade to I7 980X and a new GPU.

3Dmark_Fire_Strike_4.72_GHz_GTX_1080_TI.

I got no complains so far with games. X58 is awesome. Its old but deffently not obsolete yet.

A more detailed screenshot of my setup.

System_max_oc.jpg