plex and home server/nas in one box

I just pot my plex server up and runing (its an old dell precision 370 with a pentium 4 cpu) and its good for 480p dvd rips but I want to put 1080p blue rays on and it will not keep up with it. i was thinking to use ryzen but was also thinking old server equipment. But i don't want this to be just a server for media, is there a way I can also have it be a nas/server to do scheduled backups from my PC and laptop and I also want to be able to access my files at school if i need to. Can this be done or would a synology nas be better?

If you build your own NAS I would recommend FreeNAS. It can take a bit of work to figure it out but it is really good once you do. It can do your scheduled backups really well but it can also be a Plex server fairly easily. When I installed Plex on my FreeNAS computer, the plugin didn't work so I had to install it in what is called a "jail". Here is an on the Plex website that tells you how to do it, https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/102532/how-to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-jail . 

In terms of CPU power, I have an Intel Core i5 2500 in mine and it streams 1080p fine but so far I've only done those streams to one client at a time. Also if you use the ZFS file system make sure you have plenty of RAM. From what I've been told, for each TB of storage you have, you should have 1 GB of RAM.

Hope this helps

I tried to set up freenas. Still having issues ATM, I need someone to help me troubleshoot xD 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

I know how you feel. I spent ages trying different configurations and then it just worked and I haven't touched any of the settings since in case I break something. =)

thank you @kirbo14 i was looking at FreeNAS I just didn't know if it had scheduled backups I thought it was just a file storage array.

Its name is a bit deceiving, it is waaaaayyy more than just a NAS OS. It can do a myriad of things if you have the patience to set them all up.