Cablemod Cables

FireCharge

Hey guys, currently own a Seasonic X850 PSU and using a custom 8+6 GPU cable from Cablemod (not extension).

Thing is I'm going to mod the psu shroud I made for my NZXT Phantom 410 soon and add a hole for the GPU cables, and the 8+6 doesn't really look that good.

So a couple things came in mind:

1. Can I somehow just cut the 6 pin add-on and keep the 8 pin? Is it safe?

2. If not (technically if so as well), should I pick up extensions or just sleeved cables? Frankly I'm leaning towards the extensions because the sleeved ones seem to have extra cables for some reason (I.E. several connectors leading to one specific connector, which is bugging me)

Thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, FireCharge said:

Hey guys, currently own a Seasonic X850 PSU and using a custom 8+6 GPU cable from Cablemod (not extension).

Thing is I'm going to mod the psu shroud I made for my NZXT Phantom 410 soon and add a hole for the GPU cables, and the 8+6 doesn't really look that good.

So a couple things came in mind:

1. Can I somehow just cut the 6 pin add-on and keep the 8 pin? Is it safe?

2. If not (technically if so as well), should I pick up extensions or just sleeved cables? Frankly I'm leaning towards the extensions because the sleeved ones seem to have extra cables for some reason (I.E. several connectors leading to one specific connector, which is bugging me)

Thanks for the help!

For the +2 pin depending on the kit you get there should be one with just a 6 pin PCI-E connector. If not you can request that from the sleeving configuator or modify it by very carefully removing and insulating the ends of the +2 cable. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

For the +2 pin depending on the kit you get there should be one with just a 6 pin PCI-E connector. If not you can request that from the sleeving configuator or modify it by very carefully removing and insulating the ends of the +2 cable. 

The configurator has a 6 pin and 8 pin variants, both for extensions and sleeved cables.

As I said I currently have an 8+6 variant that I want to replace.

Money isn't that big a problem, should I just get new cables then?

If so custom PSU cables or extensions?

Just now, FireCharge said:

The configurator has a 6 pin and 8 pin variants, both for extensions and sleeved cables.

As I said I currently have an 8+6 variant that I want to replace.

Money isn't that big a problem, should I just get new cables then?

If so custom PSU cables or extensions?

If you already have a set of sleeved replacement cables for the PSU and you know how properly remove the extra 8pin portion that would probably be easiest. If you don't want to hassle though you can use the configator to just order a single PSU replacement cable.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

If you already have a set of sleeved replacement cables for the PSU and you know how properly remove the extra 8pin portion that would probably be easiest. If you don't want to hassle though you can use the configator to just order a single PSU replacement cable.

Then should I get extensions or PSU cables?

Thing is that the PSU cables have a weird twist in the connector, not sure if it's because of the 8+6 or is it just how it's made. This kinda makes me lean towards extensions but I'm not sure what's the difference.

unnamed.jpg

3 minutes ago, FireCharge said:

Then should I get extensions or PSU cables?

Thing is that the PSU cables have a weird twist in the connector, not sure if it's because of the 8+6 or is it just how it's made. This kinda makes me lean towards extensions but I'm not sure what's the difference.

Extensions require the use of the original PSU cables and extend what is there, for PSU replacement cables they are as they state replace the full cable from the PSU to the device that will be powered. I would recommend to get a just two replacement cables for the PSU if you want to have a separate 6pin and 8pin PCI-E connection.