So the only way an SSD dies is...

AustinTheIntern
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

Through writes?

I mean that's the only cause?

writes are what wears on the SSD. as the flash memory is written and re-written.

eventually it degrades (like over-volting a CPU, they tends to slowly not perform).

but other drastic means make them inoperable/dies.

Through writes?

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Well if you set it on fire, it'd probably die as well.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

You never know.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Through writes?

Uhm, no.

It is, however, the most likely way for it to die.

It can short out, the circuit board could die, or otherwise fail just like any other piece of electronics, but since it has no moving parts, it's just not very likely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There are plenty of ways to kill a drive physically. I plugged in the SATA power cable wrong once and the drive caught on fire and is now completely broken. It was a crappy SSD, I'm not too upset.

Spoiler

Well two SSD's in our house died because of random power outages (our HTPC had messed up cables). So that is another way of killing them.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Through writes?

writes are what wears on the SSD. as the flash memory is written and re-written.

eventually it degrades (like over-volting a CPU, they tends to slowly not perform).

but other drastic means make them inoperable/dies.

Flash degrades over time it can die on its own but it will most likely die form writes. If you expect the SSD to last for 100 years in storage it won't.