ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

hulkoala
Go to solution Solved by Sinole,

it looks like a software issue man, i would not bother RMA and all of the trouble that comes with it yet. I use asus fan controller software " fan expert" on my computer, every once in a while all of my fans run at max rpm or they stop working all together which is scary. but as a soon as i reset my computer they go back to normal. I am sure mother board is fine it is just the stupid fan expert. i had no problem fora long while, If i had i would have moved to a new solution for fan curve. try connecting your GPU fan curve to a bug-less software.

I got this card since last year November from AmazonCA. I did not overclock it in anyway. Everything was fine until yesterday.

All I did yesterday was using Gforce experience to optimize ark survival evolved. Ever since I started to notice, one of the fans is not working properly when i play ark. It makes a lawn mower noise for about 10 seconds then stops and repeats. However, if after I close the game, it starts to work smoothly again. Tthe card temperature and fan speed seems normal (70 degree and 40% fan speed). 

I tried to revert the graphic change, it did not work. 

I took the card out and found out the malfunctioning fan was sort locked at higher speed. It gives some resistance at fast speed. However, after resting it for half an hour, it does not have the problem again.

Then I also did some testing with the firestorm and set the fan speed high and stuff. Everything went smoothly.

In the end, I did some GPU stress test and at around same GPU temperature 70 degree, one of the fan starts to having a seizure again.

I am thinking about getting it replaced from Amazon.

Update:

I reinstalled ark and everything went back to normal. Even the GPU stress test went normal too. I think what happened was Gforce experience kinda forced "freeze" tech in a wrong way. That's why I got the sharp break in one the fan at near 70 degree.

Update 2:

Apparently it is a common default for this card to have the noise and irregular fan movement. But you can just set the fan speed to 30% max and avoid the problem. Not the best option but can save you from some headache. 

Update 3:

30% fan speed is only a temp fix. I have found out that the temperature of the fan might have a connection with the malfunction. If the fan got heated long enough it will malfunction. That explains why the fan test was OK but the stress test went wrong. On the other hand, if you do not run any demanding games on it, this type of malfunction is less likely happen (if my guess is right). As a result, I have ordered a new card (evga 1080ti) and going to send it to RMA once the new card arrives. I guess I won't by any more video card from Zotac again.

Is it exposed?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

it looks like a software issue man, i would not bother RMA and all of the trouble that comes with it yet. I use asus fan controller software " fan expert" on my computer, every once in a while all of my fans run at max rpm or they stop working all together which is scary. but as a soon as i reset my computer they go back to normal. I am sure mother board is fine it is just the stupid fan expert. i had no problem fora long while, If i had i would have moved to a new solution for fan curve. try connecting your GPU fan curve to a bug-less software.

6 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Is it exposed?

Not really. Lawn mower is kinda exaggerated 

Just now, Sinole said:

You are right. I did more study. It might just be there "Freeze" tech thing. Just the break they put in is not super nice. If it get a lot worse. I will get it fixed when I am on my vacation. And get a new card then sell it afterwards