1500€ 1080Ti build

Roamer

Hello guys, a friend of mine is looking to buy a new build that will remain very good in the coming years. He's got a budget of around 1500€ and i came up with a build like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (€199.90 @ Caseking) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€149.99 @ ARLT) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€142.93 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€165.80 @ Mindfactory) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card  (€727.84 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€86.92 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€96.14 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €1569.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-13 13:59 CEST+0200

Is this any good? Would he be better off going for an i5 instead of a Ryzen 5? 

Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Formula | CPU - i7 3770k | GPU GTX 970 | RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 (4x4) | PSU - Corsair HX1000 | STORAGE - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Hitachi 2TB HDD (3.5")  |  Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty |  Case - Thermaltake Core X9 | OS - Windows 10 Home x64

Hmm...

Maybe he can get away with a B350 board because you can overclock the R5 chip on that one as well (although i think it canonly support 3200mhz RAM speed max) Although don't get the Asus Prime B350, i heard negative reviews on that one. I would suggest looking at B350 motherboard reviews first before telling your friend.

And power supply wise i think he can drop it down to 600W but still 80+ Gold rating.

And no, don't get an i5 for now. R5 is future proof with more cores and threads, although if the rumors are true, the Coffee Lake i5's will have 6 cores, but no hyperthreading, so we'll just have to wait and see for that..

Aaaaaand cue huge CPU bottleneck. xD The 1080 Ti is one of those GPUs that you buy when you're planning to do WAY more with your PC than just gaming. I built a friend a desktop PC recently with the 1600X and a 1080 and I doubted he could use that GPU to its fullest in games. Legitimately speaking, you won't be hampered in any way really, even a super heavily overclocked 7700K can't unlock what the 1080 Ti can really do, but that's more of a matter of... well... optimization at that point rather than the hardware not being capable enough. ^^;

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

2 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Aaaaaand cue huge CPU bottleneck. xD The 1080 Ti is one of those GPUs that you buy when you're planning to do WAY more with your PC than just gaming. I built a friend a desktop PC recently with the 1600X and a 1080 and I doubted he could use that GPU to its fullest in games. Legitimately speaking, you won't be hampered in any way really, even a super heavily overclocked 7700K can't unlock what the 1080 Ti can really do, but that's more of a matter of... well... optimization at that point rather than the hardware not being capable enough. ^^;

Depends more on the resolution of the screen

:)

2 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

That depends on the resolution his friend plays, actually... maybe he plays at a higher resolution..?

14 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

It's not really about being able to use it to the fullest rn but mostly about being able to run AAA games at high settings many many years from now.

11 minutes ago, AP_97 said:

That depends on the resolution his friend plays, actually... maybe he plays at a higher resolution..?

What exactly do you mean? Less bottlenecking at higher res?

Motherboard - Asus Maximus V Formula | CPU - i7 3770k | GPU GTX 970 | RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 (4x4) | PSU - Corsair HX1000 | STORAGE - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Hitachi 2TB HDD (3.5")  |  Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty |  Case - Thermaltake Core X9 | OS - Windows 10 Home x64

23 minutes ago, Roamer said:

What exactly do you mean? Less bottlenecking at higher res?

At higher resolution, the GPU takes more of the load, and making the CPU work less. Because the CPU renders the frames, but the GPU renders the visuals. Heavier visuals like 4K for instance is almost always be GPU dependant. While less intensive resolutions like 1080p the GPU can render the visuals easy, it's just a matter of the CPU to render the player + NPC + enviroment changes, making the CPU work harder as a result