When to stop using PSU?

ConnecTulsa

So, get this.

My desk has been smelling lately. I have three computers, 6 monitors, a switch, a router, and a bunch of other crap neatly hidden within my desk. I knew something was amiss, and finally figured out that the PSU in my main PC was not working correctly (although the random restarts should have made that obvious to me originally). I took the PSU out and shook it around, at which mount a mountain of dust fell onto my desk, and when I blew it out with an air compressor I was certain I had started another dust bowl. The PSU still kind of smells, but my PC is no longer restarting all the time. Should I continue using the PSU or stop and order a new one? 

P.S. I have insurance.

Dust tends to produce a particular smell when under heat while in larger clusters. Also, I would open up the unit to see if there are blown up capacitors. Though to be honest, I'd change the PSU entirely and not risk more damages or even death.

TBH I'd get a new PSU. And try to keep the dust out of it at least every 6 months

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just cracked it open, no blown capacitors to report. I wish I could hire someone to clean my stuff up :)

6 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

And try to keep the dust out of it at least every 6 months

Or you could do what I did.... overbuy on your PSU's wattage requirements on purpose (I have an HX1000i for a 6700k + 980ti). Since installing the unit nearly a year and a half ago its fan has never come on once..... no fan, no dust in the unit ;)

Just now, Zyndo said:

Or you could do what I did.... overbuy on your PSU's wattage requirements on purpose (I have an HX1000i for a 6700k + 980ti). Since installing the unit nearly a year and a half ago its fan has never come on once..... no fan, no dust in the unit ;)

Talk about overkill and energy waste a 1000 watt for a 6700k and a 980 ti heck 400 watts would cut it for that system 

I'd swap it for a new unit but it's probably just fine 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

1000 watt for a 6700k and a 980 ti heck 400 watts would cut it for that system 

Yes. the system draws about 400W under full load.

4 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Talk about overkill and energy waste

There is no energy waste. Please learn about how power supplies work in computers before you say nonsense like that. There is nothing about a high wattage PSU which inherently makes it use substantially more power. In fact, since its a platinum rated PSU and I paid attention to its power efficiency curve when I bought it, under a full gaming load it usually operates in the 91-92% efficiency range, which is pretty damn high for a PSU in any system.

Yeah, I think its all good. That smell has totally dissipated and I can run BF1 again. more than likely dust was getting overheated/torched and forcing a system shutdown under heavy loads.

you dont need a new PSU. All the components are still fine and dust was causing it to overheat.

The reason to overbuy wattage is to be able to handle your needs better. Lower thermals and better efficiency. Just because a PSU is 1KW doesnt mean it'd use 1KW, it'd use only as much as needed.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Yes. the system draws about 400W under full load.

There is no energy waste. Please learn about how power supplies work in computers before you say nonsense like that. There is nothing about a high wattage PSU which inherently makes it use substantially more power. In fact, since its a platinum rated PSU and I paid attention to its power efficiency curve when I bought it, under a full gaming load it usually operates in the 91-92% efficiency range, which is pretty damn high for a PSU in any system.

I meant that it's a waste to buy a huge power supply if your system only uses 400w I'm not saying it wastes more electricity 

1 minute ago, Gamerguy207 said:

I meant that it's a waste to buy a huge power supply if your system only uses 400w I'm not saying it wastes more electricity 

no?

1 hour ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Talk about overkill and energy waste a 1000 watt for a 6700k and a 980 ti heck 400 watts would cut it for that system 

I'm sure you can understand my confusion....

and if you mean a financial waste... the HX1000i has a 10 year warranty. can probably stretch its real world use to 15 years before it needs to be replaced. the cost savings of 90%+ energy efficiency will pay for itself in that timeframe no problem.

Just now, Zyndo said:

no?

I'm sure you can understand my confusion....

and if you mean a financial waste... the HX1000i has a 10 year warranty. can probably stretch its real world use to 15 years before it needs to be replaced. the cost savings of 90%+ energy efficiency will pay for itself in that timeframe no problem.

And I care how exactly?

8 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

And I care how exactly?

Just giving you some valid information so that you don't need to be spouting this nonsense in a future thread.... or at the very least now you know better enough to come to your own conclusions.

whether you wish to get all defensive about being incorrect about something or consider this a learning experience is entirely up to you. have a good day sir.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Just giving you some valid information so that you don't need to be spouting this nonsense in a future thread.... or at the very least now you know better enough to come to your own conclusions.

whether you wish to get all defensive about being incorrect about something or consider this a learning experience is entirely up to you. have a good day sir.

Yes sorry I'm one of those people that need to say something and if there wrong they get mad but I guess everyone's got a little of that in them xD

5 hours ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Yes sorry I'm one of those people that need to say something and if there wrong they get mad but I guess everyone's got a little of that in them xD

"They're", not "there".

Now you have a reason to be defensive.

55 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

"They're", not "there".

Now you have a reason to be defensive.

Lel 

21 hours ago, ConnecTulsa said:

The PSU still kind of smells, but my PC is no longer restarting all the time. Should I continue using the PSU or stop and order a new one? 

No, because it looks like +5VSB regulation is not up to spec and that's the reason why it's not starting no more...

Rule of the Thumb of PSU replacing:
If you make a big change (=replace the motherboard) and your PSU is a couple of years old, you should also replace the PSU. Because at that time, the PSU will be the oldest thing in your rig...

Case isn't an issue because the only things that could fail are the LEDs and Buttons....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"