getting started with bitcoin

just as a fun project to see how old hardware deals with bitcoin mining i assembled a couple of computers with older hardware i had lying around my house and was wondering how to start. i know i should find a mining pool but i dont know which one to join and the internet so far has been insanely biased. Also how i understand it is the to bitcoin mine with a computer you install a bitcoin mining operating system. is this true? thank you!

not profitable mining bitcoin at all (using computer hardware) 

think you're thinking of ETH, most things below a GTX 770 or so will get you under 50 cents a day,  so.. CPU mining on my 3770k gives me 25 cents (4.4ghz, but am using nicehash)

pretty sure you can still bitcoin mine on windows

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

not profitable mining bitcoin at all (using computer hardware) 

think you're thinking of ETH, most things below a GTX 770 or so will get you under 50 cents a day,  so.. CPU mining on my 3770k gives me 25 cents (4.4ghz, but am using nicehash)

pretty sure you can still bitcoin mine on windows

lol i never said it was practical i even said those words exactly and said "fun project" idk what coin to mine xD what mining pool should i use? also do multiple mining currencies work on one pool? 

Just now, Legolessed said:

lol i never said it was practical i even said those words exactly and said "fun project" idk what coin to mine xD what mining pool should i use? also do multiple mining currencies work on one pool? 

have fun throwing money away lol

AMD or nvidia cards? nvidia cards should go zcash, AMD higher tier (290+) should go eth, lower tier should go zcash, 

no you cannot use a zcash pool to mine eth or a eth pool to mine zcash, you need to use pool x with currency x (there might be multiple pools with different currencies supported with the same pool name/branding)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The increased power bill for less than couch change doesn't seem all too fun to me.

Just now, Mooshi said:

The increased power bill for less than couch change doesn't seem all too fun to me.

i never said for long. i just wanted to play around with it. also electricity is dirt cheap where i live

24 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

31 minutes ago, themctipers said:

have fun throwing money away lol

AMD or nvidia cards? nvidia cards should go zcash, AMD higher tier (290+) should go eth, lower tier should go zcash, 

no you cannot use a zcash pool to mine eth or a eth pool to mine zcash, you need to use pool x with currency x (there might be multiple pools with different currencies supported with the same pool name/branding)

ok fine. then what about my laptop and main computer. i have a dell e6430 laptop and a desktop with a xeon 1220 3.4ghz quad core cpu paired with 10gb of ram and a gtx 760 2gb. 

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

ok fine. then what about my laptop and main computer. i have a dell e6430 laptop and a desktop with a xeon 1220 3.4ghz quad core cpu paired with 10gb of ram and a gtx 760 2gb. 

760 makes me $0.24 cents a day. 

Xeon night make you $0.20 cents a day

laptop will give you maybe $0.10 cents a day..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

760 makes me $0.24 cents a day. 

Xeon night make you $0.20 cents a day

laptop will give you maybe $0.10 cents a day..

ok. so mine zcash on my desktop? its already on 24/7 on tasks that use maybe 2% cpu and gpu load and during the day it gets loaded but during the night i could mine with it. it is running linux though. can i mine on ubuntu?

ok. so mine zcash on my desktop? its already on 24/7 on tasks that use maybe 2% cpu and gpu load and during the day it gets loaded but during the night i could mine with it. it is running linux though. can i mine on ubuntu?

cpu = i dont know, i use nicehash and am basic

gpu = yeah, zcash has a thing for linux

mining on windows makes the OS unusuably slow. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

cpu = i dont know, i use nicehash and am basic

gpu = yeah, zcash has a thing for linux

mining on windows makes the OS unusuably slow. 

do you know what the "thing" for linux is called? thank you so much!

do you know what the "thing" for linux is called? thank you so much!

.. i googled it and found something:

https://github.com/mbevand/silentarmy 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

15 hours ago, themctipers said:

.. i googled it and found something:

https://github.com/mbevand/silentarmy 

Ok. I found this thing called miner gate and it's been working really well. But then I decided to add an r7 250 to my.desktop and I still am running at about 500 h/s. It's like the r7 250 isn't there.