Android 8.0 (OREO) REVIEW AND UPDATE PROCESS

After updating to Android 8.0 on launch yesterday, I've gone through the different features and I'm here to explain the ones that are, in my opinion, the most important.

Listed from most important to least.

TL;DR The update process can be difficult(And risky) for some, giving you only minor updates with battery management being the only important one. Bottom line, if you want to be that guy who takes full advantage of owning a Nexus/Pixel with an earlier OS update schedule then update to it and you won't be(terribly) disappointed.

Here is an extensive "How To" update guide.

WARNING: Before you update, if you're not familiar with image flashing or unlocking the bootloader read my step by step guide below. It's not a simple system update(as you're probably aware) and you'll really have to understand how to navigate with CMD prompt to accomplish the update.  Here's a very brief rundown of what you need to do to unlock the bootloader and update(DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I AM NOT AT FAULT IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE),

Googles update guide hasn't been changed in a while so some of their instructions are incorrect. This is how I updated my phone,

Android 8 update files: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/download.html

Download the SDK platform tools from google when you go to get the system image

SDK platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Unzip it to the desktop.

Open CMD prompt and type cd desktop

Press enter, now you're in the desktop.

Now type platform-tools (This is the name of the SDK platform tools file after the unzip)

Press enter and now you're in the platform-tools folder

Now turn your pixel off, then hold the volume down button and then the power button simultaneously to launch into fastboot, plug it into the computer.

Now type fastboot devices (This will tell you if your device is detected)

Press enter and your device should pop up, it'll say something like "FA6982894" as the device name

Now type fastboot flashing unlock

Press enter, go to your phone and use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to "yes" then press the power button to select "yes". Now the bootloader is unlocked.

To update, download the Android 8.0 update from googles site for your phone, unzip it to the desktop. Then, copy and paste everything from the platform-tools folder into the sailfish android 8.0 folder

To go back to the desktop type cd.. (in the CMD prompt)

Here's the tricky part, check the name of your Android 8.0 file, their names are all different. For instance, my file name was sailfish-opr6.170623.011 So,

Type cd [Name of your Android 8.0 file]

Press enter and now you're in the update file,

Finally, ensure your phone is plugged into the computer and type flash-all

Press enter and do NOT touch the phone whatsoever. It took me about 5 minutes, in total, for the update to finish. Don't unplug it under any circumstances.

Now that it's updated you can lock the bootloader using the same steps you used to unlock it, but this time you'll want to type flashing lock instead of flashing unlock.

Below are, in my opinion, the most important updates and the ones I'll notice most.

1.  Battery management. I'm using a pixel phone and as everyone knows, it doesn't have the best battery life (3 hours screen on with everything cranked, background processes etc.).  Well, with Android 8.0 the new battery management is actually quite good!  As we speak, my phone has been sitting on my desk at 18% full brightness with Discord, Instagram, YouTube, Chrome, Hangouts, and John GBA emulator running in the background.  The battery hasn't budged from 18% for, what's been, 13 minutes. While my testing isn't scientific, and you can say "Gee, that's not very impactful", you will notice the difference over the course of a day. It really sips the battery and prevents apps from going too crazy in the background, I really did notice this yesterday when I tried to run the battery down.

2. UI.  The UI changes are minor but address some of my pet peeves from Android Nougat(7.0).  When you go into your app tray, instead of the buttons remaining white, thus blending in and looking unpolished, they turn black which is a nice touch. A double tap on the screen brings up the time in a smaller font and shows the app icons that have a notification. I find this to be the most important because I am concerned with privacy, so instead of it just showing what the notification is, say a text, it only shows the icon on a double tap which I really appreciate.  Another nice touch is when you're playing music and open the notif tray, the music player will match the color theme of the album. For instance, if I'm playing a song off of Kendrick Lamar's "DAMN." album, the background of the Spotify app in the notif tray is a blackish brown and the buttons are a pastel red.  This doesn't work with Pandora, perhaps there is future integration for it but at the moment there's none. 

3. Apps/Accessibility.  When you long press on, pretty much, any application you can open app info or quick shortcuts. With Instagram, if you long press it brings up an option to open app info, while not at all useful, I'm expecting more options to be available. The settings are much less "intimidating" as one reviewer has stated. They're, subjectively, easier to navigate with everything being in it's own category now having substantially less options plastered all over the landing page of settings.  Also, it's worth noting that there will be notification dots on your respective apps displaying shortcuts which is going to be one of those things you'll have to train yourself to use to the point where it actually becomes more efficient instead of opening the app. I liken the dots to using CMD prompt over file explorer, once you learn to use it extensively and get past the point of training your brain it becomes more efficient in some areas. 

4. Bluetooth.  This one many people won't appreciate but it's one of my personal favorites. You can, FINALLY, change Bluetooth CODEC to several different standards, SBC, AAC, aptX, aptxHD, LDAC(sony) etc.  Personally, I'll be using LDAC because I use sony wireless devices (i.e. SRS XB3) but your mileage will vary.  Also available, are the options to change the sample rate, bits per sample, channel mode and playback quality.  All of these will be useful in case you have a spotty BT connection, have audio difficulties or really want to make the most of your experience. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Good detail. I can't update for about another 8 months on my s7 due to cellular company reasons 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

9 hours ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Good detail. I can't update for about another 8 months on my s7 due to cellular company reasons 

You need them to unlock it I suppose? Cellular companies can be a real bitch about that kinda thing. Also, take note, it's only being released to Google devices. 

Edited because I sounded ridiculous, I must've been tired when I wrote that...

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

I'm assuming there isn't an OTA update for most carriers right now, is there?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

4 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

I'm assuming there isn't an OTA update for most carriers right now, is there?

There are no OTA updates atm. You have to flash it.

The Louvre