Atrocious WIFI speeds

en1gMATIC

I am using a crappy laptop from 2010 that has a random broadcom 802.11n adapter in it. However, I got a new desktop, and I can't use ethernet cause of where my desk is, I got the ASUS USB-AC56. (overpriced I know) Anyway, My crappy laptop gets like a 30 ping and 40 Mbps in a speedtest. The new USB one gets like a 10 ping but only 10 Mbps. The network is AC, all drivers were installed, there is clear line of sight to the adapter and the router, and I tested it with both USB 3.0 and 2.0 on the desktop, and then with 2.0 on the laptop and got the same result. My brother gets like 140Mbps. Does anyone know what is going on?

Just now, crashahotrod said:

Are you using the included antenna, and what OS are you running?

I used both the antenna and the cradle, same results

Win 10

8 minutes ago, en1gMATIC said:

I am using a crappy laptop from 2010 that has a random broadcom 802.11n adapter in it. However, I got a new desktop, and I can't use ethernet cause of where my desk is, I got the ASUS USB-AC56. (overpriced I know) Anyway, My crappy laptop gets like a 30 ping and 40 Mbps in a speedtest. The new USB one gets like a 10 ping but only 10 Mbps. The network is AC, all drivers were installed, there is clear line of sight to the adapter and the router, and I tested it with both USB 3.0 and 2.0 on the desktop, and then with 2.0 on the laptop and got the same result. My brother gets like 140Mbps. Does anyone know what is going on?

USB networking sucks. Thats the issue. PCI express all the way. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

then why doesn't it change with USB 2.0 vs 3.0, and also why does ASUS rate it at 800Mbps on a 5Ghz network (I know that's optimal but is wouldn't fall that short)

Just now, en1gMATIC said:

then why doesn't it change with USB 2.0 vs 3.0, and also why does ASUS rate it at 800Mbps on a 5Ghz network (I know that's optimal but is wouldn't fall that short)

Every person I known to use USB networking products have regretted it. Ive have only used Internal adapters, they always seem to work and are more reliable. USB adapters, at least AC ones, tend to over heat, which causes speed issues. There is a reason why AC wireless PCI express adapters have heatsinks on them, its not so they look cool, its so they can get cool. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

These adapters are great! I use them at work for communicating to offboard computers on multi rotor aircraft. We have 10+ of these adapters connected to a ROG Rapture Wireless-AC530.

1 minute ago, crashahotrod said:

These adapters are great! I use them at work for communicating to offboard computers on multi rotor aircraft. We have 10+ of these adapters connected to a ROG Rapture Wireless-AC530.

Then why do some many people around here bitch they dont work? 

I don't mean to offend but you are connecting to the 5G network on the usb adapter and not the standard 2.4?

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, Beowulff83 said:

I don't mean to offend but you are connecting to the 5G network on the usb adapter and not the standard 2.4?

yes, I am using the 5g

On 9/7/2017 at 11:18 PM, Beowulff83 said:

2.4GHz will still do 300+ megabits.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

4 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

2.4GHz will still do 300+ megabits.

Not if you got shit load of interference. Plus, not in the real world would you get those speeds. Most WiFI standards are tested in a lab. They dont take in to account issues of the real world. 2.4 Ghz has a lot of devices that use the band. Cordless phones, Bluetooth, Baby monitors, Microwaves. 5Ghz tend to have much higher speeds and less shit that interferes with it. So, in general you want to use 5Ghz at all possible cost because you will have a better experience in most cases. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not if you got shit load of interference. Plus, not in the real world would you get those speeds. Most WiFI standards are tested in a lab. They dont take in to account issues of the real world. 2.4 Ghz has a lot of devices that use the band. Cordless phones, Bluetooth, Baby monitors, Microwaves. 5Ghz tend to have much higher speeds and less shit that interferes with it. So, in general you want to use 5Ghz at all possible cost because you will have a better experience in most cases. 

well I am using 5ghz

6 minutes ago, en1gMATIC said:

well I am using 5ghz

Your issue is its a USB networking device. If you used PCI express it would probably work better. OR you have interference in the form was walls. Keep in mind, placement of Antenna's does matter. If they are jammed behind your case, the case can cause obstruction and loss in signal. I would still blame the USB device as Ive never heard good things about them. I see a lot of people here that bitch about them. Plus the AC chipset gets hot, USB sticks dont have a good way to deal with the heat, which is another reason they have connection issues. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, 2.4GHz is noisy as hell.  I used to work tech support for a smart home company that made a hub that was super-sensitive to saturation and interference on the 2.4GHz band.  Like the thing wouldn't work at all if you had it too close to your router or another strong 2.4 transmitter, and it was a common enough problem that I can probably rattle off my old spiel about it.  So I'm VERY familiar with the limitations of 2.4 vs 5GHz bands.

Even still, it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll see that as your reason for only getting 10 megabits on wifi, considering even the ancient 2.4GHz wireless N card in my zenbook has no problem with 80-100 megabit transfers from network storage while generally dicking around with other things eating upload/download bandwidth.

5GHz is way faster, but the range is absolute garbage (ESPECIALLY on a meh router) since it doesn't punch through walls very well at all.  My 5GHz connection has trouble making it all the way across my house.  My 2.4 works pretty much anywhere on my property, which is super useful when fixing stuff outside with a laptop/tablet showing a service manual.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.