RE-BUILDING PC Help!

EchoBlue

Hello everyone

I built my very first desktop PC about 6 to 7 Years ago.

I was really proud of myself to build it but I stopped using it for about a couple of years ago,

The PC runs well but I wanted to give it new life by upgrading parts. 

Probably will keep the case and some other parts but replacing maybe the graphics card.

I want YOUR opinion the SMART people who know all the latest when it comes to PC to tell me what you think I should replace or keep.

I don't really want to spend too much money on the upgrade but I want to use it as my main PC again.

Note I can not seem to get the monitor to recognize the PC so I am just going to guess what parts I had put together...

Now for the SPECS! 

Case: CoolerMaster HAF X

Motherboard: GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H

RAM:4GB I think Has 2 G Skill RAMs

HDD1:SSD I think it was 240GB 

HDD2:1TB WD 

CPU:AMD PHENOM 2

GPU:XFX Radeon HD5830 

I think it really needs to be upgraded.

I am willing to spend $1000 or more to maybe even Build a Brand new PC.

But I would also like to give this PC some new life by upgrading parts...

If anyone out there is nice enough to help me out I would REALLY appreciate it! 

THANK YOU!

pcparts.jpg

Keep the case unless you want more space in your new build or prefer a different aesthetic.

Definitely keep the Hard Drive and SSD but keep a backup drive in case either of the drives fail since they are quite old.

Since you are spending $1000 you are probably going to find very good price:performance parts such as the GTX 1070-1060.

Ryzen chips are also very good and completely outclass your old hardware. Only keep the old mobo, GPU and CPU if you want a memento or if you want money you can sell it as there are quite a few buyers looking for cheap and old products like the phenom 2 for budget builds.

4GB of RAM isn't bad but I would recommend getting higher capacity sticks such as 2* 8GB sticks for 16GB max and selling the old sticks.

Good luck with the new build!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.43 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($147.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $989.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-29 19:37 EDT-0400

+old ssd, old hdd, old case

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.43 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($127.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $948.38
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-29 19:40 EDT-0400

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

@kirby99_2016 
Hey Thanks for replying!
Do you know any sites where you can get how much old parts would cost?
Just so that I get an idea of how much I should be selling it for...

Thanks

@Colexd
Basically you think I should replace most of the parts for upgraded parts right?
If I had extra money for a new case which one do you think I should get? 

6 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

@kirby99_2016 
Hey Thanks for replying!
Do you know any sites where you can get how much old parts would cost?
Just so that I get an idea of how much I should be selling it for...

Thanks

@Colexd
Basically you think I should replace most of the parts for upgraded parts right?

Yeah. For cases, I really think that it depends on the person because each one has different tastes and all. Some want cheap ones while others go for the looks. That said, there are tons of cases of there. The nzxt s340 seems to be a popular choice.

23 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

I would say replace everything except the storage and case (unless you want to upgrade it).

If you had money for a new case it depends on what price range you're looking at. If you want a decent mid range case there's the s340. For $80-$90 ish cases if you want a more aggressive look I like the P400s and if you would rather have a more minimalistic and quiet case the define s is a very good choice. The Define C is also worth looking into if you like smaller cases. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I would say replace everything except the storage and case (unless you want to upgrade it).

If you had money for a new case it depends on what price range you're looking at. If you want a decent mid range case there's the s340. For $80-$90 ish cases if you want a more aggressive look I like the P400s and if you would rather have a more minimalistic and quiet case the define s is a very good choice. The Define C is also worth looking into if you like smaller cases. 

Are there sites or places where I can sell the whole thing or parts?
But first I can't seem to get the PC to recognize the monitor... I tried the same cable on my laptop and it worked... 
Thank you all for helping me out.

9 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Are there sites or places where I can sell the whole thing or parts?
But first I can't seem to get the PC to recognize the monitor... I tried the same cable on my laptop and it worked... 
Thank you all for helping me out.

eBay, Craigslist if you're willing to do that sort of stuff (though according to @CUDA_Cores you tend to get better prices on eBay even after factoring in the chunk of money they take).

Does your motherboard have a display output? You could try using that instead. Before that though try clearing the cmos.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

somethings not right here. Your motherboard according to google images is this:

Image result for Asus P4P800S-X

that is a socket 478 motherboard from the early 2000s and for starters, it doesn't work with AMD CPUs. This motherboard also only supports DDR1, which only goes up to 1GB per stick. I think you got your motherboard wrong kid. 

Everything else seems to line up as far as appropriate specs except this. 

Hey I think I mixed it up with another PC I had long time ago. 
I updated the first post and picture I found with all the parts I used.
Thanks for helping me

Just now, EchoBlue said:

Hey I think I mixed it up with another PC I had long time ago. 
I updated the first post and picture I found with all the parts I used.
Thanks for helping me

Yep. That's a compatible motherboard.

2975.jpg

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

After giving it some thoughts and doing a ton of research there are a lot of amazing cool looking cases out there. 
I stopped looking into TECH/Computer parts and stuff since 2010. 
A lot has changed the past 7 years! 
I am still not sure why connecting the VGA on to my PC isn't working... I know the cable or the monitor works fine... Is it possible that the on-board motherboard VGA port is dead?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

After giving it some thoughts and doing a ton of research there are a lot of amazing cool looking cases out there. 
I stopped looking into TECH/Computer parts and stuff since 2010. 
A lot has changed the past 7 years! 
I am still not sure why connecting the VGA on to my PC isn't working... I know the cable or the monitor works fine... Is it possible that the on-board motherboard VGA port is dead?

Thanks

Probably the chipset portion is dead :/

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Probably the chipset portion is dead :/

Would this mean that the whole thing is dead except for the power supply and the hard drives?
I tried to boot it up and I heard the windows start up sound though.
Maybe I should just fix up whatever I can and give it to a family member for basic computing needs. 
I am thinking about building a BRAND NEW PC for myself.
Budget would be probably $2000-$3000 

If anyone can build me a nice spec for me that be great.
Also I have always been scared of water cooling for years. Is it really worth going towards water cooling? 
I don't mind dusting every month or so.
Thank you all! 

4 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

Would this mean that the whole thing is dead except for the power supply and the hard drives?
I tried to boot it up and I heard the windows start up sound though.
Maybe I should just fix up whatever I can and give it to a family member for basic computing needs. 
I am thinking about building a BRAND NEW PC for myself.
Budget would be probably $2000-$3000 

If anyone can build me a nice spec for me that be great.
Also I have always been scared of water cooling for years. Is it really worth going towards water cooling? 
I don't mind dusting every month or so.
Thank you all! 

What are you doing with the PC? Location?

Watercooling that isn't custom loops are just as simple as air coolers. No refilling required. And pretty much no leakage.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

14 minutes ago, JDE said:

What are you doing with the PC? Location?

Watercooling that isn't custom loops are just as simple as air coolers. No refilling required. And pretty much no leakage.

What do you mean by what am I doing with the PC? And location?
I am thinking about just replacing parts that need to be in order for it to work and giving it to a family member instead.

About the watercooling are you telling me that its not worth to water cool it?
I'm sure even if it is water cooled it would still collect dust in the inside of the PC right?

Just now, EchoBlue said:

What do you mean by what am I doing with the PC?

Some programs like a lot of cores and threads and some programs like very little cores and high clocks

Just tell me if you are rendering, editing, streaming, gaming or something else or a combination

1 minute ago, EchoBlue said:

And location?

So I can make a part list. The country will do.

2 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

About the watercooling are you telling me that its not worth to water cool it?
I'm sure even if it is water cooled it would still collect dust in the inside of the PC right?

Of course it will collect dust.

It really depends on the processor. Some processors don't emit much heat even when overclocked and some processors (COUGH COUGH INTEL i9) emit so much heat it might burn your house down if you don't liquid cool it.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I will be doing mostly 
-Gaming -Photoshop -Video Editing -Video Streaming
I am located in Canada 
As for liquid cooling, let's just forget about it. 
I don't think its worth the time and effort to look into that stuff. Looks super cool though.

As for my current PC my old dying PC that I am probably going to give away you don't think I should replace any parts? 
Maybe just buy a new motherboard the same one though? 
I still don't understand why the VGA port isn't recognizing the monitor. 
When I plug it in the monitor says Connecting and then says No signal... 

A quick update!
I got the monitor to work! Hurray!! :D 
I guess based on the current spec of this PC it can do simple tasks such as light gaming not at the highest setting but minimum settings.
Internet browsing and very simple tasks?

I also would like a build from someone that can build me a PC where I would be

Budget would be $2000-$3000 CAD.

Yes I am in Canada.

I'm looking at computer cases and there are some awesome ones out there.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, EchoBlue said:

A quick update!
I got the monitor to work! Hurray!! :D 
I guess based on the current spec of this PC it can do simple tasks such as light gaming not at the highest setting but minimum settings.
Internet browsing and very simple tasks?

I also would like a build from someone that can build me a PC where I would be

Budget would be $2000-$3000 CAD.

Yes I am in Canada.

I'm looking at computer cases and there are some awesome ones out there.

Thank you.

Note: I've not added monitor, do you need one? what type of cpu cooler you prefer. water cooling need maintenance but you can go with AIO cooler & they are pretty good as well. & last question is your preference for case. This build below would be very powerful system capable of gaming, steaming, video editing/rendering, multi tasking & so on but you can save a lot of cash with lower specs if you don't need that much powerful system.    

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($378.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($114.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.90 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card  ($926.99 @ PC Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $1973.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-30 03:09 EDT-0400

@Fardin

With Video card is the GTX 1080 Ti the best or the latest video card out there?
Also AMD Ryzen that much better per cost than the Intel CPU?

Overall I think the build you gave me looks good just have to do some research on these components but would like your thoughts.

Thank you

49 minutes ago, EchoBlue said:

@Fardin

With Video card is the GTX 1080 Ti the best or the latest video card out there?
Also AMD Ryzen that much better per cost than the Intel CPU?

Overall I think the build you gave me looks good just have to do some research on these components but would like your thoughts.

Thank you

Yup it is an absolute beast :D  about Amd, at this moment ryzen provides the best price to performance value. However Intel's 8th gen soon coming as well which will offer more cores for multi tasking needs. If you are willing to build a system right now, then you should go for ryzen. if you can wait, then wait to see Intel's coffee lake is released. Feel free to consult & research as much as you want before you finally buy. for rest of components you are welcome to discuss here. I'm sure not just me, but also lot other will help you get the best out of your budget! 

I think it would be best to wait then. 
Until then I wanted to know if anyone has a suggestion on wireless networking cards for desktop PC. 
I had one on the old PC I built but I think at least that needs to be upgraded...
If anyone can help me with that it would be AWESOME!! :D 
Thanks