1060 6GB or R9 Fury?

Ricardo56

I kind of know the answer already since because power draw (my PSU will "only" be 620W), age and the r9 only has about half a year warranty, but I didn't really see much difference on gpu.userbenchmark until I got to csgo framerates (other than that I only play RL and the Borderlands series).

So I was wondering if 350€ for a r9 fury is nice or not, knowing that I the 1060 6gb here is the same price but new with 2 years warranty

There's also a r9 fury x for 390€ so I dunno

1 minute ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

here is a site to compare gpu performance

the r9 has more performance but warranty is also nice to have.

Hmm found some graphics cards I'd never heard about like a 980 Ti K and a Radeon Pro Duo '-' Thanks for the site my dude :)

Just now, Ricardo56 said:

Hmm found some graphics cards I'd never heard about like a 980 Ti K and a Radeon Pro Duo '-' Thanks for the site my dude :)

(the 980ti kingpin is just a normal 980ti with more power delivery for overclocking)

3 minutes ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

(the 980ti kingpin is just a normal 980ti with more power delivery for overclocking)

Technically I'll be fine with a 620W PSU if I get the r9, right? I just won't be at 50% like I'm kind of supposed to

^With a r5 1600

1 minute ago, Ricardo56 said:

Technically I'll be fine with a 620W PSU if I get the r9, right? I just won't be at 50% like I'm kind of supposed to

^With a r5 1600

yes

2 hours ago, Ricardo56 said:

^With a r5 1600

A 620W PSU is way more than you need.  A system like that would probably use 400W at absolute full load.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just go with the 1060.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 620W PSU is way more than you need.  A system like that would probably use 400W at absolute full load.

What about all those thing I learned about efficiency curves and stuff? :|

13 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

That only a few percent at most, nothing to worry about really. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

30 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

A regular bottom of the barrel 620W PSU will provide up to 620W of power.  An 80+ Titanium 620W will also provide up to 620W of power.  Efficiency determines how much power they draw, but the wattage listed with the PSU (620W in your case) is how much power they can output.  A 620W PSU that is 80% efficient will draw up to 775W (620/0.8) from the wall.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

58 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

A regular bottom of the barrel 620W PSU will provide up to 620W of power.  An 80+ Titanium 620W will also provide up to 620W of power.  Efficiency determines how much power they draw, but the wattage listed with the PSU (620W in your case) is how much power they can output.  A 620W PSU that is 80% efficient will draw up to 775W (620/0.8) from the wall.

Oh. So only one guy answered the fury or 1060 question, are they really that close in performance?

9 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Oh. So only one guy answered the fury or 1060 question, are they really that close in performance?

It varies from game to game, but they're pretty similar.  I'd get the 1060, but I tend to lean towards NVIDIA in general.  You might want to turn down your volume first because of the loud music, but take a look at these benchmark videos:

Also keep in mind that the differences shown here are exaggerated because they are stress tests.  It will still show which one performs better in each game though.

I’d personally go 1060 but the Fury still seems fine for today.

With all that said, I am interested in a Vega 56 that has an aftermarket cooler 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'd definitely get the 1060. Way less power draw, more driver support in the future, warranty, good power... 

If you can, wait another month or two for the mining craze too cool off, and get the card for cheaper. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

9 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

I'd definitely get the 1060. Way less power draw, more driver support in the future, warranty, good power... 

If you can, wait another month or two for the mining craze too cool off, and get the card for cheaper. 

I have no choice but to wait a month or two, my grandma only pays me after the holidays :\ Thanks though :)