I need to temporaly mount a couple of monitors in my car. How?

oliverguy

So I'm currently about to start some computer vision research around self driving cars testing some neural networks I am going to train. 

My plan is to have a PoE industrial camera (probably a Blackfly one) mounted on the roof that'll feed data to a computer mounted in the boot (or trunk for you silly Americans :p)

This is all super easy, however the one difficult part is mounting a couple of 21.5 inch vesa compatible monitors in front of the passenger seat for monitoring while driving. I aren't able to install fixed mounts or do anything that will in anyway irreversibly damage the vehicle so i need someway of temporary mounting them.

I am compleatly open to any and all solutions so long as it doesn't damage the car or cost a million pounds

PS I have a mate with a welder and he has done a small amount of metal fabrication so that is also an option

6 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Jury rig couple headrest vesa mounts like this?

Google search for "headrest vesa mount" should provide something usable?

That would be quite a good solution, but unfortunately the headrests on our car are built into the seats so that wouldnt have anywhere to mount :(

thank you for the idea though :) 

To be clear, is this for you to monitor from the driver seat? Or for a passenger to monitor? If it's the former, PC Plod will be deeply unimpressed, conviction for driving without due care and attention, level of unimpressed. If it is the latter then I wouldn't want a monitor between me and the airbag, though the passenger airbag can be deactivated in most cars. If it is to be monitored by a passenger I'd suggest a laptop remote desktopping into the PC in the boot, no monitors blocking your view of the road, easily discreetly packed away for when you nip in for a KFC. If you're planning to monitor it yourself as you're driving, don't, it will end in an awkard call to your insurance company at best.

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

To be clear, is this for you to monitor from the driver seat? Or for a passenger to monitor? If it's the former, PC Plod will be deeply unimpressed, conviction for driving without due care and attention, level of unimpressed. If it is the latter then I wouldn't want a monitor between me and the airbag, though the passenger airbag can be deactivated in most cars. If it is to be monitored by a passenger I'd suggest a laptop remote desktopping into the PC in the boot, no monitors blocking your view of the road, easily discreetly packed away for when you nip in for a KFC. If you're planning to monitor it yourself as you're driving, don't, it will end in an awkard call to your insurance company at best.

It is definitely for the passenger and not the driver, I wouldn't want to have to explain that one to the cops if.

You make a good point about the airbag, it can be disabled in our car and it will all be low speed ciy driving so I'm not excessively concerned about the reduced safety of the car.

27 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

you silly Americans

you uppity British wankers. I second the whole remote access with a laptop if only because it's nice and neat, that and smashing your face into a couple monitors can be uncomfortable at best, shockingly bad at worst

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W