HDD constantly on 100% load

Modiset

My HDD seems to regularly go up to 100% and stay there for quite some good time, because of that my pc becomes almost unusable because how slow it becomes, it happens a little too much and it worrys me if i have bought a faulty HDD, picture is inluded!

CaptureNSM.PNG

This is just windows trying to install some stuff in the background. Leave it for a few hours and it should go away.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

This is just windows trying to install some stuff in the background. Leave it for a few hours and it should go away.

but it happens everyday and its becoming really annoying, it never happened on my laptop before thats why im asking.

What @Enderman said. If you want to expedite the process search "check for windows updates" and let it do it's thing without trying to do other processes as well.

Just now, Modiset said:

but it happens everyday and its becoming really annoying, it never happened on my laptop before thats why im asking.

What version of windows are you running? 1507? 1511? 1607? 1703?

Just now, NinJake said:

What @Enderman said. If you want to expedite the process search "check for windows updates" and let it do it's thing without trying to do other processes as well.

does this happen to you guys too or should i do something about my memory and maybe get an ssd?

9 minutes ago, Modiset said:

It sounds like something is wrong with your OS then.

You may want to try clean installing windows, that will fix it.

You probably have this issue because you didn't clean install windows when you got the pc, or you upgraded from 7/8 to windows 10 or something like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, NinJake said:

What version of windows are you running? 1507? 1511? 1607? 1703?

windows? as far as windows versions go i am using windows 10 pro

Just now, Enderman said:

It sounds like something is wrong with your OS then.

You may want to try clean installing windows, that will fix it.

You probably have this issue because you didn't clean install windows when you got the laptop, or you upgraded from 7/8 to windows 10 or something like that.

i am using an unactivated version of windows on my pc, my laptop had full version

Just now, Modiset said:

does this happen to you guys too or should i do something about my memory and maybe get an ssd?

It does happen, you will be affected more on a HDD as they can't do as many reads/writes as a SSD however depending what your bandwidth is, that could be a limiting factor as well. If you have 100MB download speed it will be 10 times faster than a 10MB download.

1 minute ago, Modiset said:

windows? as far as windows versions go i am using windows 10 pro

No, it's your windows version. It should be one of the numbers I mentioned. If you are on any of the lower ones, you definitely have some "major" updating to do.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

It does happen, you will be affected more on a HDD as they can't do as many reads/writes as a SSD however depending what your bandwidth is, that could be a limiting factor as well. If you have 100MB download speed it will be 10 times faster than a 10MB download.

No, it's your windows version. It should be one of the numbers I mentioned. If you are on any of the lower ones, you definitely have some "major" updating to do.

it says im using this version 10.0.15063 Build 15063 which is unactivated

it says im using this version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Hmmm that should be the latest "creators update". I guess just wait it out and see what happens until it stops the 100% usage, but if it returns that often I would first try a clean re-installation of windows, or maybe it's time you get a SSD :) (Keep the drive for other storage however)

it says im using this version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

I am using Windows 7 and my HHD does that too, so i think there is some problems with your HDD,

I know that it sucks.

2 minutes ago, Modiset said:

it says im using this version 10.0.15063 Build 15063 which is unactivated

You should do a clean install...

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Spoiler

Just now, NinJake said:

Hmmm that should be the latest "creators update". I guess just wait it out and see what happens until it stops the 100% usage, but if it returns that often I would first try a clean re-installation of windows, or maybe it's time you get a SSD :) (Keep the drive for other storage however)

this happens everday, but ill get an ssd too because its 2018 almost

this happens everday, but ill get an ssd too because its 2018 almost

Maybe you are right!

P.S I should do that too! :D:D:D 

how much RAM do you have, and how much is used?

Sounds like my fathers old PC, when it had to little RAM, and it used the HDD as additional RAM. It then was working overtime all the time.

When I put more RAM in, it worked as it would.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Just now, _SAITAMA_ said:

Maybe you are right!

P.S I should do that too! :D:D:D 

yeah, probably the best option anyway

Just now, AndersT2 said:

how much RAM do you have, and how much is used?

Sounds like my fathers old PC, when it had to little RAM, and it used the HDD as additional RAM. It then was working overtime all the time.

When I put more RAM in, it worked as it would.

I have 8gb ram, a single stick, im planning to upgrade to 16gb in the near future, but the problem still seems to be in my HDD because the HDD light infront of my pc is frozen lit up and it wont go away. And i just built my pc 2 months ago

EDIT: the light turned to blinking again so it finished doing something, what was freezing it

2 minutes ago, Modiset said:

I have 8gb ram, a single stick, im planning to upgrade to 16gb in the near future, but the problem still seems to be in my HDD because the HDD light infront of my pc is frozen lit up and it wont go away. And i just built my pc 2 months ago

EDIT: the light turned to blinking again so it finished doing something, what was freezing it

But how much RAM is in use? If it's around 8 GB, it will start using the HDD as extra RAM,as it's alocated an amount by windows to do so.

EDIT: Upgrading to a SSD might not help, and it might just ware out the SSD to quickly.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Just now, Modiset said:

I have 6 gigs of ram and it's using about 2-3 gigs at normal. It's probably HDD

10 minutes ago, AndersT2 said:

But how much RAM is in use? If it's around 8 GB, it will start using the HDD as extra RAM,as it's alocated an amount by windows to do so.

i hope that picture awnsers your question, and i turned some paging option off for PLAYERUNKNOW's BATTLEGROUNDS to run better. And also why is only 3,9GB available?

mälu.PNG

6 minutes ago, Modiset said:

i hope that picture awnsers your question, and i turned some paging option off for PLAYERUNKNOW's BATTLEGROUNDS to run better.

mälu.PNG

It uses about 50%, which mine seems to be doing too. So it seems like it's normal usage, so it might be your HDD that the problem after all.

You could try to restart you PC, and start the task manager, and try to figure out when the HDD starts working overtime. It could be as others have said, that it's Windows doing background stuff. Have you turned off the "feature" where your PC is used to deliver Windows 10 to other users?

13 hours ago, AndersT2 said:

It uses about 50%, which mine seems to be doing too. So it seems like it's normal usage, so it might be your HDD that the problem after all.

You could try to restart you PC, and start the task manager, and try to figure out when the HDD starts working overtime. It could be as others have said, that it's Windows doing background stuff. Have you turned off the "feature" where your PC is used to deliver Windows 10 to other users?

i noticed that i starts to do that when superfetch suddenly starts overworking, but i dont know if i should disable it as i dont know what it would do to my pc.