How do I clean dust off a GPU PCB?

KostWarCZE

Hey, is there anyone who could gave me a tip about clean this.. idk.. "stuck dust between pins" ?

I tried isopropyl (even with fine brush) and compressed air on it, but it didnt help at all.. 

(I'm reselling/refubrishing PC hardware like this Gainward GTX 750ti Golden Sample 2GB and i want to make sure that i ship it in best condition possible.)

Thanks for help B|

EDIT: Title on "How do I clean dust off a GPU PCB?"

gsd6g5dsf4g56df465gs4.gif

Usually rubbing alcohol leaves behind a fine dust of all the particulates it picked up. Perhaps try a dry brush? If its not ESD safe, you risk damaging the card. I've cleaned rather expensive cards with a toothbrush before with no adverse effects, but its a risk you take.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Usually rubbing alcohol leaves behind a fine dust of all the particulates it picked up. Perhaps try a dry brush? If its not ESD safe, you risk damaging the card. I've cleaned rather expensive cards with a toothbrush before with no adverse effects, but its a risk you take.

I tried brush already, but i didn't help much. (picrute is taken after brush clean with isopropyl and dry).

Or what kind of brush do you mean? I tried fine brush which is normally used on painting.

EDIT: i'm thinking about toothbrush too, which i try tomorrow if none have better idea.

microfiber cloth and if its stubborn add some 97% Isopropyl. The higher percent the lower residue. Once dry use a dry part of the micro fiber to get rid of the film left by the Isopropyl. 

Just now, tekgeek1205 said:

microfiber cloth and if its stubborn add some 97% Isopropyl. The higher percent the lower residue. Once dry use a dry part of the micro fiber to get rid of the film left by the Isopropyl. 

Already tried with microfiber + 99,5% isopropyl alcohol, but it stil left mark. (picrure is taken after this process)

4 minutes ago, KostWarCZE said:

I tried brush already, but i didn't help much. (screen is taken after brush clean with isopropyl and dry).

Or what kind of brush do you mean? I tried fine brush which is normally used on painting.

EDIT: i'm thinking about toothbrush too, which i try tomorrow if none have better idea.

q-tip's for hard to reach places, followed by a dry microfiber.

1 minute ago, tekgeek1205 said:

q-tip's for hard to reach places, followed by a dry microfiber.

q-tip?

So close! Idk how many times ive given up on GPU's. Just a shot in the dark, but try to start wiping in a clean area and move to the edge of the card kinda surrounding the problem area. Change cotton swab/Q-tip a lot.

6 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

So close! Idk how many times ive given up on GPU's. Just a shot in the dark, but try to start wiping in a clean area and move to the edge of the card kinda surrounding the problem area. Change cotton swab/Q-tip a lot.

I'm at 16th Q-tip and it seems like it doesn't have any effect on it :/ 

Isn't there any more effective solution on this situation? 

16 minutes ago, KostWarCZE said:

It helped, but still left traces of dust around that area. 

-snip-

Man, no offense but at this point you're just being OCD. That card is almost spotless.

Take the win you got (It looks better than the original picture) and move on with life. If I bought that GPU used off of eBay, I'd be very pleased with the condition. Many sellers don't even bother to dust the cards they sell.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not that I've found. :( I usually give up at the point your at. 

I wish there was a way to vote the thread back to the top of the topic list

24 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

In Czech Republic it's "Vatové tyčinky" but its most known as "Vatičky na čištění uší". xD 

Just now, tekgeek1205 said:

Not that I've found. :( I usually give up at the point your at. 

I wish there was a way to vote the thread back to the top of the topic list

Errr - there is. It's called the reply you just made ;)

When a topic receives a new reply, it's boosted to the top of the page.

Also, don't spam just to get it back up there :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, KostWarCZE said:

In Czech Republic it's "Vatové tyčinky" but its most known as "Vatičky na čištění uší". xD 

And what does that translate to in English?

Google Translate says the first one is "Cotton sticks" (lol... technically accurate though), and the second one as "Earplugs for cleaning", which is super hilarious.

Ahhh the joys of things that translate weirdly from one language to another.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Man, no offense but at this point you're just being OCD. That card is almost spotless.

Take the win you got (It looks better than the original picture) and move on with life. If I bought that GPU used off of eBay, I'd be very pleased with the condition. Many sellers don't even bother to dust the cards they sell.

Hard life of perfekcionist. xD 

Like if there's an effective way which could i even use on my clear wallmount PC project then it could be helpful in many situations to be able to 100% clean it.. 

Keep it clean, never let it get dirty. Compressed air in a can everyday. Best thing i can think of.

Umm mount it vertically (just hides your problem area)

Or put it in a compleatlly air tight system with a HEPA filter

Shoot, all those are preventative. Hmm...Acetone...a bit extreme, might melt some of the plastic's????

I think ... im out of idea's.

Edit

ps

Second thought, just forget the Acetone.

3 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

Keep it clean, never let it get dirty. Compressed air in a can everyday. Best thing i can think of.

Umm mount it vertically (just hides your problem area)

Or put it in a compleatlly air tight system with a HEPA filter

Shoot, all those are preventative. Hmm...Acetone...a bit extreme, might melt some of the plastic's????

I think ... im out of idea's.

Edit

ps

Second thought, just forget the Acetone.

It was kinda bad example i would keep wall mounted PC clean all time.

#Offtopic: i'm thinking about multiple small fans on low speed with filters and clear watercooled loop with custom watercooled blocks (from my shop) on GPU, RAM ,SSD raid, etc.. without HDD. possibly with liquid chem mix in copper pipes on dual CPU to keep everything under 20C with hard OC+bios update..

but still in refubrishing damaged,old , etc.. hardware (even non-PC hardware) its something which could be there again and again with none method to clean it..