[discussion] RAM prices

Hello everyone! I'd like to hear what ypu guys think about the extrordinary RAM prices in the past nearly two years, and probably more to come. About 2 years ago when I built my PC the RAM was pretty inexpensive. I got my 4x4Gb HyperX around 70USD. I just searched for the same, and it's almost 170USD!!!! 
Now even nVidia will reportedly increase the prices of it's GPUs due to global GDDR5 shortage. FFS, why? I did a little research about why the DDR4 is expensive, and they said it's because the smarphones since the Galaxy S6 uses LPDDR4, which is pretty similar to the desktop version. What I think is that they repurposed the GDDR5 factory to make DDR4? Makes no sense. My  main problem is that everyone seems to be fine with this expensive RAM ram. Just buy less and be happy. From what I see, they don't expand the factories, because we are so desperate to buy RAMs, that they can make even more money.
TO BE CLEAR, I started this topic as a discussion, with a hope of intelligent thought exchange for many pages, and not just some random 'tard wrting obvious stuff, and topic over ggwp.
SO guys, what do you think? What do you know? 

It sucks, but what are you gonna do? If you need ram, you need ram.

RAM will probably return to reasonable levels next year due to supply-demand equilibrium.

At this point, buy exactly how much RAM you need right now and don't try to future proof at peak price.  In 2020, 32 GB of RAM might be costing $100.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

From engineers at work, besides Smartphones manufacturers, auto makers have been buying large quantities of RAM as well as of late.

Constructing new fans is extremely expensive (read: billions) and time consuming. Besides the substantial risk in the event that demand drops, working to bring a new facility online wouldn't see benefits for a year or longer down the road.

Unless you absolutely need it, don't bother with upgrades at least until 2018 (or maybe cyber Monday?).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Nah, I have 4x4Gb fast DDR4 and my trusty ASUS VIII Hero board. If I ever need upgrade, I'll buy a 7700K in it and the actual almost-flagship GPU. I think I won't be running out of RAM soon.

Vega (and supposedly Volta), use HBM2 ram, which may ease up the demand for regular DDR ram in the near future, thus dropping prices. But I doubt it's going down any time soon.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

9 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

Vega (and supposedly Volta), use HBM2 ram, which may ease up the demand for regular DDR ram in the near future, thus dropping prices. But I doubt it's going down any time soon.

I belueve the problem is the smartphone industry. Now the flagships have as much RAM as an entry-level PC, and they sell millions of that. The demand is just simply huge.