loading linux on ancient mac systems

hey i just wanted to know if it was possible to try to install ubuntu or other forms of linux on macs dating back to 2006 i think it would be a good way to breath life into the systems and even make a few bucks of of stuff in the tech recycle bin

4 minutes ago, justinbaileynes1987 said:

hey i just wanted to know if it was possible to try to install ubuntu or other forms of linux on macs dating back to 2006 i think it would be a good way to breath life into the systems and even make a few bucks of of stuff in the tech recycle bin

It's very do-able via bootcamp or other boot managers ontop of an existing mac installation.  I don't know about standalone linux for Macs.  If somebody knows of a way I'll be interested.  I've got a mac mini from around that era.

You need a distribution designed for PowerPC processors if your Mac has one.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

my first subject for this experiment is a white macbook with an intel core duo from  late 2006 i recently took apart to fix the disk drive. it wont recognize the live usb disk

well i might have to take this to the troubleshooting board none of these guides are working the disk is still not showing up as bootable in any way

im going to look for more guides

should i post another thread on the troubleshooting part of the forum?

41 minutes ago, justinbaileynes1987 said:

You should be able to, but I'm not sure how the BIOS will react. That being said, I thought you were talking about older mac (one of the PPC based systems).
Also, if you have a desktop available plug in the HDD for the macbook, install Linux onto it that way then put the HDD into the macbook. Unlike Windows Linux does not care at all about which computer you first installed it on (kind of like Windows 9x).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

that seems like a good idea installing on another computer but im not sure how well it would boot if at all as mac systems actually *fun fact* DO NOT HAVE A BIOS, its apple's way of saying only use osx i guess

45 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Unlike Windows Linux does not care at all about which computer you first installed it on (kind of like Windows 9x).

It cares to an extent. Many distros discard any configuration files for AMD processors when installed on Intel machines, and vice versa. Not enough to cause anything more than a few hours or days of soft crashes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

well if the mac is intel and the other pc i use to install ubuntu on is also intel that should be fine right?

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It cares to an extent. Many distros discard any configuration files for AMD processors when installed on Intel machines, and vice versa. Not enough to cause anything more than a few hours or days of soft crashes.

I've never had that problem going from my Phenom II N970+MR HD5650 and A8 4555m based laptops to any of my Intel based desktops (Dual Pentium III 1000+VIA Apollo Pro 133a, Xeon X5450+P45, i5 4440+H87, i7 4790K+Z97) and vice versa. That was with Lubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 BTW.

PMSL

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That was with Lubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 BTW.

Constant soft locks with Ubuntu 12.04 to 16.04, Mint 12 and up, Slacko Puppy, BackTrack 5, Kali, for the first few hours. Issues always solved after running updates and getting those config files installed again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Constant soft locks with Ubuntu 12.04 to 16.04, Mint 12 and up, Slacko Puppy, BackTrack 5, Kali, for the first few hours. Issues always solved after running updates and getting those config files installed again.

I must have gotten lucky then. But the hardware was very different each time, especially with the A8 4555M.

PMSL

hey a bit of an update i tried a bunch of other stuff and eventually installed ubuntu on the drive using a usb to sata cable on another computer. now the mac cant seem to find ubuntu on the hard drive and dual boot mac os