FPS drops on 6700k not overheating.

Tsundere_taichou
Go to solution Solved by bughtoo,
24 minutes ago, Tsundere_taichou said:

i recently traded out my fx9590 for a 6700k and now im dropping frames in league of legends on medium low settings, no problem in other games as far as i can tell as fallout 4 stays at a solid 60 on ultra(its probably capped but my monitor is only 60 fps anyway so i dont really care)

i have tried the following:i reinstalled the game, checking vsync,capping fps at different speeds,running as admin, checked the temps and i never hit over 50C, infact i barely hit 40.checked my drivers and they are all up to date.

operating system:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Specs:

Intel 6700k with an nzxt kraken x62

Msi z270-a pro

Hyperx fury ddr4 2133mhz 16gb

Palit geforce gtx 1070

Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 500GB

Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold 

The question:

i have my monitor plugged into the graphics card, is it possible that its still running on the integrated one, if so how can i tell? and if its not that what else should i try before i banish windows 10 back to hell where it belongs.

Note: i am not streaming or anything this is just from playing the game

try opening nvidia control panel->manage 3D settings->global settings->power management mode -> prefer maximum performance

make sure threaded optimisation is on Auto, and make sure that in program settings u dont have LoL with power management mode set to adaptive/power saving. 

i recently traded out my fx9590 for a 6700k and now im dropping frames in league of legends on medium low settings, no problem in other games as far as i can tell as fallout 4 stays at a solid 60 on ultra(its probably capped but my monitor is only 60 fps anyway so i dont really care)

i have tried the following:i reinstalled the game, checking vsync,capping fps at different speeds,running as admin, checked the temps and i never hit over 50C, infact i barely hit 40.checked my drivers and they are all up to date.

operating system:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Specs:

Msi z270-a pro

Palit geforce gtx 1070

The question:

i have my monitor plugged into the graphics card, is it possible that its still running on the integrated one, if so how can i tell? and if its not that what else should i try before i banish windows 10 back to hell where it belongs.

Possibly background software causing excess CPU usage. make sure you don't have anything open that might eat up CPU time.

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Possibly background software causing excess CPU usage. make sure you don't have anything open that might eat up CPU time.

i shut down pretty much everything except nvidia bloatware that refuses to stay down ,windows stuff and league, wierd thing was there were like 4 league of legends processes and even wierder:my cpu usage never exceeded 75% but still got drops.

2 minutes ago, Tsundere_taichou said:

i shut down pretty much everything except nvidia bloatware that refuses to stay down ,windows stuff and league, wierd thing was there were like 4 league of legends processes and even wierder:my cpu usage never exceeded 75% but still got drops.

The game might have been bugging out or something. I'm not too familiar with that game specifically so I can't really help with that specific issue.

24 minutes ago, Tsundere_taichou said:

operating system:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Specs:

Msi z270-a pro

Palit geforce gtx 1070

The question:

try opening nvidia control panel->manage 3D settings->global settings->power management mode -> prefer maximum performance

make sure threaded optimisation is on Auto, and make sure that in program settings u dont have LoL with power management mode set to adaptive/power saving. 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

6 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

ill try that thanks!

10 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

All that will likely do is give him a higher avg.maxfps but those drops will still happen............................................... if the GPU isn't the cause.

^Happens to this guy...and many others it seems..

Official See here - https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/209010626-Frame-Skipping-on-High-End-PCs

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3242701/gigabyte-gtx-1070-massive-fps-drops.html

^Using DisplayDriverUninstaller + Nvidia Driver Reinstall = Fix for this user.

Other people just UP the GPU usage load with higher resolutions...

I'd try DDU first and Reinstall Nvidia Drivers and suss out performance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

All that will likely do is give him a higher avg.maxfps but those drops will still happen............................................... if the GPU isn't the cause.

Official See here - https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/209010626-Frame-Skipping-on-High-End-PCs
Using DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller) + Reinstall of Drivers Fixed it for someone -
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3242701/gigabyte-gtx-1070-massive-fps-drops.html

Never had that problem, just helping him make sure he isnt using the integrated GPU, that setting does that.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

14 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

^Using DisplayDriverUninstaller + Nvidia Driver Reinstall = Fix for this user.

ok ill try that if i start lagging again but so far(im about 10 minutes into a custom game) the other fix is working, thanks

Just now, Tsundere_taichou said:

derp marked solved on the wrong one O.o

If you enabled "MAX performance' mode in Nvidia, make sure its for that one game only. Not a Global Setting :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If you enabled "MAX performance' mode in Nvidia, make sure its for that one game only. Not a Global Setting :)

ok, i will do that, why shouldn't it be on prefer maximum globally btw?

3 minutes ago, Tsundere_taichou said:

ok, i will do that, why shouldn't it be on prefer maximum globally btw?

Because your GPU will never EVER declock on idle to 300/150 but will stay at the 1000/3000 MHZ mark (or greater) creating more idle heat and power usages.

(Even Youtube decoding and all other various types of hardware acceleration will use your GPU, so higher clocks = noise/heat when you dont need it there)
There is ZERO reason for using it globally unless your application you use, calls for it, which IMO would be pretty specific as you DO have options for per-game basis with the 2nd tab in the control panel. :)