Fan On my GPU would not start

Raj8396

The fan on my GPU is not starting up, i have to give it a push and than it starts rotating.

Help please.

Could it be because there is dust in the fan, i am thinking about putting some lubricating oil in it, is that a good idea

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Does it start up if it's under load? What card is it?

Sounds like either the motor is burning out or the there isn't enough voltage getting to it. Did you fiddle with the fan control settings at all? I've never experienced it with a GPU fan, but its a problem I run into a lot when I try to undervolt case fans. All fans do have a minimum startup voltage that needs to be met to give them a push to get going. Set manual fan control with MSI Afterburner or Catalyst or Nvidia CC or whatever you use and bump the minimum fan speed to 100% and see what happens.

Does it start up if it's under load? What card is it?
It's a old 9500gt, and no it doesn't start under load either

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Sounds like either the motor is burning out or the there isn't enough voltage getting to it. Did you fiddle with the fan control settings at all? I've never experienced it with a GPU fan, but its a problem I run into a lot when I try to undervolt case fans. All fans do have a minimum startup voltage that needs to be met to give them a push to get going. Set manual fan control with MSI Afterburner or Catalyst or Nvidia CC or whatever you use and bump the minimum fan speed to 100% and see what happens.
Ok I will try that, thanks

it didn't work :(

Inspect the card; it could be that the fan connector is not seated fully onto the connector on the motherboard. If it's not seated, just push it down until it clicks in and feels like it's on there. Obviously ensure the system is completely powered off and disconnected from the wall.