Slow internet speed & high ping on new pc/build but stable and working on old pc

Amenadiel
Go to solution Solved by captain_to_fire,
2 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

Sadly, fiber plan is currently not available in our area :( I agree, their support is most shittiest ever!

While fiber is more stable and has higher bandwidth, it's also more fragile than DSL. Unlike the copper used in DSL which can be bent, handling fiber optic cables is requires more delicate touch since the glass inside easily breaks if it's bent. That's why you simply can't relocate a fiber cable around the house unlike DSL. But that's a small sacrifice in exchange of stable and symmetrically fast connection. 

IMG_5752.PNG.4b069dd52d485b24e0c566bcf605f040.PNG

3 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

Btw, i just found the source of this issue. It seems that windows is still updating even if i already paused it. I tried disabling the windows update through services and my ping & internet speed goes back to normal. Guess i just have to disable it from now on and just enable it each week for updates :(

That's a dick move from Microsoft to be honest. If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can delay updates: 

IMG_5715.thumb.PNG.2112b09ef90a4bab8f3153c9269ca51b.PNG

This is so frustrating.

I just installed windows 10 and everything including latest drivers for my new pc. However, when i was downloading the latest drivers i noticed the download is taking too long so i decided to take a speedtest but when i tried, the website won't even load keeps saying "socket error when uploading blah blah", something like that. Then i tried to ping google.com -t and noticed that my ping is 800-2k.  

My normal internet speed is 3Mbps (i know it's slow but it is the average speed on my country, PH) so i should get atleast 200KB/sec - 300KB/sec however i only get 5-20KB/sec.

So i tried to put back my internet cable to my old pc, to check if the speed is really slow. I plugged it back to my old pc and run a speedtest but the speedtest shows that there is NO problem with my internet, and the speed is normal ( 3mbps ). I also ping on cmd and i get a good result & my normal/average 82ping.

Screenshots: 

I have downloaded & installed the latest lan driver but it still the same. Does anyone experience this kind of issue?

Here's my new PC/Build specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
  • Gigabyte ab350-gaming 3
  • 16Gb (2x8GB) G.Skill Flare X
  • Zotac 8gb GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme
  • 265GB SSD - WD
  • 1TB SSD - WD
  • CRYORIG H7

It's breaking my mind, don't know what to do now. Maybe some of you know how to fix it or have any clue. I'd appreciate anything you could say about it. Thanks

10 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

My normal internet speed is 3Mbps (i know it's slow but it is the average speed on my country, PH) so i should get atleast 200KB/sec - 300KB/sec however i only get 5-20KB/sec.

What's your ISP? I'm from PH too. Have you tried flushing your DNS? Open Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns". 

If that doesn't solve it, open Command Prompt again and type "nslookup website[dot]com". Example is "nslookup youtube.com". If it shows you an error, it means your ISP's DNS is having problems. Try changing your DNS settings to Google DNS or OpenDNS. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Set up a network share on one of the computers and see what your transfer speeds are from each machine. Sounds like there might be something off with the one machine. If you're on wireless, check where the antenna is on your new machine and see if there's something causing issues with it's position. 

31 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What's your ISP? I'm from PH too. Have you tried flushing your DNS? Open Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns". 

If that doesn't solve it, open Command Prompt again and type "nslookup website[dot]com". Example is "nslookup youtube.com". If it shows you an error, it means your ISP's DNS is having problems. Try changing your DNS settings to Google DNS or OpenDNS. 

Im using PLDT. Yes i did. I tried the nslookup and it returns an error on my new pc, BUT it doesn't on this old pc so it's really confusing. I tried changing dns to google's but it doesn't work as well. I also tried pausing the windows updates but still my ping is terribly high 900-2k 

21 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Set up a network share on one of the computers and see what your transfer speeds are from each machine. Sounds like there might be something off with the one machine. If you're on wireless, check where the antenna is on your new machine and see if there's something causing issues with it's position. 

Im using cable not wifi and i tried turning off the wifi on modem already but nothing changes, the internet is still slow but the confusing part is, when i put back the ethernet cable to my old pc the internet is normal unlike what's happenign to my new pc. Im starting to lose my mind already.

5 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

Im using PLDT. Yes i did. I tried the nslookup and it returns an error on my new pc, BUT it doesn't on this old pc so it's really confusing. I tried changing dns to google's but it doesn't work as well. I also tried pausing the windows updates but still my ping is terribly high 900-2k 

I'm as well using PLDT but I use fiber 1899 plan. I think that high ping is because it's DSL. With DSL, the farther you are from PLDT's stations the slower it is. Also, the copper used in DSL is way more susceptible to electromagnetic interference and noise. Have you tried connecting it directly via ethernet instead of wifi? If the problem persists, it could be a driver issue. Don't even try calling 171 because they tend to give the dumbest answers. 

15 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm as well using PLDT but I use fiber 1899 plan. I think that high ping is because it's DSL. With DSL, the farther you are from PLDT's stations the slower it is. Also, the copper used in DSL is way more susceptible to electromagnetic interference and noise. Have you tried connecting it directly via ethernet instead of wifi? If the problem persists, it could be a driver issue. Don't even try calling 171 because they tend to give the dumbest answers. 

Sadly, fiber plan is currently not available in our area :( I agree, their support is most shittiest ever!
Btw, i just found the source of this issue. It seems that windows is still updating even if i already paused it. I tried disabling the windows update through services and my ping & internet speed goes back to normal. Guess i just have to disable it from now on and just enable it each week for updates :(

2 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

While fiber is more stable and has higher bandwidth, it's also more fragile than DSL. Unlike the copper used in DSL which can be bent, handling fiber optic cables is requires more delicate touch since the glass inside easily breaks if it's bent. That's why you simply can't relocate a fiber cable around the house unlike DSL. But that's a small sacrifice in exchange of stable and symmetrically fast connection. 

IMG_5752.PNG.4b069dd52d485b24e0c566bcf605f040.PNG

3 minutes ago, Amenadiel said:

That's a dick move from Microsoft to be honest. If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can delay updates: 

IMG_5715.thumb.PNG.2112b09ef90a4bab8f3153c9269ca51b.PNG

28 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

While to an extent this is true, it's not like it's some glass pipe that is rigid or something. You can wrap a fiberoptic cable around a finger and it would still work without any real issues and it wouldn't break the fibre inside it. There might be a bit of re-transmit while it was wrapped around your finger due to refraction things happening in the glass though. This is entirely off topic, I just wanted to correct a mis-understanding. 

1 minute ago, kerradeph said:

While to an extent this is true, it's not like it's some glass pipe that is rigid or something. You can wrap a fiberoptic cable around a finger and it would still work without any real issues and it wouldn't break the fibre inside it. There might be a bit of re-transmit while it was wrapped around your finger due to refraction things happening in the glass though. This is entirely off topic, I just wanted to correct a mis-understanding. 

I have FTTH and I experienced that fragility first hand. Because the technician who installed our fiber connection twisted the fiber optic cable too many times inside the ONT device, I lost my internet connection for three days and the repair guy told me that it's more fragile than copper. 

28 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I have FTTH and I experienced that fragility first hand. Because the technician who installed our fiber connection twisted the fiber optic cable too many times inside the ONT device, I lost my internet connection for three days and the repair guy told me that it's more fragile than copper. 

Wow, that tech just shouldn't be a tech then. Yes it's more fragile to copper, you can bend copper cables at basically a right angle. But it's pretty obvious when you're going to break fiber. 

17 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Wow, that tech just shouldn't be a tech then. Yes it's more fragile to copper, you can bend copper cables at basically a right angle. But it's pretty obvious when you're going to break fiber. 

I guess the guy who installed it is dumb then. 

I found out what exactly is causing the high ping and it was microsoft installing applications & games without asking my permission. This is my first time using windows 10 so really don't have clue about this. I have disabled it already tho through regedit and now everything's stable and i dont have to disable windows update anymore :D 

Thanks again guys for taking your time to help! Cheers!