How do I configure multiple drives without using RAID?

So I recently bought a second hard drive as my first one was running low they are both the same WD blue 1 TB. Then as I booted it didnt work making realise that I you should configure them in RAID 0, so I went into BIOS to find out that my motherboard does not support RAID. But then people mentioned that you didn't have to use RAID, but I don't know what to do. Any reply is greatly appreciated (noobie here)

You might need a driver. Find the manufacture website and see what you can find. I know I needed one when I installed a Seagate drive.

But otherwise it normally works out of the box. Just plug it into the next sata port on your motherboard and connect the power.

What do you mean by "it didn't work"? You can run multiple drives separate from each other, absolutely no requirement to use RAID. 

I'm betting that you just need to partition the drive in Disk Management, so try following these steps: (copy pasted from my post in a thread yesterday)

>Right Click on Windows/Start button (or just use Windows search to search for "Disk Management")

>Select Disk Management

>Window will pop up showing a list of drives (and partitions) at the top with the drives and how partitions are set up on the bottom. 

>Find the drive you want on the bottom section

>Check if the "block" to the right of the drive is marked as "unallocated" with a black bar above the "block"

>If it is, right click on the "block" and select "New Simple Volume" and follow the setup wizard

>Most things can be left at default unless you have specific needs

>Done

Bear in mind that doing this will format the drive and you'll lose any data that's on it. (if it's a new drive, this doesn't matter as there's nothing on it anyway)

EDIT: Disk Management window will look like this (with your drives). If you look at the bottom section with the "blocks" that have blue bars above them, that's where you'll want to look for an "unallocated" "block" with a black bar above it. That's where you right click and create a new volume. 

59b5e60bdea24_drives2131.thumb.png.ebdf0631697e44b066c6e77c99a766da.png

EDIT2: It's also possible to do this through CMD with DiskPart but using the GUI is just easier. 

Your board needs to support RAID in order to combine both drives, even when not in RAID mode. That feature is called JBOD. Long name is Just a Bunch of Disk.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

default is raid 0(each drive separated with others)

so you accidently using other raidmaybe 1 or 5 or 10 but impossible to use 10

go delete your partition

and reinstall all again

if in that drive can jeopardize your documents

select the new drive and become boot drive

then reinstall your OS