Overclock stability help

Hello all. Recently I started recording my gameplay with OBS and once I found some settings that worked I discovered my system would crash via a freezing and a buzzing sound. I thought it was either my CPU or GPU overclock that wasn't stable (Which I have been running these overclocks before I started recording for months without issue). I started with removing my GPU overclock and the crash changed from a freeze with a buzzing sound to just a freeze. Then I removed the CPU overclock and I didn't freeze at all (or atleast in the 2 hour recording I did, before with the OC I was getting a freeze anywhere from 1 minute to 45 minutes). So I put the CPU overclock back on and just increased the voltage hoping that would make the OC stable and get rid of my issue. I went from my 4.4 @ 1.235 and increased it in .005 increments and got all the way up to 1.295 and was still getting the crashing. 

Any idea on why this might be? I cant imagine my OC could be stable with everything minus recording at 1.235 but not be stable recording even at 1.295

How did you validate the OC?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

23 minutes ago, SmileAsTheyDie said:

Hello all. Recently I started recording my gameplay with OBS and once I found some settings that worked I discovered my system would crash via a freezing and a buzzing sound. I thought it was either my CPU or GPU overclock that wasn't stable (Which I have been running these overclocks before I started recording for months without issue). I started with removing my GPU overclock and the crash changed from a freeze with a buzzing sound to just a freeze. Then I removed the CPU overclock and I didn't freeze at all (or atleast in the 2 hour recording I did, before with the OC I was getting a freeze anywhere from 1 minute to 45 minutes). So I put the CPU overclock back on and just increased the voltage hoping that would make the OC stable and get rid of my issue. I went from my 4.4 @ 1.235 and increased it in .005 increments and got all the way up to 1.295 and was still getting the crashing. 

Any idea on why this might be? I cant imagine my OC could be stable with everything minus recording at 1.235 but not be stable recording even at 1.295

you oc your ram?

try cinebench

prime64

memtest

to test your component

3 minutes ago, Necrodor21 said:

you oc your ram?

try cinebench

prime64

memtest

to test your component

I do have RAM that is clocked at 2133 via XMP.

I have ran cinebench, prime95, AIDA64 in the past when I was initially testing my CPU overclock over a year ago and it ran smooth.

Though I only fairly recently swapped the RAM I was using for the longest time (some generic 1600mhz ram) for my current kingston hyperx 2133mhz, though since changing that I didn't have any problem with any other program I use. Could the RAM being overclocked be causing the instability while recording?

8 hours ago, SmileAsTheyDie said:

I do have RAM that is clocked at 2133 via XMP.

I have ran cinebench, prime95, AIDA64 in the past when I was initially testing my CPU overclock over a year ago and it ran smooth.

Though I only fairly recently swapped the RAM I was using for the longest time (some generic 1600mhz ram) for my current kingston hyperx 2133mhz, though since changing that I didn't have any problem with any other program I use. Could the RAM being overclocked be causing the instability while recording?

freeze can cause the ram vaulty

but many of ram error, most of em isnt just freeze it would be a bsod

11 hours ago, Necrodor21 said:

freeze can cause the ram vaulty

but many of ram error, most of em isnt just freeze it would be a bsod

Well last night I ran a memtest with my RAM running at 2133 and over 10 passes I got no errors.

I also did some more testing today and I discovered the crash does occur when my CPU is at stock too along with when my ram is at the 1600mhz XMP profile. So even with everything in my system running at stock the freezes still occur while recording.

1 hour ago, SmileAsTheyDie said:

Well last night I ran a memtest with my RAM running at 2133 and over 10 passes I got no errors.

I also did some more testing today and I discovered the crash does occur when my CPU is at stock too along with when my ram is at the 1600mhz XMP profile. So even with everything in my system running at stock the freezes still occur while recording.

reinstall your system with stock