FPS drops / Stuttering across all games and cards - help

Go to solution Solved by Ophidio,

That's your problem, you tried uninstalling just using the OS. When you "uninstall" a driver through the OS it doesn't actually uninstall. You need to download the program Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to your system. Once you get that installed and setup to where you can find it easily you need to restart your PC and boot into safe mode. While in safe mode launch DDU and uninstall your drivers then restart your system again. I would suggest doing this while on integrated graphics just to make sure it get's any traces of Nvidia off your system. Then once you've uninstalled all Nvidia related things you can put your 1060 in and download the drivers straight from Nvidia. I wouldn't even suggest using GeForce Experience as it kind of sucks now.... a lot....

But the reason you are having this stutter problem is because without DDU windows does not uninstall the driver completely, so when you "uninstalled" it it just deleted a few of the files but didn't get rid of it completely. So when you reinstalled it just put the new driver on top of the old driver and your system was trying to use both at once which is what made everything go wonky. 

TL:DR, Download DDU, Install DDU, reboot system into safe mode, launch DDU, uninstall drivers, reboot system, install new drivers. 

Hey, I really need some help on this guys.

Previously I had a 750ti and just now bought a 1060. The card came in the mail and I uninstalled my drivers, put the 1060 in, and reinstalled the drivers. I was playing a game and noticed that my FPS was dropping / the game was stuttering a little bit. Not too bad, but noticeable. Looked at some troubleshooting guides and put the prerendered frames to 1, and put shadow cache to off. I then told my bios to use gen3 instead of auto picking. None of that helped. So now I switched back to my 750ti and it is having the same stuttering issues as the 1060 had, but it did not have this problem before i tried installing the 1060.

Could I have messed up the pcie slot or something? It could maybe be the drivers, but I was already using the newest one out before I got my 1060.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

sounds like a CPU bottleneck to me, but maybe a clean install of windows will help. removing drivers can be a pain in the backside, it doesn't always go smoothly

2 minutes ago, stefanDB said:

sounds like a CPU bottleneck to me, but maybe a clean install of windows will help. removing drivers can be a pain in the backside, it doesn't always go smoothly

I monitored the CPU usage while playing and it didn't get close to being at 100%. Max I saw was maybe 50%. I'll probably try giving it a clean install.

Just now, Epic_Nex said:

I monitored the CPU usage while playing and it didn't get close to being at 100%. Max I saw was maybe 50%. I'll probably try giving it a clean install.

there could still be a CPU bottleneck, especially if you have an AMD FX CPU or something like that, because many games can only use a few cores, so the CPU usage never reaches 100% if there are more cores than the game can use yet the game is still bottlenecked by the CPU.

What kind of CPU are you using, what game were you testing this in, what are all of the other specs of your system? There's a lot of information needed to really be able to solve and help you with this problem. 

Did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers or did you just go in a delete them through your OS?

There is just way to many factor that can play into this problem and not enough to go on to fix this issue. Like @stefanDB said, it could be a CPU bottleneck but we don't really know because we don't know what kind of system you actually have. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

1 minute ago, Ophidio said:

What kind of CPU are you using, what game were you testing this in, what are all of the other specs of your system? There's a lot of information needed to really be able to solve and help you with this problem. 

Did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers or did you just go in a delete them through your OS?

There is just way to many factor that can play into this problem and not enough to go on to fix this issue. Like @stefanDB said, it could be a CPU bottleneck but we don't really know because we don't know what kind of system you actually have. 

i5-4460, msi h97 pc mate, 8gb ram, rosewill psu 550w

runescape & minecraft, but I was also watching videos and noticed it there

I just uninstalled using the OS

4 minutes ago, Epic_Nex said:

i5-4460, msi h97 pc mate, 8gb ram, rosewill psu 550w

runescape & minecraft, but I was also watching videos and noticed it there

I just uninstalled using the OS

Just tested playing league as well, same thing.

That's your problem, you tried uninstalling just using the OS. When you "uninstall" a driver through the OS it doesn't actually uninstall. You need to download the program Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to your system. Once you get that installed and setup to where you can find it easily you need to restart your PC and boot into safe mode. While in safe mode launch DDU and uninstall your drivers then restart your system again. I would suggest doing this while on integrated graphics just to make sure it get's any traces of Nvidia off your system. Then once you've uninstalled all Nvidia related things you can put your 1060 in and download the drivers straight from Nvidia. I wouldn't even suggest using GeForce Experience as it kind of sucks now.... a lot....

But the reason you are having this stutter problem is because without DDU windows does not uninstall the driver completely, so when you "uninstalled" it it just deleted a few of the files but didn't get rid of it completely. So when you reinstalled it just put the new driver on top of the old driver and your system was trying to use both at once which is what made everything go wonky. 

TL:DR, Download DDU, Install DDU, reboot system into safe mode, launch DDU, uninstall drivers, reboot system, install new drivers. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

31 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

I went into bios to turn on secure boot and it briefly gave me this message that said I need to use some user mode or something, and then  it shut down. Now I am having trouble booting into bios or loading windows.

37 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

Just got back into BIOS and it said CPU was running at 100C, so that was why it was not booting into windows/bios, but I dont know why it is that hot. All the fans are working and it isn't that dusty.

Just an update, fixed the temperature issue by resetting bios back to default and making sure the cooler was set right... think it was just in moving the machine so much it came loose i guess. Its the stock cooler. Just used ddu and seeing if it helped.

1 hour ago, Ophidio said:

Hey thanks for the help. I have tested it out a little and so far it seems to have worked. For future reference, how would you go about installing the newest drivers? Do you use DDU every time you want to go to a new version or just download the drivers and let nvidia do it? Or do you not install new drivers at all?

Me personally I use DDU everytime as that was suggested to me once by a user over on the Nvidia subreddit for an issue I once had. I'm glad your issue finally got solved and sorry you had to deal with so much other crap in between as well. I always install the new drivers when they come out unless there is something mentioned to be wrong with them. With nvidia cards it's always a good idea to check the Nvidia subreddit before downloading the new drivers though as they test the drivers extensively to find any problems there may be with them. Nvidia has kind of been screwing up their drivers recently too. 

51 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

Me personally I use DDU everytime as that was suggested to me once by a user over on the Nvidia subreddit for an issue I once had. I'm glad your issue finally got solved and sorry you had to deal with so much other crap in between as well. I always install the new drivers when they come out unless there is something mentioned to be wrong with them. With nvidia cards it's always a good idea to check the Nvidia subreddit before downloading the new drivers though as they test the drivers extensively to find any problems there may be with them. Nvidia has kind of been screwing up their drivers recently too. 

And what about geforce experience? 

I don't use it, but that was because something with it kept making my pc bluescreen. If it works for you then use it, i did like it when it did work but that was before they change it completely.