Ryzen 3 + B350M Mortar Arctic

Go to solution Solved by MaxBeast4Z,

I was able to get everything working couple memory issues but it was difficult to solve you had to move the memory around. The board wasn't really the best the boot time is not the best because of the diagnostic LEDs it takes around 30 to 50 seconds to boot.

Let me tell you something though the CPU choice is excellent I just tested the Ryzen 3 1300X and it's amazing for how low price it is for what performance you can get I combined it with an RX 480 and I can stream I can play a lot of games at high resolution you did a very good choice to buy this CPU 8 gigs of RAM you should be totally fine with that and when you get the money go ahead and upgrade the video card.

I even have a livestream running the hardware https://www.twitch.tv/testbenchpc

6 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

updated bios and it fixed it, the cpu is running hot though

what is your cooler?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

what is your cooler?

turned up the fan and removed the pre applied paste for some arctic silver 5, brought the temp down from 52C to 44C with the stock wraith stealth cooler it came with. I've seen people overclocking with this cooler so it shouldn't be too hot at half speed on idle. is 44 idle safe or should I consider bringing it down, just seems warmer than other peoples

2 hours ago, Oddcesarr said:

turned up the fan and removed the pre applied paste for some arctic silver 5, brought the temp down from 52C to 44C with the stock wraith stealth cooler it came with. I've seen people overclocking with this cooler so it shouldn't be too hot at half speed on idle. is 44 idle safe or should I consider bringing it down, just seems warmer than other peoples

At which voltage are you running? Wraith Stealth isn't good for OC

8 hours ago, dave_k said:

At which voltage are you running? Wraith Stealth isn't good for OC

after the bios update it defaulted to like 1.336

8 minutes ago, Oddcesarr said:

after the bios update it defaulted to like 1.336

Defaulted ?

Use it then, get better cooling.

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Defaulted ?

Use it then, get better cooling.

yea i did not mess with any bit of the configuration other than updating to the latest bios, it went from 1.2 to 1.336 on its own. any decent air coolers you can recommend. ive heard of some good ones for about $30 USD but dont know exactly what to look for

Just now, Oddcesarr said:

yea i did not mess with any bit of the configuration other than updating to the latest bios, it went from 1.2 to 1.336 on its own. any decent air coolers you can recommend. ive heard of some good ones for about $30 USD but dont know exactly what to look for

I dunno, maybe check out BeQuiet Pure Wings

I was able to get everything working couple memory issues but it was difficult to solve you had to move the memory around. The board wasn't really the best the boot time is not the best because of the diagnostic LEDs it takes around 30 to 50 seconds to boot.

Let me tell you something though the CPU choice is excellent I just tested the Ryzen 3 1300X and it's amazing for how low price it is for what performance you can get I combined it with an RX 480 and I can stream I can play a lot of games at high resolution you did a very good choice to buy this CPU 8 gigs of RAM you should be totally fine with that and when you get the money go ahead and upgrade the video card.

I even have a livestream running the hardware https://www.twitch.tv/testbenchpc

36 minutes ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

I even have a livestream running the hardware right now https://www.twitch.tv/testbenchpc

Very impressive what you can get even on a budget these days. Also think it should be mentioned that you are very kind buying all this hardware just to help one dude. 

3 minutes ago, Frode said:

Very impressive what you can get even on a budget these days. Also think it should be mentioned that you are very kind buying all this hardware just to help one dude. 

oh I ain't done I'm buying all the X lineup of AMD ryzen CPUs
next CPU to buy will be 1500X, 1600X, 1700X, 1800X

4 minutes ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

oh I ain't done I'm buying all the X lineup of AMD ryzen CPUs
next CPU to buy will be 1500X, 1600X, 1700X, 1800X

Good luck making the VRMs of MSI B350s survive the 1700/1700x/1800x

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Good luck making the VRMs of MSI B350s survive the 1700/1700x/1800x

Not just that chipset

hDETV5h.jpg

got more coming

2 hours ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

Not just that chipset

hDETV5h.jpg

got more coming

Hey thanks for everything, my machine is up and running my favorite games at high settings 100fps, yea i wanna upgrade to faster ram and a better gpu somewhere down the line, probably a 1060 6gb since it starts to bottleneck with 1070

8 hours ago, MaxBeast4Z said:

Not just that chipset

hDETV5h.jpg

got more coming

Remember, dont put R7 on the mortar/B350M Gaming Pro

• 4 months later...

Perhaps someone can answer me a quick question regarding this mobo (MSI B350m Mortar Arctic).
I purchased the motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GB of DDR4 (G. Skil DDR4 -2400 PC4-19200) and a video card. My video card is running 3 days behind the rest of my order, I installed everything (except the video card) but can't get it to boot.
Does this board require an APU CPU to boot without the video card? I don't have another free PCIE video card at the moment.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, Pair said:

Perhaps someone can answer me a quick question regarding this mobo (MSI B350m Mortar Arctic).
I purchased the motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GB of DDR4 (G. Skil DDR4 -2400 PC4-19200) and a video card. My video card is running 3 days behind the rest of my order, I installed everything (except the video card) but can't get it to boot.
Does this board require an APU CPU to boot without the video card? I don't have another free PCIE video card at the moment.

All Ryzen CPU revision 1 do not have APU graphics on their chip so you cannot use the display outputs on the motherboard only Ryzen revision 2 will have this feature.

There will be a Ryzen refresh I just don't know when.

To answer your question you have no choice to put a video card in the 16 x lot of the motherboard.

• 3 weeks later...