GTX 1070, 1080 no sync or rx vega 56 freesync?

DustHaze

Hi guys :)

I know this topic is very common and I know its not so different but I need to know this things for my current situation.

So I have this system https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdTCxY

It have all the requirements necessary for all these cards I mentioned in the title

so I'm a hardcore gamer I play when I have time about all day if I want to, I play Battlefield 4, 3 , Rust and many graphics demanding games and

I'm planing to buy a 144hz monitor and I don't have money for G-sync but only free-sync, I don't know how much will freesync or no sync matter if I bought gtx 1070 or even the 1080

if it doesn't matter much then I'll buy one of the two.

And for the Vega price forget about it, if I'm buying it, its not gonna be its high expensive price.

I'd personally opt for Vega 56 + FreeSync. From what I've seen it's between the 1070 and 1080 in performance and FreeSync is definitely worth it.

Just make sure you won't be buying an overpriced product, Vega prices spiked very high due to high demand so make sure you're buying it at least close to the SRP of 399$.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

i would hold out for custom AIB vega 56 cards. unless you're going to swap out the reference blower on the 56 with a waterblock for watercooling 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i would hold out for custom AIB vega 56 cards. unless you're going to swap out the reference blower on the 56 with a waterblock for watercooling 

I don't like water-cooling as it require constant maintenance 

I just went through this. I said screw it and bought a 1080, works great at 4k. I have a freesync monitor but honestly running fast sync seems to be more than enough for most cases of screen tearing.

That and Vega is pushing $800 or more here in Canada so screw that. Got my 1080 for $650.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

3 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

I just went through this. I said screw it and bought a 1080, works great at 4k. I have a freesync monitor but honestly running fast sync seems to be more than enough for most cases of screen tearing.

That and Vega is pushing $800 or more here in Canada so screw that. Got my 1080 for $650.

but does it solve stuttering?

3 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

I don't like water-cooling as it require constant maintenance 

a custom AIB vega 56 is your best bet. 

also adaptive sync isn't a magical tool that will make your games appear to run better. it's still important to have good, consistent frame rates. however adaptive sync does help smooth out some jarring moments

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

a custom AIB vega 56 is your best bet. 

also adaptive sync isn't a magical tool that will make your games appear to run better. it's still important to have good, consistent frame rates. however adaptive sync does help smooth out some jarring moments

so how about what @ApolloX75 said about 1080 fast sync will it preform better than free sync ?

With Vega, the real question is that are you ever gonna reach 144 fps in modern titles? Vega is more about compute performance than gaming.

I was using AMD GPU for more than 10 years till 2~3 months ago I got the 1080 Ti.

I felt like a blind man who could see again :)

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

There are couple tools that can resolve the stuttering, And things you can do in game, Stuttering is caused by missing frames or too little frames out put, Freesync/vsync can actually make it worse if you don't have 30+ frames, If I am not mistaken it delays or skips the frame.. so in my head it could make it worse at least,
You should think about how many frames do you get in the game right now? and how many frames does your current monitor support?

This tool kinda helped me fix it for csgo, But I still have screen tearing, I am building my new computer though and this shit isn't needed then. xD

GSync and FreeSync only matter if your FPS is below your monitor's refresh rate, and if your FPS is consistently above your monitor's refresh, Fast Sync is probably best. With a GTX 1080, you can easily beat 144 fps at 1080p with high settings (sometimes better) in modern games.

12 minutes ago, Hackoroid said:

With Vega, the real question is that are you ever gonna reach 144 fps in modern titles? Vega is more about compute performance than gaming.

@Hackoroid for what I heard or at least understand that if I had fps lower or higher that my monitor refresh rate it will cause problems like tearing and stuttering.

1 minute ago, DustHaze said:

@Hackoroid for what I heard or at least understand that if I had fps lower or higher that my monitor refresh rate it will cause problems like tearing and stuttering.

Yeah you are right, but freesync just removes tearing when fps is above the monitor's refresh rate. It cannot deal with shuttering.

2 minutes ago, (嗜杀本性)狼队 女 梅 said:

There are couple tools that can resolve the stuttering, And things you can do in game, Stuttering is caused by missing frames or too little frames out put, Freesync/vsync can actually make it worse if you don't have 30+ frames, If I am not mistaken it delays or skips the frame.. so in my head it could make it worse at least,
You should think about how many frames do you get in the game right now? and how many frames does your current monitor support?

This tool kinda helped me fix it for csgo, But I still have screen tearing, I am building my new computer though and this shit isn't needed then. xD

2 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

GSync and FreeSync only matter if your FPS is below your monitor's refresh rate, and if your FPS is consistently above your monitor's refresh, Fast Sync is probably best. With a GTX 1080, you can easily beat 144 fps at 1080p with high settings (sometimes better) in modern games.

I don't have a monitor but I might buy a freesync monitor with rages between 1-144 and I can't tell you how many frames I can have because it depends on the game and the settings and its  question of time if a new high demanding title comes in next 4 years or so I might need the freesync in that time

Just now, DustHaze said:

I don't have a monitor but I might buy a freesync monitor with rages between 1-144 and I can't tell you how many frames I can have because it depends on the game and the settings and its  question of time if a new high demanding title comes in next 4 years or so I might need the freesync in that time

Well, It makes your monitor match your gpu's frames, With this software can cause stuttering if your gpu delivers lowe fps count, 
If you have 300 frames and your monitor is 144, The tech it doesn't fix your tearing. 

33 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

It helps for sure. Not as good as freesync would be.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

17 minutes ago, (嗜杀本性)狼队 女 梅 said:

Well, It makes your monitor match your gpu's frames, With this software can cause stuttering if your gpu delivers lowe fps count, 
If you have 300 frames and your monitor is 144, The tech it doesn't fix your tearing. 

the 1080 , 1070 and vega won't reach 144fps at ultra settings and I can also cap the fps to a certain range and I see that fast sync only works when  fps is more than refresh rate but does it all matter for the sake of smooth enjoyable gameplay? if yes I might consider vega if not its 1070 or 1080.

20 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

the 1080 , 1070 and vega won't reach 144fps at ultra settings and I can also cap the fps to a certain range and I see that fast sync only works when  fps is more than refresh rate but does it all matter for the sake of smooth enjoyable gameplay? if yes I might consider vega if not its 1070 or 1080.

I guess the most important question, which as far as I can see hasn't been answered, is what resolution do you plan to play at? If you're going to play at 1080p, then any of the three cards can hit 144Hz, though I recommend the GTX 1080 if you want to run higher settings. If you plan to buy a 1440p monitor at 144Hz then you want a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti.

I don't play Battlefield 4 or Rust, but these are four year old games. I play Overwatch at 1080p on Epic with a GTX 1080 with a slight tweak or two and get 150-160fps, and Diablo 3 in 4-man rifts and grifts on all the highest settings at 1080p and get around 125-140 fps, so I have confidence that if you plan to play 1080p @ 144Hz the GTX1080 will fit your needs for a few years at High or better graphics without requiring G-Sync.

7 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

I guess the most important question, which as far as I can see hasn't been answered, is what resolution do you plan to play at? If you're going to play at 1080p, then any of the three cards can hit 144Hz, though I recommend the GTX 1080 if you want to run higher settings. If you plan to buy a 1440p monitor at 144Hz then you want a GTX 1080 or 1080Ti.

I don't play Battlefield 4 or Rust, but these are four year old games. I play Overwatch at 1080p on Epic with a GTX 1080 with a slight tweak or two and get 150-160fps, and Diablo 3 in 4-man rifts and grifts on all the highest settings at 1080p and get around 125-140 fps, so I have confidence that if you plan to play 1080p @ 144Hz the GTX1080 will fit your needs for a few years at High or better graphics without requiring G-Sync.

I play at 1080p144hz ultra settings

20 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

I play at 1080p144hz ultra settings

Then I've already given my advice.

32 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

so don't you think that the Vega 56 is much more future-proof as the newer titles might be much enjoyable if I don't have above 144 fps and that will make a smoother experience over time ?

2 minutes ago, DustHaze said:

so don't you think that the Vega 56 is much more future-proof as the newer titles might be much enjoyable if I don't have above 144 fps and that will make a smoother experience over time ?

I think it's too soon to be able to predict what the Vega 56 will be capable of, but currently for gaming purposes it appears NVidia cards are superior in pure FPS throughput and cost-to-performance.

2 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

I think it's too soon to be able to predict what the Vega 56 will be capable of, but currently for gaming purposes it appears NVidia cards are superior in pure FPS throughput and cost-to-performance.

But what about free-sync as higher frame rate doesn't matter if you have tearing, the vega 56 have been already tested and I saw lots of reviews if I get 60fps in all games at ultra settings but no tearing using free sync its better than having 100 fps with 1080 with tearing. and you can see that in this video