Is booting for the first time HARD?

I always love watching expensive cpus and gpus and just comparing them, watching my rig getting better and better and more clear throughout this site and the internet overall , but there is that one thing that always holds me back and make me reconsider...

WHEN the time comes are YOU sure you CAN build the pc and then BOOT IT??!?!?

For one reason i always consider building the pc much much easier then booting it... Its just that when i see people on youtube doing it, it seems like legos.

But when im talking about booting im frightened to open a youtube video and see how you boot a device, because many people find problems and these problems vary from user to user

In my position, i will build AMD CPU (r7 1700) and a lot of people say that AMD OVERALL REQUIRE BOOTS AND UPDATES.

So when the time comes and if (hopefully) will I, a newbie , a guy that has never built a pc or booted one, boot the pc? Is it easy? What does it take... what i should look out for??

pls help

Huh? To boot the PC, you push the power button. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Im talking about a complete new pc... never opened before

And when im talking about booting i mean , install windoes , drivers, gpu content, cpu updates and all of these goodies

3 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

And when im talking about booting i mean , install windoes , drivers, gpu content, cpu updates and all of these goodies

So what you DON'T mean is 'Booting' at all.  You mean 'Installing The OS And Configuring All of The Necessary Drivers and Software'?  Yeah, that's absolutely not 'booting'.

3 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Ah. Updating the BIOS is not that hard, especially if you get a Gigabyte board with dualBIOS (so if you screw up you have a backup). And installing Windows is easy, you just boot from an install USB (Use the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool), and install away. For drivers, just install GeForce Experience and it automatically gets the right driver for your GPU (and enables Shadowplay and stuff). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

it;s all easy. i build mine about half a year ago, done the research myself and watched videos on how to do stuff. it's really easy, just be sure to download everything you need. which can take a long time

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ah. Updating the BIOS is not that hard, especially if you get a Gigabyte board with dualBIOS (so if you screw up you have a backup). And installing Windows is easy, you just boot from an install USB (Use the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool), and install away. For drivers, just install GeForce Experience and it automatically gets the right driver for your GPU (and enables Shadowplay and stuff). 

well i mean if i know which gpu i have , cant i just go to the site (asus in particular) and download the asus geforce settings for the gpu ?

Other than that, does any of these :

1. cpu
  2. ssd
  3. hdd
  4. ram
  5. case
  6. wifi adapter

need drivers to install?

And moreover, as for the wifi adapter (TP-LINK TL-WDN4800) do i just set it up (when connecting the parts with each other)

and it works ( after installing the windows) or do i need drivers for that as well?

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

it;s all easy. i build mine about half a year ago, done the research myself and watched videos on how to do stuff. it's really easy, just be sure to download everything you need. which can take a long time

You just took a big blob of fuckness and threw virgin spray on it... thnx! <3

you @Zando Bob too!

But answear the question above pls

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

well i mean if i know which gpu i have , cant i just go to the site (asus in particular) and download the asus geforce settings for the gpu ?

1. cpu
  2. ssd
  3. hdd
  4. ram
  5. case
  6. wifi adapter

need drivers to install?

And moreover, as for the wifi adapter (TP-LINK TL-WDN4800) do i just set it up (when connecting the parts with each other)

and it works ( after installing the windows) or do i need drivers for that as well?

Windows installs all the drivers, the GPU ones are the only ones you need to replace (get them from the Nvidia site), and maybe the wifi ones if you have problems. There are no case drivers AFAIK. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Windows installs all the drivers, the GPU ones are the only ones you need to replace (get them from the Nvidia site), and maybe the wifi ones if you have problems. There are no case drivers AFAIK. 

allrighty thnx! <3

8 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

1. cpu
  2. ssd
  3. hdd
  4. ram
  5. case
  6. wifi adapter

need drivers to install?

In most situations once you have the pc built you start the OS installation and the hardware drivers and updates are pretty automatic.

In some cases you will have to find specific drivers for hardware but this is not so common.

Windows pretty much does this for you.

If you have issues with the installation just ask for help.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

5. case

need drivers to install

...Yes... case drivers.  It's critical to have the correct drivers for your case installed or the case might corrupt the the aluminum.  o.O

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

...Yes... case drivers.  It's critical to have the correct drivers for your case installed or the case might corrupt the the aluminum.  o.O

what if it has rbg u dumbass...

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

you know... just because i dont know this information doesnt mean im stupid.

OFC you want to make fun which i would and do too but im just defending my self now in a reasonable radical manly high tall man way... Ghandi said: we all started somewhere when it comes to computers

no kidding search it up

ghandi.jpg

lets keep the conversation civil please ....

RGB need no drivers, your mobo or RGB controller will have those already, unless you plan to use software control then that a bit different. Download the correct software and follow instructions.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

you know... just because i dont know this information doesnt mean im stupid.

OFC you want to make fun which i would and do too but im just defending my self now in a reasonable radical manly high tall man way... Ghandi said: we all started somewhere when it comes to computers

no kidding search it up

He was being sarcastic, thing is there is a lot of it here so you will need to get used to it from any tech forum.

Do not take it personally.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

just so you know. everyone likes to download gpu drivers from nvidia themselves, as they always have the most up to date version for your gpu. sites from the manufacturers always have an older version because they dont update the gpu driver on their sites

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Just now, Glennieboyyy007 said:

just so you know. everyone likes to download gpu drivers from nvidia themselves, as they always have the most up to date version for your gpu. sites from the manufacturers always have an older version because they dont update the gpu driver on their sites

ok, ill get the drivers from nvidia it self then , tyyy

22 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

21 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

ok, ill get the drivers from nvidia it self then , tyyy

@Glennieboyyy007 is correct but may I suggest one additional thing first? let the driver updates through windows do its thing first to get you going then after all is done with the auto updates and driver search and install then go to NVidia's website;

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us 

Select the correct driver by selecting your GPU and OS and then make sure to do a Clean installation of the GPU Drivers.

All should be good after that.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

@Glennieboyyy007 is correct but may I suggest one additional thing first? let the driver updates through windows do its thing first to get you going then after all is done with the auto updates and driver search and install then go to NVidia's website;

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us 

Select the correct driver by selecting your GPU and OS and then make sure to do a Clean installation of the GPU Drivers.

All should be good after that.

so, the pc will work with windows as it would any pc but have a non working gpu, i go to google search nvidia download the drivers with no usb? 

1 hour ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

1. cpu
  2. ssd
  3. hdd
  4. ram
  5. case
  6. wifi adapter

need drivers to install?

1 hour ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

A lot of those things will have software packages available on the vendors websites, but they're not typically *required* or even recommended for the product to work. For example, TP Link probably has a "bloatware" WiFi control app for their adapter that just does the same thing Windows WiFi settings so just less integrated with the OS. Your motherboard manufacturer probably has some "bloatware" config software for random stuff that's kinda associated with their motherboard maybe?

If you have RGB components, a closed loop cooler, fan controller, USB sound card, or certain other things it may be worth installing drivers but usually it either makes sense (how do you tune RGB or fan speeds without software?) or Windows yells at you (Windows prompted me to get drivers for my Soundblaster x7).

You may need drivers that aren't available through Windows Update for certain things on your motherboard to work (example, a 3rd party USB 3.1 controller) but usually Windows will either yell at you or show the device with a yellow warning in the device manager.

If you want some help with figuring out whether you actually need anything to take full advantage of a component you can always feel free to ask. The general rule of thumb is try without any downloaded stuff, and if it doesn't work or is missing features then only download the stuff you absolutely need. A lot of the other stuff is just bloat.

5 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

so, the pc will work with windows as it would any pc but have a non working gpu, i go to google search nvidia download the drivers with no usb? 

Your GPU will work fine with the default drivers, you just wont have some of the fancy abilities.

After everything is done installing go to the NVidia website Iinked above in my previous comment and download the proper drivers so you can take full advantage of the gpu abilities.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

34 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Just think on the bright side, in 188 years you won't care because you'll be dead.

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Your GPU will work fine with the default drivers, you just wont have some of the fancy abilities.

After everything is done installing go to the NVidia website Iinked above in my previous comment and download the proper drivers so you can take full advantage of the gpu abilities.

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

A lot of those things will have software packages available on the vendors websites, but they're not typically *required* or even recommended for the product to work. For example, TP Link probably has a "bloatware" WiFi control app for their adapter that just does the same thing Windows WiFi settings so just less integrated with the OS. Your motherboard manufacturer probably has some "bloatware" config software for random stuff that's kinda associated with their motherboard maybe?

If you have RGB components, a closed loop cooler, fan controller, USB sound card, or certain other things it may be worth installing drivers but usually it either makes sense (how do you tune RGB or fan speeds without software?) or Windows yells at you (Windows prompted me to get drivers for my Soundblaster x7).

You may need drivers that aren't available through Windows Update for certain things on your motherboard to work (example, a 3rd party USB 3.1 controller) but usually Windows will either yell at you or show the device with a yellow warning in the device manager.

If you want some help with figuring out whether you actually need anything to take full advantage of a component you can always feel free to ask. The general rule of thumb is try without any downloaded stuff, and if it doesn't work or is missing features then only download the stuff you absolutely need. A lot of the other stuff is just bloat.

my gpu is rgb , will nvidia take care of this or should i go over to asus's site? (asus rog strix 1070)

Just now, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

my gpu is rgb , will nvidia take care of this or should i go over to asus's site? (asus rog strix 1070)

The RGB is going to be handled by different software than the drivers.

Always grab graphics drivers from either Windows Update or the chipset makers site if you can.

For the RGB you'll probably need the Asus Aura Sync software from their site.