1080ti Poseidon Worth it if not on Water?

jaysangwan32

Hey guys,

Building a 1080ti based build fairly soon and I'm picking a card. Stumbled upon Jay's video of the 1080ti Poseidon, and saw it was his highest clock on air.

Can that be attributed to lottery/binned by provider? or is it a physical cooling/PCB advantage (sorry if I used the incorrect term; my PC component knowledge is limited).

Besides that, I like the overall aesthetic of the card.

Is it worth getting over the EVGA FTW3 for these reasons?

Thanks for the help in advance!

It is probably not worth it on air because it has water cooling in mind so it shines the best when it is liquid cooled. But the air cooler still lets the card preform very well. If you like the aesthetics then get it and you will be set when you want to water cool

3 minutes ago, jaysangwan32 said:

Hey guys,

Building a 1080ti based build fairly soon and I'm picking a card. Stumbled upon Jay's video of the 1080ti Poseidon, and saw it was his highest clock on air.

Can that be attributed to lottery/binned by provider? or is it a physical cooling/PCB advantage (sorry if I used the incorrect term; my PC component knowledge is limited).

Besides that, I like the overall aesthetic of the card.

Is it worth getting over the EVGA FTW3 for these reasons?

Thanks for the help in advance!

would be a waste to use it with air only if you ask me. only buy it if you know you gonna water cool it. because it is not a cheap card. gl

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Advertised clocks don't mean shit, the cooler the card is the faster it will be. EVGA FTW3 is a better choice.

Would the Lightning X or Z be better?

Thanks for the quick response!

Just now, jaysangwan32 said:

Would the Lightning X or Z be better?

Thanks for the quick response!

if i had no budget for a 1080ti, i would buy the evga hybrid or the gigabyte waterforce, or the evga kingpin (but thats kinda expensive)

Jay's clocks were in part due to the silicon lottery. nothing more than that.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

36 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

if i had no budget for a 1080ti, i would buy the evga hybrid or the gigabyte waterforce, or the evga kingpin (but thats kinda expensive)

Unfortunately, I can't find the kingpin anywhere.

Thank you for the advice though!

13 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the clarification.

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

or maybe the "reviewer" got lucky... and got offered the best haha
[not saying its a sht move by companies for positive reviews but eh im okay with a few compromises here and there no product was ever perfect to begin with]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

5 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

or maybe the "reviewer" got lucky... and got offered the best haha
[not saying its a sht move by companies for positive reviews but eh im okay with a few compromises here and there no product was ever perfect to begin with]

Are you aware of the card is binned to begin with? I know the lightning, for example, is binned

15 minutes ago, jaysangwan32 said:

Are you aware of the card is binned to begin with? I know the lightning, for example, is binned

Im aware of it lol it was just an inside joke haha

---

9 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

Im aware of it lol it was just an inside joke haha

Nooo I get the joke :P I was asking IF the card is binned because I'm unaware.

Sorry if it came off as rude.