What sort of soundproofing do I need

CatXice

I need sound proofing for my room, only on 1 wall roughly 2.5m*2.5m. It needs to block the noise from me talking when gaming I would rather the level of sound blocking be slightly more then what I need, as the walls are made of paper and u can hear a pin drop though them and it needs to block all the noise from me talking. 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

3 minutes ago, CatXice said:

I need sound proofing for my room, only on 1 wall roughly 2.5m*2.5m. It needs to block the noise from me talking when gaming I would rather the level of sound blocking be slightly more then what I need, as the walls are made of paper and u can hear a pin drop though them and it needs to block all the noise from me talking. 

The only way to properly soundproof the room would be to take down the drywall or if it's brick/concrete to build out and add sound proof insulation and drywall if you really need absolute silence. 

This ^^ is the proper way of doing it, you could look into those triangular shaped foam thingies that  Total Biscuit use, like the ones they use in echo chambers (I think)

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The only way to properly soundproof the room would be to take down the drywall or if it's brick/concrete to build out and add sound proof insulation and drywall if you really need absolute silence. 

Could I not just put the insulation up and then put another piece of drywall over that??

Just now, KaareKanin said:

This ^^ is the proper way of doing it, you could look into those triangular shaped foam thingies that  Total Biscuit use, like the ones they use in echo chambers (I think)

I have done some research and the egg crate type foam only reduces echo and not block the sound transfer  

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

It's probably not practical to soundproof your room as it is right now. If you put foam on the walls it would stop echo and may deaden some small sounds, but talking will still go through it. Adding insulation to the walls would be the best way but I doubt that's very doable. But make sure your door is sealed all around, that can help a lot

I guess this won't be your kind of thing, but you could always build an active sound cancelling speaker system. "They" tell me it's quite easy

2 minutes ago, CatXice said:

Could I not just put the insulation up and then put another piece of drywall over that??

I have done some research and the egg crate type foam only reduces echo and not block the sound transfer  

Yes but that would lead to a very poor sound barrier it needs a dead air space behind it, the insulation helps with low level noise and regular drywall is not the best at blocking sound if it's significant. For a simple but effective solution you can hang very heavy weight certain away from the wall around the room to help dampen the noise a certain amount. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

1 hour ago, Eaglerino said:

It's probably not practical to soundproof your room as it is right now. If you put foam on the walls it would stop echo and may deaden some small sounds, but talking will still go through it. Adding insulation to the walls would be the best way but I doubt that's very doable. But make sure your door is sealed all around, that can help a lot

Had an idea i work in the building trade so i can get cavity insulation easy would that be any good? 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

12 minutes ago, CatXice said:

Had an idea i work in the building trade so i can get cavity insulation easy would that be any good? 

You will want to make sure it's acoustical insulation not just regular insulation, depending where you are Roxul is one we have here. 

http://www.roxul.com/products/roxul-safensound/

http://www.roxul.com/products/afb/