First Time Build Help

SupamanLawson
Just now, JDE said:

Not in multi tasking, but currently in gaming, yes.

I don't really know much about new amd cpu but if u say u maybe know :D

4 minutes ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

I don't really know much about new amd cpu but if u say u maybe know :D

A 4 core 8 thread 7700K can't possibly beat a 8 core 16 thread Ryzen 7 in multithreaded applications

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Good choice, I have nothing wrong with you going with it :) 

8 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Look at his channel if you want proof. 50% of his videos are "Intel sucks" and "Nvidia sucks" the rest are "AMD is awesome" videos.

Just because he FOCUSES on AMD doesn't mean he's biased. You CAN call someone biased if they only recommend products from one company. He said the 7700K is still the best PURELY FOR GAMING cpu, and the G4560 really has no competition down at that price range (x4 950, yuck, based on Crapdozer)

Huh? Nvidia doesn't innovate? The 1080 Ti is 50% faster than the 980 Ti, Vega64 is 25-30% better than the Fury X.

1080 Ti is only faster because they held back the performance of the 980 Ti to release the (old) Titan X (whoever thinks up the Titan's naming scheme should be fired right away) so the Titan X would be a reasonable improvement. The 980 Ti wasn't a flagship in its own right. It was simply a held-back, cut-down version of the (old) Titan X.

The problem wasn't Maxwell. The problem was that Nvidia held back the performance for later at a higher price. Intel has been doing this too.

Also, I should have chosen a different word. Nvidia innovates, however they simply don't CARE about the consumer. They just want to make money.

Well guess what? You can't hit 4Ghz on the Ryzen stock cooler either.

True, my point was it can get to 3.7 or 3.8 most of the time with reasonable temps. 7700K can't do that with a similar cooler due to the toothpaste-equivalent thermal compound they used for underneath the heat spreader.

Before you start screaming "YOU'RE AN INTEL FANBOY!1!1!!1!!111!": The Ryzen 5 1600 is a much better option than an i5 (for gaming), but the i7s are the best gaming CPUs and you cannot deny that.

Perfectly true. I agree as well. However the 1600 offers better value for pure gaming (performance/$) and MUCH better value for productivity and having a bunch of stuff running in the background while gaming. You can't argue that for either gaming or productivity or a mix of the two, the 1600 is a much better VALUE.

VALUE dost not mean FASTER. It simply means faster FOR THE MONEY. The 7700K is faster, sure, however you spend WAY more money than you should to get that extra performance.

I agree with most of your points, not looking to start a war here. The 7700k isn't a bad CPU and you won't have a bad experience with it. If it was $200 and didn't have no upgrade path I'd recommend it. However you're spending a lot of money for it and you make quite a few sacrifices for that extra performance.

6 hours ago, JDE said:

A 4 core 8 thread 7700K can't possibly beat a 8 core 16 thread Ryzen 7 in multithreaded applications

I just wish Intel would come out with a cheap CPU that offered a happy medium between single-threaded and multi-threaded performance for your money and wasn't trash.

7 hours ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

my bad

anyway i7 7700k better than any ryzen :)

Multi-threaded performance falls FAR behind Ryzen. That will impact stuff like streaming, video editing and rendering, and having stuff open in the background while gaming.

Even in games, the 7700K won't be the best for long. 8700K/Zen 2 will beat the stuffing out of it in future games. Coffee Lake is rumored to be coming next month, Zen 2 is coming sometime next year.

3 hours ago, MegaVoltz said:

I just wish Intel would come out with a cheap CPU that offered a happy medium between single-threaded and multi-threaded performance for your money and wasn't trash.

cough cough COVFEFE LAKE cough cough

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Thread cleaned.

Let's stay on-topic.

Thank you sir!