build question

KevinH9

Don't get an i5. Get a Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 board, it's much better :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

• Some Intel Z170 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
  • It's exactly what it says, you would need another CPU to update the bios apparently, just get a new motherboard or change the processor. 

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Don't get an i5. Get a Ryzen 5 1600 with a B350 board, it's much better :D

I have had multiple responses about getting ryzen 5 but can it get me 60 fps on games like Rust and The Forest and BF1

100 series motherboards (Z170) were made before Kaby Lake CPU's were out (7th gen Intel CPU's, which you can recognize by the first number in it's model number) and thus are not always compatible out of the box with them.

A BIOS update may be required, but you can only do such an update with a compatible (6th gen usually) CPU.

Ask the store what kind of BIOS is on the board, sometimes it has a sticker on the board with the version number. Otherwise ask them what a BIOS update is (or ask about their return policy, because you could also just get some i3 6100, update the BIOS and return that.

Alternatively, you could also look at AMD's offering in the Ryzen 5 series. Double (or more) of the threads for the same prices as i5 4 core processors. Motherboards are a bit more than 35 bucks though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

You say that yet you have an i5. :P

Yup thats true its on the guys profile 

3 minutes ago, KevinH9 said:

it says there is incompatible parts with my motherboard and processor it says update BIOS

the board only cost me 35 cause i have a lot of instore and discounts!

Whats up Kevin ;). So the reason your getting that is because when Kabylake came out a driver update went out for most of the Z1 boards to be compatible with with them, as they were with Skylake originally. So theres a good chance that by now your motherboard has the driver update, but if it didn't you would have to use a Skylake CPU to get it to boot, then download the BIOS update to get it to work with Kabylake. I would also go AMD b350 1600 over i5.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

You say that yet you have an i5. :P

Yup thats true its on the guys profile 

An i5? lol, no

3 minutes ago, KevinH9 said:

I have had multiple responses about getting ryzen 5 but can it get me 60 fps on games like Rust and The Forest and BF1

amd-r5-bf1-benchmark.png

Idk about the other games though -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, KevinH9 said:

And like we talked about, the Ryzen 5 is more then capable of getting 60 FPS, its the GPU that would be the problem and a 1050ti won't cut it for all games.

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

An i5? lol, no

amd-r5-bf1-benchmark.png

Idk about the other games though -_-

Really? I swear i saw i5 on your profile, I must have forgotten about the 7 and just saw the "5" 820K part. Lol sorry.

35 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

And like we talked about, the Ryzen 5 is more then capable of getting 60 FPS, its the GPU that would be the problem and a 1050ti won't cut it for all games.

Then what gpu you never mentioned changing gpu in the private message on the website u said there wouldn't be bottleneckinv

Just now, KevinH9 said:

Then what gpu you never mentioned changing gpu in the private message on the website u said there wouldn't be bottleneckinv

Sorry for any confusion. Neither of those CPU's would be a problem, pick whichever you want. The Ryzen 5 is just a great value because of the extra cores it provides for the cost. However a 1050ti, which is a great budget card, isn't going to be able to push 60FPS at 1080p on all games. For that you would want a 1060 6gb or rx 580, which right now are hard things to come by. I think the CPU originally you were talking about bottlenecking would be a g4560 dual core, and we suggested getting at least a i5 or Ryzen 5.