Keyboard spillage clean up [HAZMAT]

Lord Nicoll

I done fucked up, this time in epic fashion. Now this keyboard could easily be dead already, a Razer 2014 Black Widow with the lovely clicky green switches razer ripped off then changed slightly. I spilled over 1 litre of a solution of maybe about 20% sulphuric acid and copper sulphate. Some of this went all over my desk, a lot when in the floor but a small amount went straight into the keyboard. Now this solution right now can't disolve copper for shit for more than about 2 seconds, it exhausted its supply of hydrogen peroxide, so it can't eat for long, but the copper in a keyboard is thin, if it got into a switch, this solution will copper plate ANY bare steel instantly, and remove any other layers. Other than being massive waste of a lot of chemicals (the acid was 80% and there was over 600 ml of hydrogen peroxide in this jar, about 500ml stayed in and 1000ml spilled)

First thing I did was disconnect the keyboard. I would have loved to use alcohol for this next step but getting the solution out fast was more important, I washed it for 5 minutes with water. Now its drip drying and I just finished washing the key caps. Should I use de-ionised water now or just leave to dry a bit more. I plan to now take it a part soon and manually dry and inspect it, got any ideas of other crap that needs to be done other than not do really dangerous chemisty beside my PC? There was like 3g of disovlved copper too, RIP nice blue stuff.

Yours faithfully

i would give it a wash with some de ionised and demineralised water(battery water at the local gas station, cheap AF) and then let it dry again. also RIP chemicals, they aint cheap

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Something i would personally do if i had the stuff was inspect the traces manually by a multimeter on continuity setting and inspect all the switches in the same way, if it passes i would leave it in current state, give it an alcohol bath for good measure and let it dry completely before running above tests. If it passes u havent fucked up anything more then the chemicals, if it fails its probably done for.

Sorry about my bad english, this is not my native language at all.

Well I have shit tons of de-ionised water and distalled water and the means to make both. I have it appart now, and there is no solder or copper damage on the PCB part at least. Lot of watee though, I will probably bake it or drive the mositure out and see if there is any residue, so far it all works, I might add some LEDs, the PCB also has the pads for the LEDs

Yours faithfully

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would give it a wash with some de ionised and demineralised water(battery water at the local gas station, cheap AF) and then let it dry again. also RIP chemicals, they aint cheap

I just dried it off and so far so working (well at least for the visual inspection)

Nice construction and the names of the designer in he mould was a nice touch

Yours faithfully

22 minutes ago, Angelus_Mortis said:

Something i would personally do if i had the stuff was inspect the traces manually by a multimeter on continuity setting and inspect all the switches in the same way, if it passes i would leave it in current state, give it an alcohol bath for good measure and let it dry completely before running above tests. If it passes u havent fucked up anything more then the chemicals, if it fails its probably done for.

Sorry about my bad english, this is not my native language at all.

So far that is what I have none, no shors until te switch is pressed. The alcohol bath seems to be not needed there isn't any residue but the board isn't 100% dry and this 2 KW heat gun would desolder all the switches and melt them if I tried to dry it for much  longer with it haha. I might be lucky

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I just dried it off and so far so working (well at least for the visual inspection)

Nice construction and the names of the designer in he mould was a nice touch

yah just nice that they keyswitches are poo. but i hope this works fine for you. go "enjoy" the varying sound and keyfeel :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah just nice that they keyswitches are poo. but i hope this works fine for you. go "enjoy" the varying sound and keyfeel :P 

This one isn't bad, they all come from.the same batch luckily, however I did just fix two key switched that where broken from before, so "Razer Jonzz" should be slapped. I tend to smash the keys like the hulk anyways so it isn't like I notice if there is some variance.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

This one isn't bad, they all come from.the same batch luckily, however I did just fix two key switched that where broken from before, so "Razer Jonzz" should be slapped. I tend to smash the keys like the hulk anyways so it isn't like I notice if there is some variance.

what i have had a bigger problem with is sound form them. few tend to sound the same on the boards i have tried. spring noise and click are always off. that combined with the shitty key feel to beginwith IMO and the incosistant keyfeel makes me dispise Razer keyboards(that use Razer switches atleast, the old cherry ones can be ok)

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what i have had a bigger problem with is sound form them. few tend to sound the same on the boards i have tried. spring noise and click are always off. that combined with the shitty key feel to beginwith IMO and the incosistant keyfeel makes me dispise Razer keyboards(that use Razer switches atleast, the old cherry ones can be ok)

I found some sound different due to how the board is screwed and assembled, some are mounted more tightly, I think that that what really makes it sound different, the ones around the edge are held tight but there are no screws in the middle what so ever.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I found some sound different due to how the board is screwed and assembled, some are mounted more tightly, I think that that what really makes it sound different, the ones around the edge are held tight but there are no screws in the middle what so ever.

well either way its not a problem i have found on anything but cheap keyboards and Razer keyboards but i am by no means an expert, i still recomend people buy the old K70 lol(because the new keyfont is trash)

Builds:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well either way its not a problem i have found on anything but cheap keyboards and Razer keyboards but i am by no means an expert, i still recomend people buy the old K70 lol(because the new keyfont is trash)

Sweet, it still works fine yay. Once it has either blue cherry keys or is clicky I don't care, it wasn't because I liked Razer I got this one, it was because it was all clicky and shit

Yours faithfully