Pc not showing anything on monitor

MeatFeastMan

So yesterday, my pc display went off when I was browsing. I have no idea why. When I clicked the power button, it didn't turn off. The pc was still on. So we took the power cable out, and the pc then went off. We put it back in, and it turned back on all okay. I got into windows 10 and for a minute or two it was okay. I saw a notification in the corner about windows defender and it talked about quarantining a threat called 'obfuscator'. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. When I searched it up, it said obfuscator was a Trojan virus or something along those lines. Then about 10 seconds afterwards, the display went black again. We turned it back on again, repeating the same steps as before. The pc didn't even give us enough time to get into windows this time. 

This morning, we tried again. It didn't work again, the same as before. The pc turns on, but no display. I've had the pc for about a month now. I should note that the mouse and keyboard work when it is turned on. Yesterday this was not the case and the mouse/keyboard would refuse to work. There's a few differences I noticed this morning. We tried taking out all the connectors on the motherboard and putting them back in. When we turned the pc back on, the motherboard light was green. Previously for the last month, it had always been orange/amber. 

Here's my specs if this helps:

AMD FX-9590

GTX 1050ti Strix OC

Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 R5

Corsair AX860i

Corsair Neutron XTi 960gb

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard

Corsair Katar Mouse

Until someone else chimes in, I'll take a crack at this.

First, usually you would need to hold the power button in for a few seconds to shut down the PC (depending on system settings). Pulling the power cord is ALWAYS a bad idea. It is simulating a power failure and unless you have an SSD there is a good chance of corrupting files or even damaging your HD.

As to the monitor shutting down, did you try a different monitor to make sure that was not the problem? Next, the video card may be shutting down due to thermals, check to see if the fan(s) are spinning when you power up the PC. Try to get into the BIOS before the PC attempts to boot to windows, that will put less strain on the video card and you will have a chance to see if the monitor still shuts down in a few minutes. Since your Motherboard does not have integrated graphics, try to find another graphics card to put in the machine to see if the problem goes away. Try the GTX 1050TI in a different machine to see if the same problems occurs.

Also, there could be a problem with the power suppy. If the graphics card is not getting proper power it could shutdown. Just because a PC turns on is not a guarantee that the power supply is funtioning properly.

It does not restart that means that the power supply is not the problem. Try going into the bios. If the screen still turns off then it is a hardware problem. If it isn't, then a simple windows installation will fix it.

Try going into the BIOS now. Tell the result here. And for the light part, it is a good indication. Since the color is changing that means that either the windows goes into sleep or just isn't working correctly.

For now, try the BIOS solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 7:15 PM, Lalit Kumar said:

It does not restart that means that the power supply is not the problem. Try going into the bios. If the screen still turns off then it is a hardware problem. If it isn't, then a simple windows installation will fix it.

Try going into the BIOS now. Tell the result here. And for the light part, it is a good indication. Since the color is changing that means that either the windows goes into sleep or just isn't working correctly.

For now, try the BIOS solution.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:52 AM, lifeofgold said:

Until someone else chimes in, I'll take a crack at this.

First, usually you would need to hold the power button in for a few seconds to shut down the PC (depending on system settings). Pulling the power cord is ALWAYS a bad idea. It is simulating a power failure and unless you have an SSD there is a good chance of corrupting files or even damaging your HD.

As to the monitor shutting down, did you try a different monitor to make sure that was not the problem? Next, the video card may be shutting down due to thermals, check to see if the fan(s) are spinning when you power up the PC. Try to get into the BIOS before the PC attempts to boot to windows, that will put less strain on the video card and you will have a chance to see if the monitor still shuts down in a few minutes. Since your Motherboard does not have integrated graphics, try to find another graphics card to put in the machine to see if the problem goes away. Try the GTX 1050TI in a different machine to see if the same problems occurs.

Also, there could be a problem with the power suppy. If the graphics card is not getting proper power it could shutdown. Just because a PC turns on is not a guarantee that the power supply is funtioning properly.

I fixed it a while back. All this just to find out that a cable wasn't in properly to the motherboard. We put it firmly back in and haven't had problems since.