Threadripper Workstation - First ever PC Build

Hey everyone,

i'm planing on building this system later this month. Since it's my first ever build and my first Windows in more than ten years i would like to get some feedback! 

I'm planing to use it mostly for Rendering (CPU based: Keyshot, GPU based: Blender, After-Effects, etc). Video,Photo work and some CAD as well. A workstation mainly. Some gaming from time to time - but no focus on that. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/WgtxzM

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX TR4 Motherboard  Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3400 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card
Case: Corsair - Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

I find it really hard to settle on the CPU cooling solution. I would love to have a corsair AIO for the TR4 socket. Since the H115i is working "okay" i think i might stick with it for the next couple of years until there will be maybe some more options on the market. Thought about the Nocuta solution - but there might be problems with the size - so the h115i it is. 

The Power supply should be enough. Im not really planing on putting in another 1080 at the moment. OC of the 1950x is not an focus for now. maybe later. just to get a little more power out of it.

I opted for the 1080 and not the 1070 since im planing on buying a VR headset later this year as well. Mostly for Industrial Design application. So i thought a little more power on the GPU wouldn't hurt. 

Since its a workstation the case is a perfect fit. Hope the airflow is enough. The H500P from cooler master looks quite nice. But since the case is somewhere under the desk - the case really doesn't matter. Therefore an understated case like the 600q is preferred. 

The aesthetics of the parts don't really matter to me - since they wont be visible. Its more about the power. 

Let me know what you guys think! 

i might be wrong but i think msi  has been having problems with ryzen, with slow bios updates and low ram compatibility (might be another oem)

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i might be wrong but i think msi  has been having problems with ryzen, with slow bios updates and low ram compatibility (might be another oem)

Thanks! Yeah i've seen a review where they were walking about slow bios updates. Not sure if thats a problems. Compatibility on the other hand would suck! I didn't want to - but maybe it would be safer with the ASUS mainboard. It's a 100 bucks more but i really don't want to spend weeks of trouble shooting - especially since i haven't worked with windows for quite some time. 

btw its easier to achieve 3200mhz no ram if you use samsung b-die (a memory chip), they are found on some gkill kits and others, here is a list of kits that use this chip

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

btw its easier to achieve 3200mhz no ram if you use samsung b-die (a memory chip), they are found on some gkill kits and others, here is a list of kits that use this chip

thanks man! i updated my parts list with the g-skill trident Z 3400 ram. If i didnt scrue up - those have samsung b-dies. And i upgraded to the asus zenith extreme mobo.