Which to upgrade first?

Peteris

Hiya, 

I've decided I want to uograde something on my PC, I don't have enough money to upgrade the whole thing. 

The question is, which to upgrade first? 

My plan was:

Fx-6300 to r5 1600 or r7 360 to gtx 1060.

Motherboard doesn't support overclockint, so that's out of the question. 

I'd go gpu first, then cpu.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Gpu first, then CPU + motherboard and RAM seeing as you can't keep any of it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thought I should mention:

I mostly play CSGO, which is more CPU dependant and I render videos. 

But I'd also like to crank up graphics in games like GTA V. 

6 minutes ago, Peteris said:

Hiya, 

I've decided I want to uograde something on my PC, I don't have enough money to upgrade the whole thing. 

The question is, which to upgrade first? 

My plan was:

Fx-6300 to r5 1600 or r7 360 to gtx 1060.

Motherboard doesn't support overclockint, so that's out of the question. 

What is the time frame you plan on upgrading?  If it's within a few months I would do graphic card first.  Over a longer period I would do Cpu, motherboard, ram first and hope the graphics cards become available and prices stabilize.

I'll be the contrarian here: grab the R5 1600, a B350 board and 8GB of DDR4 (should be able to do all of the above for around $300-350). Sit and wait on the GPU, and you'll either find a new one on sale or a used ex-mining card dirty-ho cheap on eBay down the line. Given the prices of 6GB 1060s and the relative scarcity (still) of 580s, I'd stay clear of GPUs a little while longer.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

What is the time frame you plan on upgrading?  If it's within a few months I would do graphic card first.  Over a longer period I would do Cpu, motherboard, ram first and hope the graphics cards become available and prices stabilize.

I agree with this one. Especially since you can't just upgrade CPU, it'd basically be a full rebuild at that point.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'll be the contrarian here: grab the R5 1600, a B350 board and 8GB of DDR4 (should be able to do all of the above for around $300-350). Sit and wait on the GPU, and you'll either find a new one on sale or a used ex-mining card dirty-ho cheap on eBay down the line. Given the prices of 6GB 1060s and the relative scarcity (still) of 580s, I'd stay clear of GPUs a little while longer.

Not really a good choice when Coffee lake is pretty close. It's better to hold off on CPUs until we know what the lineup is at least. As for a GPU OP should be able to find a used 980TI if he can afford a 1060

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I'd be able to upgrade one of them within the next couple of weeks, the other would take up to 4 months. 

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

300-350$ would be dirt cheap to get that over here, I can't seem to put all of that together for less than 450. Used hardware market here is pretty much non-existant. I'd be paying a fortune to purchase the stuff from elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, EposVox said:

I agree with this one. Especially since you can't just upgrade CPU, it'd basically be a full rebuild at that point.

I'm aware of that, I also have a friend that is oooking to upgrade from his pentium 3,so I might be able to get some money towards the graphics card as well if I do the CPU first. 

Sorry for these posts being quite chaotic and perhaps not very thought out, I'm a bit tired and typing on a mobile. 

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Not really a good choice when Coffee lake is pretty close. It's better to hold off on CPUs until we know what the lineup is at least. As for a GPU OP should be able to find a used 980TI if he can afford a 1060

Fair point. I keep forgetting about Coffee Lake, and while I'm sure its pure performance will excel now that Intel has finally been forced to reach into its vault, I question whether or not the pricing will be favorable. That was one of the main driving factors in my choosing Ryzen over Kaby a couple of months back.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Fair point. I keep forgetting about Coffee Lake, and while I'm sure its pure performance will excel now that Intel has finally been forced to reach into its vault, I question whether or not the pricing will be favorable. That was one of the main driving factors in my choosing Ryzen over Kaby a couple of months back.

Well that's why you should wait and see, the 21st we should know

Builds:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Peteris said:

Thought I should mention:

I mostly play CSGO, which is more CPU dependant and I render videos. 

But I'd also like to crank up graphics in games like GTA V. 

Then I would go with the cpu

6 minutes ago, Peteris said:

I'd be able to upgrade one of them within the next couple of weeks, the other would take up to 4 months. 

Wait until vega is released then shop for graphics cards,  vega might force some other cards on the used market and you MIGHT see some prices drop on older NVidia and amd cards.

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Then you can look at cpu motherboard and ram and see what the prices are to fit your needs.

So the best I'm getting from this is.. I should wait a few months? 

1 minute ago, Peteris said:

I'd wait until the end of August basically 

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Peteris said:

a few weeks then start shopping/ price watching

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd wait until the end of August basically 

1 minute ago, Beowulff83 said:

a few weeks then start shopping/ price watching

That was the plan either way, but I might just wait a little longer than that. Thank you for the answers.