Do I really need a drive cage/drive sled for 2nd 2.5" SSD?

AlTech
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Would taping it down with Electrical tape be fine?

I might try to tape it down to a side of the case if it's fine.

Yep, that's fine. I edited my post to explain a bit more. 

SSDs don't need to be secured like HDDs as they don't have any moving parts, so they don't need to stay still and aren't affected by vibrations, shock or movement. If you have some double sided tape, I'd use that, but just some tape over the SSD to stick it down will work fine. 

So, I have a dillema.

My original SSD from 2014 came with a Drive cage/sled. I just recently bought a larger and more expensive SSD which did not come with a drive cage/sled.

Do I really need for my 2nd SSD to be in a drive cage/drive sled? or can I just screw in both screws on one side and not on the other?

And will this cause any problems?

Thanks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Don't need one. You can leave it dangling around by the SATA cables if you want, there's no moving parts to get damaged. I have my SSDs held in place by velcro, no problems. 

EDIT: You might actually be better off not screwing it in at all and either just placing it somewhere loose or sticking it down with tape or something. If you screw it in on one side, there is a chance you may accidentally put pressure on it when working on the PC and damage the housing.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Don't need one. You can leave it dangling around by the SATA cables if you want, there's no moving parts to get damaged. I have my SSDs held in place by velcro, no problems. 

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

SSDs don't need to be secured like HDDs as they don't have any moving parts, so they don't need to stay still and aren't affected by vibrations, shock or movement. If you have some double sided tape, I'd use that, but just some tape over the SSD to stick it down will work fine. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

If i had a spare 2.5" HDD in my case, would I need a drive sled for that?

It works just fine and seems to be doing great for what it is (which is to say it is a 5400rpm HDD xD)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It works just fine and seems to be doing great for what it is (which is to say it is a 5400rpm HDD xD)

For a HDD, yeah, you'd want a sled to hold it in place properly. If you have two SSDs, an HDD and only one sled, make sure the HDD is in the sled, the SSDs can be mounted loosely. 

Yeah, I would get a sled for 2.5" HDDs. These you don't want to move around.

But yeah, I have my SSD just dangling in both my servers (too cheap to buy the supermicro drive tray for them)

I've used this in the past for several months. Had no issues at all. If it fits, it sits. Think people also have used velcro (???) to mount SSD's.

DSCN8522.JPG

Yeah, SSDs will dangle without an issue, though it would be janky lol. adhesive and a good spot to stick will do!