Is it possible?

Jamdude
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

If I used this and this, what speakers from the system would emit audio, if any?

They should all work, unless the system is stupid and only plays front left and right. You'll only be putting in stereo, though, so don't expect magical surround sound.

SCART to HDMI adapters are 30-40 pounds if you wanted surround sound.

I've got an old Sony DAV-TZ230 theater system that I want to hook it up to my PC but it doesn't have an optical audio output, only an HDMI out.  I want to use it to play audio through the speakers of the system if it's at all possible.  The speaker wire uses Sony's proprietary connectors so I can't plug the speakers in to anything else, is there any way at all I would be able to connect the system to my computer to play audio from my PC through them?

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

In the tech specs it says it doesn't have optical in, but in the description it says something about USB...?

In the tech specs it says it doesn't have optical in, but in the description it says something about USB...?

No optical but it has a USB port at the front of the DVD player.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I'm sure you can find it in the UK too.

I found one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-Adapter-PHONO-S-VHS-OUT/dp/B000JJ5FLG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1385806344&sr=8-7&keywords=SCART+Adaptor+with+Switch but what do I do with it :P  Do I just plug the scart in to the speaker system and plug one of these in to the red and white then the 3.5 jack in to my PC?

Kinda lost in the sauce, but...yes. 

Not sure what you mean there but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Not sure what you mean there but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

You don't know many Marines do you....

You don't know many Marines do you....

Nope, but I'm guessing you do.

If I used this and this, what speakers from the system would emit audio, if any?

They should all work, unless the system is stupid and only plays front left and right. You'll only be putting in stereo, though, so don't expect magical surround sound.

I don't mind if it doesn't output surround sound, do you think the center speaker will work though?  I'm not expecting the rear speakers and sub to work.

The system should play on all the speakers, I just don't know for sure if it will.

I'll buy those wires and see if it works, if it doesn't could this do the trick?  If I plugged that in to the scart on the system and then an optical audio cable from my PC to it?

I'll buy those wires and see if it works, if it doesn't could this do the trick?  If I plugged that in to the scart on the system and then an optical audio cable from my PC to it?

lol no, that plugs into an Xbox 360

lol no, that plugs into an Xbox 360

Oh, I thought it was just a scart :P haha alright then, thanks for your help :)

The system should play on all the speakers, I just don't know for sure if it will.

It works! O.o my connectors just came and it's emitting full surround sound :D  There is quite a lot of static noise though which appears to only happen when my PC is doing something like moving my mouse or graphics card being used, there is no static at all when I plug it in my phone rather than PC  :(

EDIT:  @ShearMe, would using the FiiO E10 get rid of the static noise by taking the interface away from my PC?

It works! O.o my connectors just came and it's emitting full surround sound :D

woo-hoo!

There is quite a lot of static noise though :(

Aww poop. I'm willing to bet it's a ground loop of some sort. You sure it's more of a static and not a hum?

You sure it's more of a static and not a hum?

It's pretty static-like.  I edited my last post, the static noise increases depending on how much my PC is doing but seems to be a bit hit and miss - it happens sometimes but not all.

Yeah, that's a ground loop of some sort. Unfortunately, the possible solutions are as diverse as the number of combinations of equipment. 

Is the computer and sound system plugged into the same outlet?

Yeah, that's a ground loop of some sort. Unfortunately, the possible solutions are as diverse as the number of combinations of equipment. 

Is the computer and sound system plugged into the same outlet?

No they aren't, should they be?  Sockets in the UK are all grounded so I assumed they were the same electrical potential.

No they aren't, should they be?  Sockets in the UK are all grounded so I assumed they were the same electrical potential.

Try if you can, that's the easiest possible solution I've found.

Edit: as far as the E10, it probably wouldn't fix a ground loop issue, if that's the issue. If the problem is just bad onboard audio, you'd benefit from a cheaper DAC like the FiiO D3 or Behringer UCA 202.

Try if you can, that's the easiest possible solution I've found.

Edit: as far as the E10, it probably wouldn't fix a ground loop issue, if that's the issue. If the problem is just bad onboard audio, you'd benefit from a cheaper DAC like the FiiO D3 or Behringer UCA 202.

I don't think the problem is a ground loop, even when both plugged in to the same outlet I still get the buzzing/static sound.  I think it's interference, as I move my mouse or if my computer does something then the speakers start making buzzing sounds.  This happens when the 3.5mm jack to the speakers is plugged in the onboard audio and front panel audio.  Would something like the E10 fix this problem?  The speakers don't make any unusual sounds when the 3.5mm is plugged in to my phone rather than my computer.

I don't think the problem is a ground loop, even when both plugged in to the same outlet I still get the buzzing/static sound.  I think it's interference, as I move my mouse or if my computer does something then the speakers start making buzzing sounds.  This happens when the 3.5mm jack to the speakers is plugged in the onboard audio and front panel audio.  Would something like the E10 fix this problem?  The speakers don't make any unusual sounds when the 3.5mm is plugged in to my phone rather than my computer.

You phone has it's own power supply, so a ground loop cannot occur.  :rolleyes: Using the same outlet wasn't a guaranteed fix. I got confused for a second and thought you purchased the HDMI adapter, but now that I know you're using the RCA adapter... there's plenty of ground loop isolators on Amazon.

Like I said in the last post, IF a FiiO E10 would solve the problem, so would a cheaper DAC. No need to waste money.